The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have Rangers not only won one in seven against Aberdeen now?

Reminds me of our Scottish Cup win against United, where every pundit and journalist said it would be a surprise if we won, despite us beating United three times that season without conceding a goal.

Not sure exact run of form but have won at Ibrox this season already as well as the pseudo away game at Hampden. 2 draws as well. The language used by the Beeb is more akin to a giant-killing.

46 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Not sure exact run of form but have won at Ibrox this season already as well as the pseudo away game at Hampden. 2 draws as well. The language used by the Beeb is more akin to a giant-killing.

"Aberdeen stun ranger's". Beeb is desperate to get back in their pants.

Which is worrying itself because they are only a few years old. Suppose it is BBC policy though to go for kids.

Surely everyone knows the correct way to predict a scoreline is to compare how each club rates on the bigness scale, and predict a win for the bigger club. Form, injuries, weather conditions etc are largely irrelevant.

Have Rangers not only won one in seven against Aberdeen now?
Reminds me of our Scottish Cup win against United, where every pundit and journalist said it would be a surprise if we won, despite us beating United three times that season without conceding a goal.

3 wins, 2 draws and a defeat this season. Haven’t conceded a goal in Glasgow against them.

In fairness to the bbc it probably is a shock to many, I spoke to a Celtic fan yesterday who thought we’d get done by 2 or 3. I just said not to write us off.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

3 wins, 2 draws and a defeat this season. Haven’t conceded a goal in Glasgow against them.

In fairness to the bbc it probably is a shock to many, I spoke to a Celtic fan yesterday who thought we’d get done by 2 or 3. I just said not to write us off.

Spoke to a few sevvies yesterday they where worried about the buffalo being out for Celtic game in the semi if he got booked absolutely deluded.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Look at the posts on here after the first game. Aberdeen supporters had to explain to a lot of people that going to Ibrox wasn't a disadvantage. BBC aren't alone in this. I'd say it was a majority opinion outside of Aberdeen supporters.

8 hours ago, Crawford said:

"Aberdeen stun ranger's". Beeb is desperate to get back in their pants.

Which is worrying itself because they are only a few years old. Suppose it is BBC policy though to go for kids.

It would certainly be terrible journalism if the BBC called them ranger's.

I see this non-story is still hanging around on the BBC Scottish football page, and even has its own sidebar/link:

Brechin City cancel Murder Mystery Evening due to 'lack of interest'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47576088

In summary, a lower league club planned a small-scale event and not enough people were interested, so it was cancelled.  It appears to be attempting a humorous angle, which completely falls flat and ends up apparently pointing and laughing at what was planned.  Absolute rubbish from our state broadcaster.

Edited by VictorOnopko

40 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I see this non-story is still hanging around on the BBC Scottish football page, and even has its own sidebar/link:

Brechin City cancel Murder Mystery Evening due to 'lack of interest'

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47576088

In summary, a lower league club planned a small-scale event and not enough people were interested, so it was cancelled.  It appears to be attempting a humorous angle, which completely falls flat and ends up apparently pointing and laughing at what was planned.  Absolute rubbish from our state broadcaster.

It's pathetic but they'll try and justify it by claiming the BBC's role isn't just international and national coverage but also local news for local people, in the same way they're an extension of Rangers Media. That this is on the front page backs up the taking the piss angle though. 

Surely everyone knows the smaller clubs are just there to be laughed at. They're not actually worth supporting or anything.

That's the message one would get from reading the sports media anyway.

Edited by nsr

It was the final game of the 2000-01 season when Dundee, halfway through the colourful and chaotic two-year reign of Ivano Bonetti, ended the champions' unbeaten domestic record that term with a 2-0 win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47596546

Having checked the results for that season Celtic had already lost a league game that season, 5-1 to Rangers back in November 2000 and it wasn't the final game of the season as Dundee would play Hearts and Celtic would go to Kilmarnock the following week.

On 15/03/2019 at 12:32, 7-2 said:

It's pathetic but they'll try and justify it by claiming the BBC's role isn't just international and national coverage but also local news for local people, in the same way they're an extension of Rangers Media. That this is on the front page backs up the taking the piss angle though. 

Speaking of which: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47639846