The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Even by BBC standards this is a horrific article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47360698

He put a season-ending and career-threatening challenge in on Matt Henvey yet he's given the time and space here to paint himself as the victim.

Should thugs like him really be glorified in this way?

I always like reading articles about the real men and their lives leading up to football. I think it's a valuable article in that it teaches us compassion that we forget when we're in a larger body of football supporters, seeing the player only as a one-dimensional baddie. 

It doesn't say that the challenge itself was deliberate, and the article does say that it was a season-ending one. 

The article talks about his temperament and his "competitiveness" while giving context to it all. That's not terrible journalism, it's actually good journalism. 

I have a feeling your inclusion of this article in this thread has more to do with your hatred of MacKinnon than with any lowering of journalistic standards.

Why is it horrific?   He is not defending the tackle, he is criticising the way Dundee fans reacted to him being seriously injured and how he felt about that.  Its not really all that difficult to understand.

In the article it is explained that he is using his past to dissuade younger players from going down the same route which is not a bad use of his time, and your reaction says more about your inability to separate a game from real life. If anything is horrific, it is that. 

What’s wrong with the article isn’t necessarily the “from prison to being a footballer” aspect (although whether he should be seen as a role model is still debatable). 

It’s that he’s been given a platform to paint himself as a victim in a situation, despite that situation being borne out of him putting in a season-ending and (what was at the time) career-threatening challenge on a promising young player.

Take that out and the article still tells the story it wants to. 

On 05/03/2019 at 17:59, The Master said:

He put a season-ending and career-threatening challenge in on Matt Henvey yet he's given the time and space here to paint himself as the victim.

I love the way MacKinnon says he would've gone into the Dundee end,(sure you would have Darian :1eye), because Dundee fans were taunting him about his career ending which would have affected his family. Amazing how his own concern for his family is thrown out the window if he's considering jumping in amongst a group of men to get torn to shreds. 

Darian logic - Shouting bad, violence good. 

He's thick as mince. 

On 3/5/2019 at 09:59, The Master said:

Hardly painting himself as the victim.  He basically said he deserved jail time and blamed no one else.

43 minutes ago, The Master said:

I think you need to re-read my post.

The bit where you said he was given space in the article to paint himself as the victim and I pointed out he accepted the punishment for his actions and blamed no one else or some other part?

15 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

The bit where you said he was given space in the article to paint himself as the victim and I pointed out he accepted the punishment for his actions and blamed no one else or some other part?

The bit before that.

My post had f**k all to do with his prison sentence.

The bit before that.
My post had f**k all to do with his prison sentence.
So the bit in the linked article that clearly shows he doesn't play the victim isn't as important as your biased interpretation of his view on opposition fans wanting him and his family in financial dire straits.
Good stuff.

7 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

So the bit in the linked article that clearly shows he doesn't play the victim isn't as important as your biased interpretation of his view on opposition fans wanting him and his family in financial dire straits.
Good stuff.

You mean apart from the bit where he does play the victim, whining about some things said to him after he ended the season of another player?

You mean apart from the bit where he does play the victim, whining about some things said to him after he ended the season of another player?

Ah. Not the bit that was really important. The bit where he lost a chunk of his life and didn't blame anyone else for it.

Got you now.