The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

What a rip roaring c**t he has made of himself there.

Not surprising in the slightest though. Why that dinosaur was even asked to give his opinion on it is truely baffling.

"Wit aboot the opinion of aww they gid catholics?"

2 minutes ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Frankie boy used to be good for an after dinner speech on the charidee circuit but in today’s snowflake generation he’s very much derided and can’t move on . The red tops also by definition haven’t moved on .

Whit?

1 minute ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Whit?

Frankie is stuck in the 80’s and still thinks it’s  OK to make sexist/  racist /sectarian jokes 

I’ve heard him on several occasions and his “patter or chat “ is always the same , the fact the red tops went to him for comment shows that they too haven’t moved on much 

9 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Frankie boy used to be good for an after dinner speech on the charidee circuit but in today’s snowflake generation he’s very much derided and can’t move on . The red tops also by definition haven’t moved on .

There's no such thing as being good for an after dinner speech at the best of times.

An after dinner speech from Frank McAvennie sounds like absolute hell, which is kind of ironic, I suppose.

10 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Frankie is stuck in the 80’s and still thinks it’s  OK to make sexist/  racist /sectarian jokes 

I’ve heard him on several occasions and his “patter or chat “ is always the same , the fact the red tops went to him for comment shows that they too haven’t moved on much 

Image result for walk away gif

It's at times like this that I wonder why papers still persist with filling their sports pages with columns and articles based on utterly dull and/or fairly moronic opinions from OF has-beens (I feel sorry for the hacks that ghost write it TBH).  The main problem is that the vast majority of ex-players are *really* dull and the higher up the food chain they made it, the more likely that any interesting opinion they once held has been media-trained out of them. I know the standard line when something like McAvennie's progressive views on the gays come to light that it's great for the clicks - but I think this sort of thing turns off as many people as it attracts and enforces the dinosaur reputation that papers have. 

It kind of feels like there is a circle-jerk of ex-player columnists, radio talk shows and phone-ins ("the subject of tonight's phone-in is Kris Boyd's Sportsound comments on John Hartson's column about how great Scott Brown is")  that exist in order to provide a remarkably narrow set of predictable opinions to a remarkably narrow demographic of people (easily outraged men over 55) - and the formula really needs to be updated if they want the rest of us to be remotely interested.

I enjoy and seek out interesting stuff about scottish football, plenty of which actually exists in the papers if you scroll far enough past "Robert Prytz on what Brexit means for The Gers" or how "Ex-Celtic and Leicester City Ace Carl Muggleton hopes Brendan doesn't raid the Bhoys best players this summer".  

1 hour ago, Swello said:

It's at times like this that I wonder why papers still persist with filling their sports pages with columns and articles based on utterly dull and/or fairly moronic opinions from OF has-beens (I feel sorry for the hacks that ghost write it TBH).  The main problem is that the vast majority of ex-players are *really* dull and the higher up the food chain they made it, the more likely that any interesting opinion they once held has been media-trained out of them. I know the standard line when something like McAvennie's progressive views on the gays come to light that it's great for the clicks - but I think this sort of thing turns off as many people as it attracts and enforces the dinosaur reputation that papers have. 

It kind of feels like there is a circle-jerk of ex-player columnists, radio talk shows and phone-ins ("the subject of tonight's phone-in is Kris Boyd's Sportsound comments on John Hartson's column about how great Scott Brown is")  that exist in order to provide a remarkably narrow set of predictable opinions to a remarkably narrow demographic of people (easily outraged men over 55) - and the formula really needs to be updated if they want the rest of us to be remotely interested.

I enjoy and seek out interesting stuff about scottish football, plenty of which actually exists in the papers if you scroll far enough past "Robert Prytz on what Brexit means for The Gers" or how "Ex-Celtic and Leicester City Ace Carl Muggleton hopes Brendan doesn't raid the Bhoys best players this summer".  

What did Muggers say?

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What did Muggers say?

Well if it followed form, the entirety of the quote would be contained in the headline, the first paragraph, shown as a tweet and captioned under a photo of Muggers promoting an Old Firm Legends game, planned for a field out the back of a miners welfare at 11am on Sunday.

Nothing will ever top Liam McLeod repeating the phrase "there's still time for Celtic to turn this around" once every 14 seconds for the last 42 minutes of Ross County's highly entertaining 2016 League Cup semi win over the team who "should" have won according to the blinkered lackwits of the arse-licking Weedgie mafia which constitutes the Scottish sporting media. But Pat Bonner's comments the other day suggesting that Arsenal might not be a big enough club for Kieran Tierney to move to come very close. The worst thing about this being that it was the BBC who published this utter horseshit. There was a time when I would have expected better from them, but it's passed now.

19 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Frankie boy used to be good for an after dinner speech on the charidee circuit but in today’s snowflake generation he’s very much derided and can’t move on . 

Absolutely staggering.

McAvennie has always been a thick moron with absolutely nothing to say that's interesting or amusing.  Only a cretin could be entertained by a speech he'd deliver.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Absolutely staggering.

McAvennie has always been a thick moron with absolutely nothing to say that's interesting or amusing.  Only a cretin could be entertained by a speech he'd deliver.

He caters to one side. Bomber Brown does the other and they meet in the middle once a year for the Radio Clyde Charity event to prove it's all good fun.

He caters to one side. Bomber Brown does the other and they meet in the middle once a year for the Radio Clyde Charity event to prove it's all good fun.

That really does sound like a wonderful night out. Presumably Andy Cameron is the compère, and the night will be rounded off with a set from one (but not both) of the Proclaimers.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Absolutely staggering.

I’m willing to bet you never heard McAvennie 20 odd years ago . Times change and back then he was considered a good booking for many a gentleman’s dinner  as his booking fee of some £3000 iirc shows . You can’t command those sort of fees if nobody wants to hear you speak . It’s all about opinions I suppose and after a good dinner and plenty of booze , yes I found his inane chat and stories amusing and no homophobia as far as I recall , whether I would want to spend time with him outside of that environment and after his most recent comments ?  I’m certain that would be a no from me now.

I wouldn’t  go around calling people cretins for attending charity evenings , yes I was aware who was “ on the bill” and yes I could have bought a ticket and not gone , but I chose to attend as there were other people in my company to consider and at that time McAvennie as I said was a crowd pleaser . It’s very easy to retrospectively examine the company ,however fleeting ,you sometimes kept but to make rash  judgements on my beliefs based on that is very poor IMO