The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

6 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Surprised the Record haven’t ran a story about that time John McMasters throat viciously jumped under Willie Johnston’s  boot in 1980. 

I know. I can never understand it. Maybe next time we play Rangers.

Why do you think that's the case?
Was it ever thus, but it now emerges more on account of looser editing due to the scale and nature of the media involved?
Does it reflect a genuine decline in the general standards of such things?
I certainly have a feeling that you're right, but I wonder what's behind it.

My feeling is that journalism (especially sports journalism) is a much less prestigious and much more poorly paid profession than it used to be, and therefore many folk who would have had that career 20 or 30 years ago will look at something else now.

9 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Surprised the Record haven’t ran a story about that time John McMasters throat viciously jumped under Willie Johnston’s  boot in 1980. 

There was an article that suggested his biggest regret was that it was not Willie Miller ( allegedly )

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My feeling is that journalism (especially sports journalism) is a much less prestigious and much more poorly paid profession than it used to be, and therefore many folk who would have had that career 20 or 30 years ago will look at something else now.

Yes, that's probably true.

A related idea would be that people who would have got nowhere near such positions in bygone years, might have a chance now.

I do have a bee in my bonnet that football coverage is especially forgiving in this regard.  You simply would not get political writing of this type on a BBC platform.  I'd also argue that you'd be a lot less likely to encounter it with cricket, golf or rugby.

As I said, maybe it shouldn't bother me too much because I don't suppose it matters that hugely.  It's annoying though when a lack of care is evident in something that feels important.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's probably true.

A related idea would be that people who would have got nowhere near such positions in bygone years, might have a chance now.

I do have a bee in my bonnet that football coverage is especially forgiving in this regard.  You simply would not get political writing of this type on a BBC platform.  I'd also argue that you'd be a lot less likely to encounter it with cricket, golf or rugby.

As I said, maybe it shouldn't bother me too much because I don't suppose it matters that hugely.  It's annoying though when a lack of care is evident in something that feels important.

If they are not bothered  as a journalist, with regard to the standard of their writing in terms of grammar and spelling, then perhaps accuracy and investigation are next to suffer from that approach to their profession? If they get away with it because the editor either is unwilling or incapable of correcting the submission, then who teaches the next junior journalist to do it correctly? 

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

Anyway English nearly spontaneously combusting on Sp#rts##nd tonight when Daryl asked if the desks had been sanitised

( I did not understand how #ngl#sh could say Celtic had lost interest in Europe in recent times when they had quite a few ( good ) moments in Europe last season )

There was a " Stalin is finished " vibe to the programme although this might have been because the presenter was a ###

Edited by ewan14