The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Yeah, having a shite footballer who supports Rangers is definitely better than a player signed this summer who can possibly actually play football and win you a tie.  Good logic from this no-mark ex-***.

The Northern Irish clearly aren't used to the newspapers talking absolute disparaging shite about your club before playing the OF.

But if Linfield can successfully sue Parks, make a bit of cash from his rag and expose him as the true shite journalist he really is that would be delicious......

But why would Joe Miller nake up such a story? What would Celtic's decision to refuse the ticket allocation gain from this?

One time a tramp told me a story that involved a talking horse. Sadly, it appears that wee Joe may be heading down that road. Or he just put his name to any old pish that the journo made up, probably for some money.

The bizarre thing about the Joe Miller story is that he and Derek Whyte were only on AFC's books together for part of 1997-98 with Miller moving onto the Arabs in the summer of 1998. They hardly played many 1st team matches together let alone a friendly so wondering when this game was supposed to have taken place?

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That's hilarious.  Linfield have never even played Aberdeen before!

Can you imagine Miller's baffled little expression as he tries to navigate the legalese of the solicitor's letter.  Mind you, that's assuming he can successfully negotiate the envelope.

I did read that Joe Miller article - and thinking I was anorakish enough to even remember vague enough details of the whereabouts of most of our pre-season friendly tours from about the past 25 years - I just couldn't recall Linfield.

I think we did play a few matches in Ireland (NI and ROI) in that era - losing to Dundalk who had John Hewitt as their manager at the time was certainly one.  I suspect there was something in what Miller was saying, but (i) it was not Linfield we played  (ii) he completely exaggerated his tale.

It's a grim indictment of the tabloid press these days that they don't allow facts to get in the way of a story - and it's a shame that Scottish clubs are not as good as Linfield clearly are in knocking them quickly into their place.

Edited by tarapoa

:lol:

That's brilliant.  It's not as if he told it in the style of some dramatisation where he changed a few details to sex it up.  The only bits he seemed to get right was that there is a team called Linfield, they do play at Windsor Park and that he did play for Aberdeen at one point.  Rhetorical question, but when he's putting that down, surely the briefest of moments have to cross his mind where he knows that someone somewhere is going to call him on it when it's so easily proved wrong.

Gordon Parks is a fanny. He was basically the guy who was the trainer in the gym at the new Daily Record building and pestered the sports editor for a job and somehow ended up a "sports reporter".

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

The bizarre thing about the Joe Miller story is that he and Derek Whyte were only on AFC's books together for part of 1997-98 with Miller moving onto the Arabs in the summer of 1998. They hardly played many 1st team matches together let alone a friendly so wondering when this game was supposed to have taken place?

The Daily Record claimed it was 1995.

I mind that game. I played upfront for Aberdeen, despite only being 9. My strike partner was Ronaldo (the original one). Paul Nuttal played in goals and Gordon Ramsey was on the wing for Linfield (Old Rangers had loaned him to them for this game).

As I recall we were trailing going in to the 4th quarter, but I scored a 3 pointer to level things up. This took us in to overtime, but disaster struck when we lost a man to the sin bin and Linfield, sensing the win, brought on guys for the power play. However we held on, including a great sack of the quarter back, an so it went to penalties, which we won 77-76 when Penenka scored the winner in sudden, sudden, sudden, sudden, sudden death

I still have the Superbowl ring from that game.

We have played numerous friendly games at Windsor Park over the years against such clubs from Manchester United to Flamengo of Brazil, but have yet to ask opposing players to walk around South Belfast whilst carrying various match accoutrements.

Amazing :lol: