The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

" As for Celtic, they’ve had more fans through the turnstiles than any other club in Europe this season, "

61371300.jpg

Apparently it is indeed a thing, yes.

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Apparently it is indeed a thing, yes.

I like most of your piece, but I would also question the 'most fans through the turnstiles' claim. Manchester United have 75,000, Arsenal 60,000, to name but two. Also, the attendances that Celtic release are tickets sold and not people through the turnstiles. But overall a good riposte.

It's a good article but can't help thinking far too much attention has been paid to this moron at The Times. If he'd written a similar piece to the one on the Terrace about why Scottish football matters he wouldn't have garnered anywhere near as much attention.

I'm beginning to think newspapers business model pioneered in The Producers and have realised that awful articles get more hits, and therefore make more money, than good stories.

I like most of your piece, but I would also question the 'most fans through the turnstiles' claim. Manchester United have 75,000, Arsenal 60,000, to name but two. Also, the attendances that Celtic release are tickets sold and not people through the turnstiles. But overall a good riposte.

Man U are miles ahead of Celtic in terms of people through the gate.

I'm fairly sure Arsenal and West Ham are also currently averaging higher.

On ‎05‎-‎03‎-‎2017 at 06:54, Elbhoy said:

They could just show these English twats this.

IMG_20170305_064958.jpg

alas that would be too convenient for them to look at stats like this.........this is the thing about the English Media, they can never see past their own noses so it is always easy and convenient to slate Scottish Football due to the fact their overpriced, overhyped and media saturated big league is a one horse race despite what they say this season......

also as much as it annoys me to hear clowns like Durham, Gough (what does he know about football?), Lewis and Cundy etc slate Scotland I think we have to accept that their job at Talksport is to get bites and wind people up, anyone who listens to the likes of Durham every day will know that he changes his stance and viewpoint on stuff to suit whats in the news, its all just one big ploy to create hype and hysteria. As soon as Scottish People and fans in general stop biting and rising to their patter they will soon be out of a job!!

Celtic are averaging 55,000. That's similar to Benfica and West Ham - but exceeded by Barcelona, Real Madrid, Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Schalke, Manchester Utd and Arsenal.

Perhaps it's a totalling-up? We play 38 league games whereas Portugal and Germany only play 34 and Celtic played a number of CL qualifiers which others wouldn't have. On the other hand Celtic haven't made it into CL / EL knockouts; their 4 domestic cup-ties haven't surpassed 30,000; and places like Spain have a 2-legged FA Cup, and Portugal and England also have League Cups, which would boost their numbers.

Edited by HibeeJibee

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Celtic are averaging 55,000. That's similar to Benfica and West Ham - but exceeded by Barcelona, Real Madrid, Dortmund, Bayern Munich, Schalke, Manchester Utd and Arsenal.

Perhaps it's a totalling-up? We play 38 league games whereas Portugal and Germany only play 34 and Celtic played a number of CL qualifiers which others wouldn't have. On the other hand Celtic haven't made it into CL / EL knockouts; their 4 domestic cup-ties haven't surpassed 30,000; and places like Spain have a 2-legged FA Cup, and Portugal and England also have League Cups, which would boost their numbers.

I remember hearing this stat earlier in the year, I think at one point Celtic had the most fans through the gate in totat due to european qualifiers and starting the season a couple of weeks earlier than other leagues. I doubt it's still true now though.

Absolutely no chance Celtic have had more fans through the turnstiles than Barcelona, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, Man Utd or Arsenal at this stage of the season. I could see it applying in October or something, but surely not now.

These teams average higher attendances in their leagues, higher in their domestic cups and higher in Europe. Celtic would have to have played quite a few more games, especially more Dortmund, Barca and Man Utd, who all average 75,000+.

Where did the expression 'through the turnstyle' come from? Is it another smokescreen to hide the minor detail that Celtic's attendance figures don't actually give the number of people that went through the turnstyle to attend a match?

3 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Where did the expression 'through the turnstyle' come from? Is it another smokescreen to hide the minor detail that Celtic's attendance figures don't actually give the number of people that went through the turnstyle to attend a match?

*turnstile

Super Ally demands investment - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ally-mccoist-says-rangers-no-9992700

“Honest to God, I don’t think it’s rocket science. Until there is investment, I think we will be having this conversation next year and the year after. It’s a fact the club needs financial investment"

“I just detect the patience of the Rangers fans – and the majority are fantastic – is wearing thin. There wouldn’t be a club if it wasn’t for the way the supporters rallied in the first couple of years after administration and then liquidation."

"There were special circumstances for the club going into administration and liquidation. There was the crash. I know for a fact the debt at Rangers Football Club at that particular time was 100 per cent manageable. There were alternate motives or reasons for the club going into administration and liquidation. As you know the vast majority of clubs run at a debt. Rangers’ was manageable then.

Amazing the amount of folk jumping on Durham and Cundys stuff and saying it's spot on etc on social media. Mainly English but unsurprisingly enough the only Scottish people agreeing are once again, yup, you guessed it, Sevco fans.

I cannot fathom why these people hate everything Scottish so much and want to put it down. It's like they want acceptance from their British pals south of the border. Fucking cretins, nothing like a bit of jock bashing eh.

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

Super Ally demands investment - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ally-mccoist-says-rangers-no-9992700

“Honest to God, I don’t think it’s rocket science. Until there is investment, I think we will be having this conversation next year and the year after. It’s a fact the club needs financial investment"

“I just detect the patience of the Rangers fans – and the majority are fantastic – is wearing thin. There wouldn’t be a club if it wasn’t for the way the supporters rallied in the first couple of years after administration and then liquidation."

Erm, there isn't a club: that died in the liquidation process. The word 'liquidation' being instructive in this case. It died because the fans sat on their lardy arses and failed to raise the funds to save their club. 

Next. 

"There were special circumstances for the club going into administration and liquidation. There was the crash. I know for a fact the debt at Rangers Football Club at that particular time was 100 per cent manageable. There were alternate motives or reasons for the club going into administration and liquidation. As you know the vast majority of clubs run at a debt. Rangers’ was manageable then.

There speaks Ally McCoist, qualified financial expert. 

333.gif

That is laughable.

"All I would get involved in is that it needs investment. It’s not my area of expertise. I don’t know what is, but it’s not that."

...in the same breath...

"I know for a fact the debt at Rangers Football Club at that particular time was 100 per cent manageable."

What a fukn balloon [emoji23]

3 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

"All I would get involved in is that it needs investment. It’s not my area of expertise. I don’t know what is, but it’s not that."

It's certainly not football management either. Absolute imbecile. I'm need my garden levelled off, topsoiled, and turfed, maybe he can advise on that as opposed to this absolute nonsense from him.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

I know for a fact the debt at Rangers Football Club at that particular time was 100 per cent manageable. There were alternate motives or reasons for the club going into administration and liquidation. As you know the vast majority of clubs run at a debt.

Hang on...

ETA: What were the alternate motives or reasons? We demand to know.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

The ramblings of a fat bigot. I'm not sure even he knows what he means