The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

That... thing... is the absolute definition of word salad.

I don’t see the reason – and I know there are reasons but I don’t see them as being strong enough – to deny the big clubs being able to buy over some of the provincial, community clubs.

“If Rangers for instance were to buy over Airdrie and the brand new stadium which is sitting there and play in the Championship league, and likewise Celtic with Clyde at Broadwood or Livingston, they can get their young players and play them in a competitive environment.

“It means they and their staff are kind of in charge of it and can try to give them first team experience so that when they bring boys back - like Liam Henderson for example who went to Hibs before returning to Celtic - they are almost ready for their first team.

“The Spanish clubs do that all the time but whenever you mention it in Scotland you get told that you can’t do it, the constitution doesn’t allow one club to own another club.

“But think of the benefits of getting young players playing. Celtic played at Pittodrie recently and had maximum 8000 fans up there. But you have 60,000 at Parkhead every second week so that’s 52,000 empty seats.

I mean, where do you begin when trying to comprehend that?

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If Celtic bought Clyde they would get 50+ thousand gates to watch the youths when they play L1 clubs...

Hahahahahaha

Worth remembering they played Annan at home in the Challenge Cup, with no first team match on the same day, and only attracted a crowd of 216. 

"Celtic played at Pittodrie recently and had maximum 8000 fans up there. But you have 60,000 at Parkhead every second week so that’s 52,000 empty seats. "

That's my favourite line. An absolute clusterfuck of nonsense.

[emoji1]

I missed this on first reading.

Just a blatant lie followed by absolutely zero logic.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

But think of the benefits of getting young players playing. Celtic played at Pittodrie recently and had maximum 8000 fans up there. But you have 60,000 at Parkhead every second week so that’s 52,000 empty seats.

:lol:

What even is this pish?

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That... thing... is the absolute definition of word salad.

I mean, where do you begin when trying to comprehend that?

I'd begin with the big jag and worry about comprehension later, he apparently doesn't realise that colt teams and feeder teams are one and the same, daft auld b*****d.

I suppose this is the right place for this rant. I'm sick and fed up of the notion that our players aren't good enough and Gordon Strachan is doing the best he can. Bollocks. I don't know what the journos and ex pros are trying to do, throw a generation of footballers under the bus to save the career of one old geezer who may or may not still want to manage Scotland.
We don't have brilliant defenders. But how much of a defence is personnel and how much is how they are set up? Plenty of times you see players playing above themselves when setup correctly.
If we look at Northern Ireland. A mix of English Prem, Champ and League 1, along with some Scottish Prem players. Pretty much the same as us. How many Scottish players would get in that squad, considering Niall McGinn gets in but Graeme Shinnie doesn't get into the Scotland squad. If you were to pick a joint team it would be mostly Scots, with perhaps an Irish centre half pair and a RB.
f**k the media f**k the ex pros f**k the nepotism and fear of change and borderline xenophobia and the old boys club attitude which has been holding back our game.
Scottish football is an object of vanity and nostalgia for those who are no longer in it and the shitter we are the better their era looks.
Between 99 and 09 Scottish football was much worse than it is now. But we can't say that because these players are now in the media telling us how shit it is right now.
This makes no sense so take from it what you will I just had to get that out somewhere haha

Wait, is Alex Smith genuinely trying to claim there were 8,000 Celtic fans at Pittodrie or that there were only 8,000 fans in total at that game? What an absolute boiler.

It's really quite remarkable how many old pros and blazers don't actually appear to like football at all.

I suppose there are plenty of us that don't particularly enjoy the thing that pays our wages but, then again, we wouldn't really expect our employers to give a shit about our lunatic ideas.