The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54016739

I find this article quite unclear.

It talks about Celtic & Rangers being unable to host test events due to Glasgow lockdown, but also implies that the whole test event scenario for 12 September is finished. The government quote says no test events will take place 'there' in reference to the Glasgow lockdown.

Of course, it was actually Ross County who were meant to be hosting a test event against Celtic, but the article doesn't really say if that is going ahead or has also been canned.

The 'chip on my shoulder' part of my brain says their inherent need to focus on the OF has detracted from actually giving a clear message on what's happening.

Am I misreading or is this as unclear as I think?

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Am I misreading or is this as unclear as I think?

I think it is badly written and unclear, although probably has undertones of "Old Firm* important, the rest irrelevant".

I "assume" that part of the additional lockdown measures in Glasgow impacts on the ability to host the match at Ibrox.

What that means for the Ross county match has no explanation.

*usual caveat

36 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54016739

I find this article quite unclear.

It talks about Celtic & Rangers being unable to host test events due to Glasgow lockdown, but also implies that the whole test event scenario for 12 September is finished. The government quote says no test events will take place 'there' in reference to the Glasgow lockdown.

Of course, it was actually Ross County who were meant to be hosting a test event against Celtic, but the article doesn't really say if that is going ahead or has also been canned.

Yeah it's unclear. It says the Ross County game 'had' been flagged for a test, so you'd surmise that's off now. So you have to assume that was down to the rule against visiting 'other households'; and from that you'd have to further assume the plan was to allow away supporters, and extrapolate that football grounds are considered households. All a guess though.

But what is clear throughout is the importance of old firm to Scottish football, obviously.

Edited by Mr Heliums

7 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I think it is badly written and unclear, although probably has undertones of "Old Firm* important, the rest irrelevant".

I "assume" that part of the additional lockdown measures in Glasgow impacts on the ability to host the match at Ibrox.

What that means for the Ross county match has no explanation.

*usual caveat

Yeah, my reading of Glasgow lockdown impacting this would be that Ibrox can't be used for the proposed dates, but the others are open to discussion.

The article appears to muddy the waters by referencing both the OF teams, citing the Ross County game but not actually clarifying if it's still on.

6 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yeah it's unclear. It says the Ross County game 'had' been flagged for a test, so you'd surmise that's off now. So you have to assume that was down to the rule against visiting 'other households'; and from that you'd have to further assume the plan was to allow away supporters, and extrapolate that football grounds are considered households. All a guess though.

But what is clear throughout is the importance of old firm to Scottish football, obviously.

My understanding was that at this point any test event would be ST holders only with no away fans being allowed to travel.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah, my reading of Glasgow lockdown impacting this would be that Ibrox can't be used for the proposed dates, but the others are open to discussion.

The article appears to muddy the waters by referencing both the OF teams, citing the Ross County game but not actually clarifying if it's still on.

My understanding was that at this point any test event would be ST holders only with no away fans being allowed to travel.

Surely if this trial goes ahead, it's home fans only.

There would be no reason to cancel the test event in Dingwall. There's only been 13 confirmed cases in the entire Highlands last week, and only home STH would be permitted to enter.

I presume that for the duration of the lockdown, the stadiums located in the affected areas won't be considered for selection for a test event.

Aberdeen travelled to play St Johnstone while Aberdeen was in lockdown, so, given that Ross County can control who gets into the ground, there is no reason for the Ross County v Celtic match not now to be a test event. All that Ross County have to do is ensure that the season ticket holders who get a ticket for the match stay locally. Given who they are playing I would also imagine that folk getting into the ground would have to provide decent id with their season ticket.

This absolute tripe in The Glasgow Times. It has been pointed out several times that the quarantine doesn't apply to elite athletes - we've already seen Glasgow City play in Spain and Willie Collum refereeing there. Scotland will be playing in the Czech Republic on Monday too.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18696381.doubt-cast-rangers-europa-league-trip-quarantine-fears/?ref=twtrec

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
7 minutes ago, G51 said:
Grantown is a piece away from Dingwall pal. You can get from Glasgow to Edinburgh quicker.

So why did you bring the entire Highlands into the conversation only to back-track and decide it was irrelevant?

To illustrate that the level of the virus in the Highlands is close to zero.

A cluster in an abbatoir in Grantown-on-Spey doesn't change that. Therefore there is no reason for this test event not to go ahead.

Thel reporting on the St Mirren player who tested positive for COVID-19 clearly suggests Saturday's game is in doubt because of earlier penalties handed out to Aberdeen and Celtic. Yet the three-game postponements for those clubs were down to  quarantine breaches, not because a single player tested positive. Is that meant to be implied from the article?

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 07.06.20.png

18 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Thel reporting on the St Mirren player who tested positive for COVID-19 clearly suggests Saturday's game is in doubt because of earlier penalties handed out to Aberdeen and Celtic. Yet the three-game postponements for those clubs were down to  quarantine breaches, not because a single player tested positive. Is that meant to be implied from the article?

In fairness, as soon as there's any positive test there will be discussions had as to potential wider impact to squad/coaching staff and whether or not the game can go ahead.

'Casts doubt' is probably a fair comment. Although the comparison to the Dons & Celtic is a bit irrelevant, I agree.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

All they have is the players test result so they padded out the story with old stuff.