The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

The Daily Record's desperate attempts to link any transfer story in their transfer blog to Scottish football can be pretty cringey sometimes.  Chelsea's Ola Aina joined Torino today and the Record refers to him as "One time Celtic target Ola Aina" 

On 11/06/2019 at 18:00, senorsoupe said:

The Daily Record's desperate attempts to link any transfer story in their transfer blog to Scottish football the Old Firm is can be pretty cringey sometimes pathetic. Chelsea's Ola Aina joined Torino today and the Record refers to him as "One time Celtic target Ola Aina" 

The Daily Record's desperate attempts to link any transfer story in their transfer blog to Scottish football can be pretty cringey sometimes.  Chelsea's Ola Aina joined Torino today and the Record refers to him as "One time Celtic target Ola Aina" 

I fully expect a three page interview with Marco Negri about Kilmarnock’s new manager.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I fully expect a three page interview with Marco Negri about Kilmarnock’s new manager.

I think it was the Record who, before Alessio's announcement was made official, had written about him and got the opinion of Massimo Donati - a man with no link to wither the candidate or the club in question - to give his tuppence worth. I can just imagine them thinking who is Italian and has played for the club before, coming up with Manuel Pascali and then immediately binning that idea because he had no connection to the OF.

In any case I'm just glad that our board managed to keep the media (and everyone else) guessing. Made the papers look like mugs.

Just now, Andy_K_97 said:

I think it was the Record who, before Alessio's announcement was made official, had written about him and got the opinion of Massimo Donati - a man with no link to wither the candidate or the club in question - to give his tuppence worth. I can just imagine them thinking who is Italian and has played for the club before, coming up with Manuel Pascali and then immediately binning that idea because he had no connection to the OF.

In any case I'm just glad that our board managed to keep the media (and everyone else) guessing. Made the papers look like mugs.

Kind of reminds me of the time they got Sebastian Rozenthal to talk about the death of General Pinochet.  

7 minutes ago, The Master said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48674593

Why the need to mention he's a former "Rangers" striker?

Scotland, yes, because it acknowledges he was an international. But why pick out a former club in the headline as well?

Overly sensitive.

It was his most high profile and most successful period in his career both personally and in terms of trophies. It's pretty relevant.

Scotland, yes, because it acknowledges he was an international. But why pick out a former club in the headline as well?
It literally mentions the two clubs in Scotland that he ever played for. If it hadn't mentioned Killie then fair enough, but it does, front and centre.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
29 minutes ago, The Master said:

It literally mentions the two clubs in Scotland that he ever played for. If it hadn't mentioned Killie then fair enough, but it does, front and centre.

Aye. A few times I've seen them refer to ex Rangers striker whilst he was at Killie but I don't see too much wrong with that article.

This is one of my major pet hates but have to agree with the others that it's appropriate this time. It's not the use of the ex-Ranger/ex-Celt that's the problem, it's the misuse.

On 16/06/2019 at 19:04, Andy_K_97 said:

Worth mentioning that Massimo Donati was appointed as a coach at Kilmarnock just days after the manager was appointed...

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Jeez.

Even by Bonner's desperately low standards, that's ludicrous.

He truly is a man who's never had a thought in his life.  That he keeps getting asked for his opinion, is even more laughable than said opinion.