The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Great and extremely interesting story on today's BBC Scotland football Gossip page that Les Ferdinand, that well known expert on Scottish football, is backing Jermaine Defoe to score the goals next season to stop Celtic's quest for 10 in a row. Thanks Les.

Great and extremely interesting story on today's BBC Scotland football Gossip page that Les Ferdinand, that well known expert on Scottish football, is backing Jermaine Defoe to score the goals next season to stop Celtic's quest for 10 in a row. Thanks Les.

Was Les asked the question why Defoe didn’t score the goals this season to stop Celtic winning the league?

12 hours ago, kingjoey said:

If the Beechgrove Garden gets tanned in the next few months then we'll have one suspect at least.

On 13/06/2020 at 14:16, kingjoey said:

Don’t be so sensible. Where is the story in that?

In fairness to Ferdinand, the conversation probably went: 

'do you back your old mate Defoe to continue scoring goals in Scotland?'

'Yes'

'Thanks Les, we've got everything we need.'

'Yes'
Yeah in these types of clickbaity bullshit stories, the question asked basically writes the story for them. All they need is some eye rolling acknowledgement from the subject to scurry off and sensationalise it.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:
'Yes'

Yeah in these types of clickbaity bullshit stories, the question asked basically writes the story for them. All they need is some eye rolling acknowledgement from the subject to scurry off and sensationalise it.

Indeed. I haven't read the quotes so could be wrong but I'd be surprised if he said anything other than a generic comment that he'd back Defoe to do well next season.

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. I haven't read the quotes so could be wrong but I'd be surprised if he said anything other than a generic comment that he'd back Defoe to do well next season.

I always imagine the Record journalists to be like wildly enthusiastic, Simpsons style characters, tricking a big shot into a passing mention of the arse cheeks then scurrying off excitedly to feed it to their idiot readership. Childish stuff really. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I always imagine the Record journalists to be like wildly enthusiastic, Simpsons style characters, tricking a big shot into a passing mention of the arse cheeks then scurrying off excitedly to feed it to their idiot readership. Childish stuff really. 

We had a press conference last season to welcome new signing Laurentiu Branescu, who we had on loan from Juventus. The thing lasted about 20 minutes, and about 18 of those were from the types of journalists you describe asking him what it was like to train with Buffon and work under Conte.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

We had a press conference last season to welcome new signing Laurentiu Branescu, who we had on loan from Juventus. The thing lasted about 20 minutes, and about 18 of those were from the types of journalists you describe asking him what it was like to train with Buffon and work under Conte.

Im just surprised it wasnt "What does Buffon think about Shagger McGregor" tbh.  

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Im just surprised it wasnt "What does Buffon think about Shagger McGregor" tbh.  

Usually the question is "are you excited about playing at Celtic Park/Ibrox".

Answered with a "Yes".

Headline then reads, depending on whether it was Celtic Park or Ibrox, "NEW KILLIE SIGNING DECLARES IBROX BEST STADIUM HES EVER PLAYED IN"

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Usually the question is "are you excited about playing at Celtic Park/Ibrox".

Answered with a "Yes".

Headline then reads, depending on whether it was Celtic Park or Ibrox, "NEW KILLIE SIGNING DECLARES IBROX BEST STADIUM HES EVER PLAYED IN"

Best atmosphere I’ve ever played in!!!!1

53 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One of the (many) reasons these cretins should not be referred to as 'journalists'  as they're nothing of the sort.

They're salesmen. Nothing more.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

'I thought he'd retired. Who's he playing for?'

'Rangers'

'Oh, he'll score a hatful. Pub league, innit'

FTFY

11 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

DONS FANS SLAMS SHAMELESS MEDIA

Like that?

Basically, although that's quite an accurate headline.

Maybe more like 'DONS FANS DO NOT BELIEVE IN A FREE PRESS - CITE MISLEADING COMMENTS FROM LES FERDINAND'