The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, Ric said:

This is Tom English, the person who didn't quibble with successful businesswoman Ann Budge's assertion that Heart of Seethelothian were "too big to go down". It's clear that he is batting for one side here, and one side alone. Anything said in their defence is acceptable no matter how condescending, anything said to the opposite is a heinous crime on the "integrity of the sport".

As for the context, the source seems to come from The Times (which is behind a paywall) and is based on discussions he's had with his legal team. I'm guessing most know who MacGregor is in terms of being a successful businessman, and certainly more successful than the previously mentioned Budge, but you'd feel he'd have access to a decent quality QC.

And also a different sex.

On 21/06/2020 at 13:38, Pie Of The Month said:

The Athletic's Alfredo Morelos profile starts off with this...

His mum would then cut the embryo out of the iguana and cook it in a homemade soup.

Call me old-fashioned, but I much prefer my iguanas to be oviparous*. Because then you could just forage for an entire clutch of the tiny eggs, instead of mutilating the source of further victuals.

All this talk of reptiles reminds me of an episode of 30 Rock. Liz Lemon is trying to prevail upon Tracy Jordan to modify his behaviour, to which he passionately replies:

"I can't change LL! I'm like a chameleon - always a lizard!"

* Fortunately, they are.

All this talk of reptiles reminds me of an episode of 30 Rock. Liz Lemon is trying to prevail upon Tracy Jordan to modify his behaviour, to which he passionately replies:

"I can't change LL! I'm like a chameleon - always a lizard!"

* Fortunately, they are.

Possibly one for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but that's an excellent example of why 30 Rock is the greatest sitcom of this century.

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Possibly one for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but that's an excellent example of why 30 Rock is the greatest sitcom of this century.

'I once saw a baby giving another baby a tattoo. They were very drunk!'

Only dementia will erase those words from my memory. 

Listened to today's podcast. Tom English"The hypocrisy in this is off the scale". First thing he's really said that's accurate in this situation, although he didn't use it the way most of us on here would have.

Edited by Tannadeechee

31 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Listened to today's podcast. Tom English"The hypocrisy in this is off the scale". First thing he's really said that's accurate in this situation, although he didn't use it the way most of us on here would have.

Yeah. Stuck up for his favourite successful businesswoman when he dismissed what she said about accepting the will of the football community a couple of months ago because she only said it the once. However I don’t think he’s been on once in the last month or so without shouting about how McGregor said Hearts should “take their medicine”. I’m pretty sure McGregor’s only said that the once too. 

On 21/06/2020 at 13:42, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure what's funnier, Morelos showing complete contempt to The Athletic's Rangers blogger and feeding him this bullshit story, or said blogger actually believing him and printing it.

On 22/06/2020 at 00:48, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

That was the guy who claimed he knew that the Celtic fans were thinking racist thoughts when Morelos was sent off for the cut throat gesture.

He's a simpering myopic. Writing blogs that verge on being fan fiction.

I've wanted to sign up to the athletic for a while now but simply can't due to the fact that cretin produces a fair portion of the Scottish writing.

7 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

This was actually quite funny. He was quoted Ann Budge's comments about accepting relegation and essentially said "yeah she said that, but she also said other things! And when she said that it was just to bring clubs with her on reconstruction"

Ahh ok Tom so she was just blustering lies to get votes for reconstruction. Much better. 

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I've wanted to sign up to the athletic for a while now but simply can't due to the fact that cretin produces a fair portion of the Scottish writing.

I did sign up and it’s really not worth it. If you’re into English and European football the standard of writing is pretty good and you can get your money’s worth out of it but the Scottish coverage is almost entirely just The Celtic and Rangers correspondents writing solely about those clubs. If Scottish football is your main interest it’s pretty much just an old firm fanzine.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

I did sign up and it’s really not worth it. If you’re into English and European football the standard of writing is pretty good and you can get your money’s worth out of it but the Scottish coverage is almost entirely just The Celtic and Rangers correspondents writing solely about those clubs. If Scottish football is your main interest it’s pretty much just an old firm fanzine.

Ah thanks for the heads up. I am interested in English football but not to the extent I'd be signing up for that alone.

Still find it bizarre that Rangers correspondent was fine to take aim at SPFL fans on twitter without repercussions. How can you take his reporting seriously when he's getting in to petty squabbles with fans of other clubs?

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

This was actually quite funny. He was quoted Ann Budge's comments about accepting relegation and essentially said "yeah she said that, but she also said other things! And when she said that it was just to bring clubs with her on reconstruction"

Ahh ok Tom so she was just blustering lies to get votes for reconstruction. Much better. 

Yes, you know when you're on the wrong side of an argument when you're essentially asking: 'which is worse, hypocrisy or opportunistic cynicism?'

1 minute ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yes, you know when you're on the wrong side of an argument when you're essentially asking: 'which is worse, hypocrisy or opportunistic cynicism?'

I don't actually have much animosity towards Budge on this, but English's one-eyed approach on the issue has been absolutely baffling. He's just gone head first into ranting now.

45 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't actually have much animosity towards Budge on this, but English's one-eyed approach on the issue has been absolutely baffling. He's just gone head first into ranting now.

Yes, it's inexplicable.  You can pretty much say anything in the tone of voice that English uses to say 'take their medicine' & it'll sound sinister.  

57 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He’s gone head first, right up Budge’s arse, and unfortunately for the rest of us, has been unable to find his way out yet.

14 minutes ago, MacArab said:

He’s gone head first, right up Budge’s arse, and unfortunately for the rest of us, has been unable to find his way out yet.

It's quite weird that the only thing he criticised her for was making a diplomatic and friendly statement about Stendel leaving.

Seems she should have said "Useless c**t, well shot." and he'd have been happy.

Edited by welshbairn

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's quite weird that the only thing he criticised her for was making a diplomatic and friendly statement about Stendel leaving.

Unless English is playing the journalistic long game here, encouraging Budge into terrible PR mistakes, so that he can eventually tear her down when everything falls apart around her.  It would give him something to write about when the football is cancelled again during the second wave.  But I think this might be a stretch too far. 

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Since the vote, this exactly what I'd be saying if ever Tom leaves Sportsound!

Edited by Tannadeechee

His entire approach on this seemed to suggest he knew why AB was saying what she did at the time. I’m sure before she made any comment on any matter she thought to herself that she’d best tell Tom English what her intended meaning really was.

This isn’t decent journalism - it’s sunk below the usual sub standard BBC nonsense.

If he was able to even take on the notion that there are other opinions than his he'd be tolerable. I'd think he's a bit of a clown but no more than anyone else and indeed, he'd have a bit of stock in the bank ahead of some others but he's been an arrogant w**k spearheading the cause for Hearts and everyone else are scumbags for getting in Hearts' way.

Edited by Ludo*1