The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

25 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Ah. Not the bit that was really important. The bit where he lost a chunk of his life and didn't blame anyone else for it.

Got you now.

You've had a quite spectacular failure on this thread, but rather than acknowledge it you decide to just deflect and sweep.

Thanks for playing, though, chump.

On 05/03/2019 at 09:59, The Master said:

Even by BBC standards this is a horrific article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47360698

He put a season-ending and career-threatening challenge in on Matt Henvey yet he's given the time and space here to paint himself as the victim.

Should thugs like him really be glorified in this way?

Let’s think how long he would last in WOS Junior game? Ot what would have happened if he had put one on an 18yo in the Juniors? Night night San.

Been s&it scared of a few players in my time but never an ex pro, wind and p@ss.

Edited by COG

11 minutes ago, COG said:

Let’s think how long he would last in WOS Junior game? Ot what would have happened if he had put one on an 18yo in the Juniors? Night night San.

Been s&it scared of a few players in my time but never an ex pro, wind and p@ss.

Given that he played Junior football very successfully for several years, I'd imagine he'd be fine.

You've had a quite spectacular failure on this thread, but rather than acknowledge it you decide to just deflect and sweep.
Thanks for playing, though, chump.

Hardly. You brought it up as bad journalism and it was pointed out by others that it wasn't.
And "chump"? That is truly bad.

28 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Hardly. You brought it up as bad journalism and it was pointed out by others that it wasn't.

The Master can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure his point was that the inclusion of a story where he defiantly restrained himself from battering Dundee fans was conflicting with the theme of him being a changed man, because he was the agressor in that particular situation.

2 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I specifically highlighted the part I thought was terrible journalism, before then going to to make another post where I said it could be taken out and the article would still tell the story it wanted to.

Not as bad as the nightmare you've had in this thread, chump.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

The Master can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure his point was that the inclusion of a story where he defiantly restrained himself from battering Dundee fans was conflicting with the theme of him being a changed man, because he was the agressor in that particular situation.

There is that too.

My original point was focused on him being given the time and space by the BBC to paint himself as a victim in that situation* despite that situation being brought about by his own challenge that ended the season of a young player. 

*It seems these things need to be explicitly spelled-out for our slow-of-thinking friends from up the A90.

I also thought it was a bit stupid of him to whine about fans shouting about his career ending because that's how he supports his family right after he's put a, potentially, career ending tackle into a fellow professional.  Not for the first time either.

Players like him who revel in their "hardman" status on the pitch then moan in the media about how the big bad fans shout abuse at them are pathetic.

Other than that it was a decent piece.

I also thought it was a bit stupid of him to whine about fans shouting about his career ending because that's how he supports his family right after he's put a, potentially, career ending tackle into a fellow professional.  Not for the first time either.
Players like him who revel in their "hardman" status on the pitch then moan in the media about how the big bad fans shout abuse at them are pathetic.
Other than that it was a decent piece.

I think his lack of remorse at the "tackle" is pretty grim (of course that might have been edited out) but the whole piece taken together shows how he turned a potentially ruined life into something more positive.
Not bad journalism at all.

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:

I think his lack of remorse at the "tackle" is pretty grim (of course that might have been edited out) but the whole piece taken together shows how he turned a potentially ruined life into something more positive.
Not bad journalism at all.

His lack of remorse and his apparent complete lack of context or understanding of why the fans are giving him such grief is what painted him as a bit daft to me.  You're right, a lot of what he said could have been cut out for all we know.  Which, from a journalists point of view, is probably considered good journalism but from a readers point of view it's bad journalism as it's not giving us the full picture.

His story of getting his life together after getting into bother and the fact he's warning others against going down that path was a good read though.

1 hour ago, pj_puttz said:

His lack of remorse and his apparent complete lack of context or understanding of why the fans are giving him such grief is what painted him as a bit daft to me.  You're right, a lot of what he said could have been cut out for all we know.  Which, from a journalists point of view, is probably considered good journalism but from a readers point of view it's bad journalism as it's not giving us the full picture.

His story of getting his life together after getting into bother and the fact he's warning others against going down that path was a good read though.

It's not.

7 hours ago, RawB93 said:

That's pretty much how I read it. 

It's so called hard men like him that make so many matches the shitfest they are, fans have every right to give him stick at games considering the way the acts on the pitch.

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:54, Darren said:

It's not.

I would argue that some journalists deliberately omit certain details all the time in order to spin a story the way they want it to go.  This is what I meant when I suggested it could be considered "good" journalism, even though it's not the textbook definition of it.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story and all that.

30 minutes ago, BoydiesBelly said:

Alex Rae's continual inability to speak properly.

Mentioned in the space of three days that both Hibs and Birmingham released statements "condoning fans behaviour". Told twice that he meant 'condemning' - did it again later.

Fud. 

That particular error's becoming more common , and from folk you'd expect better from than Alex Rae.

Sure I heard Tom English saying that recently

8 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Hmmm... interesting headline choice (as a link) and opening line re: the tribute act.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-cup

"Aberdeen stun Rangers to make semi finals"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47450648

Have Rangers not only won one in seven against Aberdeen now?

Reminds me of our Scottish Cup win against United, where every pundit and journalist said it would be a surprise if we won, despite us beating United three times that season without conceding a goal.