The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, Green Day said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-contact-hearts-partick-thistle-22222264

Although this article amuses me from the "Hearts pantomime" perspective, Keith Jackson is an awful writer.

Even some of the items he quotes are poorly constructed.

"The compliance officer has today had verbal communication with both Hearts and Partick Thistle"

How about using one word - spoken?

"expelled from the senior game entirely" - where are they going to go. East & West juniors respectively?

13 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

"expelled from the senior game entirely" - where are they going to go. East & West juniors respectively?

There's not much of the East Juniors left these days- Tayside clubs and some staunch teams in darkest West Lothian.

The Athletic's Alfredo Morelos profile starts off with this....

As a young boy, from around the age of eight or nine, Alfredo Morelos would wander into the forest surrounding his hometown of Cerete in search of iguanas. Scaling his way up trees, his keen eye would be able to not only spot the animals but detect which ones were pregnant.

Despite the lizard’s intimidating appearance and sharp teeth, he wasn’t fazed. He would clamber back down with one in his clutches and take it back to his parents’ home. His mum would then cut the embryo out of the iguana and cook it in a homemade soup.

It wasn’t done out of cruelty, they simply needed to eat and this was a cost-effective meal. Seeking to make amends with a show of compassion, they would then stitch the mother back up for Morelos to place it back in the trees.

If this was anyone else it may sound fictional but, then again, this is Alfredo Morelos.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1651052/2020/06/21/who-really-is-alfredo-morelos/

Not quite as bad as Keith Jackson's article with every Colombian stereotype under the sun but it's just really strange.

That was the guy who claimed he knew that the Celtic fans were thinking racist thoughts when Morelos was sent off for the cut throat gesture.

He's a simpering myopic. Writing blogs that verge on being fan fiction.

19 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

As a young boy, from around the age of eight or nine, Alfredo Morelos would wander into the forest surrounding his hometown of Cerete in search of iguanas. Scaling his way up trees, his keen eye would be able to not only spot the animals but detect which ones were pregnant.

Despite the lizard’s intimidating appearance and sharp teeth, he wasn’t fazed. He would clamber back down with one in his clutches and take it back to his parents’ home. His mum would then cut the embryo out of the iguana and cook it in a homemade soup.

It wasn’t done out of cruelty, they simply needed to eat and this was a cost-effective meal. Seeking to make amends with a show of compassion, they would then stitch the mother back up for Morelos to place it back in the trees.

If this was anyone else it may sound fictional but, then again, this is Alfredo Morelos.

Packet of Knorr soup would have saved a lot of time and  an iguana.

On 20/06/2020 at 08:33, Jacksgranda said:

Thanks. I'll keep that handy for the next time some a***hole talks about the "senior leagues" when he's actually referring to the national leagues.

I complained once before about this - can't remember who it was now, one of the Sportsound guys, I think - didn't get a reply.

Jim Spence didn't like being corrected on that kind of thing during the Pyramid Playoffs last season when Cove Rangers became (according to him) Aberdeen's second senior side, and he went on some Twitter blockathon from which I am still reaping the rewards.

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

West Juniors has ceased to be.

Ooops! :(

Thought there were some left - getting them mixed up with the East. Partick for the amateurs then...

I still haven't heard the context of the 'Hearts should take their medicine' comment from Roy Macregor, but it's fairly upset the bold Tom. I think he's mentioned it on at least 7 separate occasions on Sportsound since he said it.

Was it even that bad?

Jim Spence didn't like being corrected on that kind of thing during the Pyramid Playoffs last season when Cove Rangers became (according to him) Aberdeen's second senior side, and he went on some Twitter blockathon from which I am still reaping the rewards.
It's not really any surprise that Spence and his ilk have no concept that there are heaps of senior fitba clubs outside the 42 SPFL clubs. Still annoying though. Bob Crampsey would be spinning in his grave if he could see what passes for professional Scottish fitba journalism these days.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I still haven't heard the context of the 'Hearts should take their medicine' comment from Roy Macregor, but it's fairly upset the bold Tom. I think he's mentioned it on at least 7 separate occasions on Sportsound since he said it.

Was it even that bad?

This is Tom English, the person who didn't quibble with successful businesswoman Ann Budge's assertion that Heart of Seethelothian were "too big to go down". It's clear that he is batting for one side here, and one side alone. Anything said in their defence is acceptable no matter how condescending, anything said to the opposite is a heinous crime on the "integrity of the sport".

As for the context, the source seems to come from The Times (which is behind a paywall) and is based on discussions he's had with his legal team. I'm guessing most know who MacGregor is in terms of being a successful businessman, and certainly more successful than the previously mentioned Budge, but you'd feel he'd have access to a decent quality QC.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Can’t believe there’s still some teams in the East not moving over to the Seniors. 

They're mostly Staunch Juniors from Staunch towns who tended to look down on the East of Scotland League.

One of the refuseniks did apply for EOSL but were too late getting their application in 

On 20/06/2020 at 07:11, Green Day said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-contact-hearts-partick-thistle-22222264

Although this article amuses me from the "Hearts pantomime" perspective, Keith Jackson is an awful writer.

Even some of the items he quotes are poorly constructed.

"The compliance officer has today had verbal communication with both Hearts and Partick Thistle"

How about using one word - spoken?

Grammar alert - verbal is communicating in words be they spoken or written.  Oral would definitely denote spoken 

22 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I could quite believe this was written by a half-jaked Sevco nutter just after his first viewing of 'Apocalypto'.

17 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Grammar alert - verbal is communicating in words be they spoken or written.  Oral would definitely denote spoken 

Most dictionaries, incl. Collins, would seem to contradict your viewpoint :-

verbal

(vɜːʳbəl )
1. adjective [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
You use verbal to indicate that something is expressed in speech rather than in writing or action.
They were jostled and subjected to a torrent of verbal abuse.
We have a verbal agreement with her.
The West must back up its verbal support with substantial economic aid.
Edited by Florentine_Pogen