The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

4 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Graham Spiers blatantly making things up in his Times article now:

He's desperate to blame the SG for this. Bit weird.

Unionists are trying their best to make this all about the Scottish Government.

It must be the first time in decades that the Scottish football press have favoured Aberdeen FC.

There's a whiff of circling the wagons, certainly among the ex- professionals.

Of course if this had been, say, Albion Rovers players being caught up in a lockdown in Coatbridge after a night out in Owen's it would be headlines like "disgrace of diddy plague spreading club"

23 minutes ago, Zoomer Brown said:

wonder if Tom English thinks we should kick the sheep out the league and promote Hearts...

might be doing us a favour if so! If the Accies and Ra Cellick games go ahead minus the 'Soul 8' could be 0pts from 3. At least we lead the way on the covid count though.

25 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

I see nothing about today’s games on the BBC sport main page or the football main page. You have to know what you’re looking for to find today’s SPFL Premiership results

I had heard some rumour your team weren't playing, but I'm not sure of the full story...

I had heard some rumour your team weren't playing, but I'm not sure of the full story...

So, clearly, knowing this, I was standing up for better coverage of ALL SPFL Premiership teams then.

Knobjockey!

On 07/08/2020 at 22:41, Aim Here said:

It's unfair to snark at the BBC's press roundup column for either 'plagiarism' - all the sources are credited and the BBC isn't taking credit  for them - or reporting that other press outlets are putting out contradictory stories.

Got to say I would rather my taxes were better spent at a taxpayer funded news organisation than repeating gossip from other news sources I wouldn't spend 2 minutes or 2 pence reading or buying e.g. the Sun or Record. Their journalists time would be better spent looking for real stories that are of interest not copying garbage from garbage sources. 

If you are happy with that quality, then good luck to you.

Edited by SouthLanarkshireWhite

1 minute ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Got to say I would rather my taxes were better spent at a taxpayer funded news organisation than repeating gossip from other news sources I wouldn't spend 2 minutes or 2 pence reading or buying e.g. the Sun or Record. Their journalists time would be better spent looking for real stories that are of interest not copying garbage from garbage sources. 

If you are happy with that quality, then good luck to you.

Journalists have to keep an eye on the opposition anyways, as part of their job. It likely takes about two minutes out of their day to go from 'reading the papers to find out what the BBC missed' to 'writing one sentence on each of the main stories in the press roundup column'.

10 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Journalists have to keep an eye on the opposition anyways, as part of their job. It likely takes about two minutes out of their day to go from 'reading the papers to find out what the BBC missed' to 'writing one sentence on each of the main stories in the press roundup column'.

Short step from there to not bothering doing your own work. Anyway, if the Sun or Record is the opposition to the BBC then it as fallen further than I thought.

Guest Flash
15 hours ago, Widge said:

image.png.361ca289bd64dac673e873453e333d84.png

Must have missed the opening day draw we got.....

2 games in and they don't even know results.

When they are dishing out the points on Eurovision and a country scores zero, they don’t say “nul points” they just don’t say anything.

On 07/08/2020 at 22:45, Miguel Sanchez said:

I think criticism of the BBC acting as a bullshit aggregator for the rest of the pondlife that 'reports' on Scottish football is wholly deserved tbh

Totally agree.

It's a bit like those "worst poster of all time" threads you get on here.  You have those who contribute spiteful little lies about people.  However, the 'aggregator' who dutifully compiles and publishes them, carries a greater moral responsibility, even if he or she tries to duck it.

Totally agree.
It's a bit like those "worst poster of all time" threads you get on here.  You have those who contribute spiteful little lies about people.  However, the 'aggregator' who dutifully compiles and publishes them, carries a greater moral responsibility, even if he or she tries to duck it.
So Kincy really isn't the worst poster then?

[emoji6]

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Totally agree.

I am affronted by the suggestion I tried to duck any sort of responsibility, thank you

It's also nothing like that, actually

Edited by Miguel Sanchez