The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

11 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
16 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:
Yup, it's just a cut and paste job. They must have had a few complaints in and think if they send that out that will be the end of it.
It's not. I have a case number and I'm taking it further. There have been other occasions where I felt I should have said something over the years, but the bit is between the teeth now. Ultimately it may do nothing, but I cannot let his/their output continue to insult my intelligence.

Same here

Jeez what's happened, agreeing with an Arab?? 😂

16 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

Yup, it's just a cut and paste job. They must have had a few complaints in and think if they send that out that will be the end of it.

It's not. I have a case number and I'm taking it further. There have been other occasions where I felt I should have said something over the years, but the bit is between the teeth now. Ultimately it may do nothing, but I cannot let his/their output continue to insult my intelligence.

I sent mine as a message to the editors of the website over this article and referring to Sportsound too, saying it looked like it was written by the Tynecastle press officer after one too many. No reply but the next day podcast had English being lightly grilled for the first time about allegations of bias at the start of the show. I claim full responsibility although Les Gray was mentioned too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53062777

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I sent mine as a message to the editors of the website over this article and referring to Sportsound too, saying it looked like it was written by the Tynecastle press officer after one too many. No reply but the next day podcast had English being lightly grilled for the first time about allegations of bias at the start of the show. I claim full responsibility although Les Gray was mentioned too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53062777

I know the podcast you're refering to.  Tom couldn't fathom why Les Gray wouldn't come on. Did he not say something like if he had  justification or  a valid argument he would come on and debate it, there is no other side or they would come on?

No self awareness that there is maybe no point if you get talked down to, treated like an idiot (when not justified) purely for holding a different opinion.

9 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

I know the podcast you're refering to.  Tom couldn't fathom why Les Gray wouldn't come on. Did he not say something like if he had  justification or  a valid argument he would come on and debate it, there is no other side or they would come on?

No self awareness that there is maybe no point if you get talked down to, treated like an idiot (when not justified) purely for holding a different opinion.

Yeah, he said there was no bias as Doncaster as well was invited to come on the show at least every week but had only accepted twice since it kicked off. Sounded a bit rattled. Demanded to know the names of who other than Gray had complained. :lol:

Edited by welshbairn

30 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Found an old scrapbook in the loft earlier and in it was this editorial from the Evening Times written at the time we were leaving Shawfield.

Same old arguments 30+ years ago. I t could have been written by Ann Budge.

At least the whole merger idea seems to have been dumped in the fetid cludgie of history.

Mind when that was all the rage back in the '80s? Every c**t was after teams being smooshed together.

At least the whole merger idea seems to have been dumped in the fetid cludgie of history.
Mind when that was all the rage back in the '80s? Every c**t was after teams being smooshed together.
They took it to an extreme in Denmark, it's hard finding a team more than twenty-five years old there.

55 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

image.png.d411378e95f19b1502b99315b76bcd4f.png

Found an old scrapbook in the loft earlier and in it was this editorial from the Evening Times written at the time we were leaving Shawfield.

The Jambo's had a try at it and Save Our Hibs fought back.

The early 1980s were a bad time with unemployment and low crowds. As an occasional Shawfield punter i was lost for good. I was never going to to Hamilton or Firhill to watch the Bully Wee. Truly the lights had went out this time for good. 

And there was no pyramid in those days. All a club had to do was stay afloat financially although that went tits up with more than a few, Clydebank, Airdrie, Dundee, Rangers........

And now there's 190 clubs below from the SosFL to the HL and everything in between thinking a set of floodlights and six shower heads and it's book a bus to Elgin time. The ex Juniors will boss that LL by 2030. Luckily most ex Juniors clubs and fans are happy to find a level that suits them. You probably only need to worry about Talbot and maybe six others. Let's face it, any SFL2 clubs that drops down must be pretty poor to start with.

16 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

image.png.d411378e95f19b1502b99315b76bcd4f.png

30 years on and journalists still don't know the difference between "senior" and "league" clubs.

14 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53222396

Levein now seems to be implying that it was overmighty sports scientists that caused Hearts' demise.

"I found it quite alien. The difficulty is sports scientists speak to the players and they start to believe they shouldn't be tired and they want to do less."

Speaking to the Scottish Football Podcast former Dundee United and Scotland manager Levein pointed towards to the success in England this season of Liverpool and, in the second tier, Leeds United, who play a high-tempo game.

Hearts sport science staff:

Club Doctor Ivan Brenkel
Physio Karen Gibson
Sports Scientist Mike Williams

Liverpool sport science staff:

• Matt Konopinski - Physiotherapist
  • Paul Small - Masseur
  • Sylvan Richardson - Masseur
  • Graham Carter - Kit Manager
  • Jordan Milsom - Rehab Fitness Coach
  • Barry Drust - Sports Science Consultant
  • James Morton - Consultant Nutritionist
  • David Rydings - Strength and Rehabilitation Assistant
  • Paulo Barreira - Physiotherapist
  • Pedro Philippou - Sports therapist
  • Andreas Kornmeyer - Head of Fitness/Conditioning
  • Tim Jenkins - Head of Development Analysis Academy
  • Joe Lewis - Sports Therapist
  • Andy O'Boyle - Head of Fitness - U21
  • Andy Renshaw - Head Academy Physiotherapist
  • Richie Partridge - U21 Physiotherapist
  • Remy Tang - U18's Fitness Coach
  • Liam Kershaw - U18 Academy Phyiotherapist
  • Oliver Morgan - Assistant Academy Sports Scientist

Leeds sport science team:

Head of Medicine and Performance England Rob Price[141]
Fitness Coach Spain Rubén Crespo[141]
Fitness Coach France Benoit Delaval[139]
Sports Scientist England Tom Robinson[142]
Sports Scientist Greece Alexandros Kapsis[143]
Head Physio Republic of Ireland Henry McStay[144]
Assistant Physio England Daryl Carter[145]
Assistant Physio England William Atton[146]
Head Of Nutrition England Nessan Costello[147]

That research there took about 3 minutes. There might be a connection as to why the teams named by Levein are able to play a high tempo game across a long season whilst Hearts had multiple and recurring injuries.

Edited by DA Baracus

10 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

I’m assuming you’ve all listened to the podcast, but he was talking about Leicester.

From the article:

There is a "growing feeling" that sports scientists now wield too much power among Scottish clubs, says former Hearts manager Craig Levein.

3 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53222396

Levein now seems to be implying that it was overmighty sports scientists that caused Hearts' demise.

Was that the guy with the laptop that he was on about ? Levein kept his mate though. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Tom English claiming that a 'good pro' would have no issue with agreeing to a pay cut then Hearts spending money on players was baffling.

I'm not saying Hearts are necessarily wrong to be signing players but I can imagine if I'd agreed to a pay cut in good faith to help the club, I'd be within my rights to question them going on a spending spree.