The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

26 minutes ago, Spectre said:

I think it is just you, click on "more" beside the Scottish premiership  on the table or fixtures, and you should be able to select championship or league 1 or 2 from there

That's precisely what I always do and what I've been doing all afternoon.

It's not working for me today though.  When I then click on my division of choice, it doesn't appear.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's precisely what I always do and what I've been doing all afternoon.

It's not working for me today though.  When I then click on my division of choice, it doesn't appear.

Working perfectly for me, must be something at your end rather than the website.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Working perfectly for me, must be something at your end rather than the website.

Yes, it's actually working fine on my phone I see.

It just seems to be on the kindle that there's a problem.  Not really terrible journalism I suppose, but it's always good to have a moan.

Did Hibs’ late goal today earn them a point?

No, it denied “Rangers” a win.

Just another example of the “Old Firm”-centric angle that must always be taken: the opposition don’t win, Celtic/“Rangers” lose etc.

DA0DFEF3-3B89-4D9A-A7B3-98D15B10B57E.thumb.png.be7c9120305d00d2906743261ac3c621.png

From the article;

Bigotry

As experienced by Neil Lennon at Tynecastle in October, and many other places. In the aftermath of that tempestuous Edinburgh derby, the Hibernian manager said: "You call it sectarianism here in Scotland, I call it racism. If a black man is abused, you're not just abusing the colour of his skin - you're abusing his culture, heritage, background. It's the exact same when I get called a ******, a pauper, a beggar, a tarrier. Every week, we hear the songs at the stadiums. That's got to be stamped out."

What a cowardly piece of garbage for ignoring the obvious. It's also part of the problem for ignoring the obvious.

Edited by DA Baracus

On 01/01/2019 at 00:55, DA Baracus said:

From the article;

Bigotry

As experienced by Neil Lennon at Tynecastle in October, and many other places. In the aftermath of that tempestuous Edinburgh derby, the Hibernian manager said: "You call it sectarianism here in Scotland, I call it racism. If a black man is abused, you're not just abusing the colour of his skin - you're abusing his culture, heritage, background. It's the exact same when I get called a ******, a pauper, a beggar, a tarrier. Every week, we hear the songs at the stadiums. That's got to be stamped out."

What a cowardly piece of garbage for ignoring the obvious. It's also part of the problem for ignoring the obvious.

Did someone actually call Neil Lennon a pauper or is that just the BBC computer's autocorrect picking up on "papist" or similar? I wasn't aware the word pauper had sectarian connotations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46761579

Signing Jermain Defoe and Steven Davis would help Rangers "push Celtic all the way", says his former manager Harry Redknapp.

Defoe, 36, is set to join Steven Gerrard's side on loan from Bournemouth, while Southampton's Davis, 34, is expected to return to Ibrox.

Many players have come up from England with big reputations but struggled in Scotland, with Joey Barton, Carlton Cole and Niko Kranjcar all failing to make an impact in recent seasons.

However, Redknapp believes Defoe would thrive in Glasgow.

Redknapp said: "I go to watch Bournemouth most weeks. It's been difficult for him, with [Callum] Wilson and [Joshua] King who play up front; they've both been outstanding so he hasn't got the games. He wants to play, he's one of them boys.

"Rangers and Celtic, they're a big pull in world football, they're two massive clubs as everybody knows who understands the game. So it's a big move for him and a big move for Rangers.

"It's good to see Scottish football again having two great teams at the top. They've really got a competition on their hands again which is good."

:green

28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46761579

Signing Jermain Defoe and Steven Davis would help Rangers "push Celtic all the way", says his former manager Harry Redknapp.

Defoe, 36, is set to join Steven Gerrard's side on loan from Bournemouth, while Southampton's Davis, 34, is expected to return to Ibrox.

Many players have come up from England with big reputations but struggled in Scotland, with Joey Barton, Carlton Cole and Niko Kranjcar all failing to make an impact in recent seasons.

However, Redknapp believes Defoe would thrive in Glasgow.

Redknapp said: "I go to watch Bournemouth most weeks. It's been difficult for him, with [Callum] Wilson and [Joshua] King who play up front; they've both been outstanding so he hasn't got the games. He wants to play, he's one of them boys.

"Rangers and Celtic, they're a big pull in world football, they're two massive clubs as everybody knows who understands the game. So it's a big move for him and a big move for Rangers.

"It's good to see Scottish football again having two great teams at the top. They've really got a competition on their hands again which is good."

:green

Thanks Arry.  Brown envelope is under second flower pot to left of your front door.

7 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17333307.former-rangers-striker-andy-little-on-his-retirement-injuries-and-why-the-sacrifice-wasnt-worth-it-in-football-any-more/

Surely this is "sponsored content".  The end of the article turns into an ad telling you how to sign up for "Rangers Pools"

Clicked the link, saw the author of the piece, closed the tab.

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-stitch-up-stop-celtic-13809536

Chris Sutton goes full pelt celtic blogger/yer da. Probably stoked further flames for the threats against Beaton.

Yip.

Always nice to see phrases like "Make no mistake" and "laughing stock" getting an airing.

11 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-stitch-up-stop-celtic-13809536

Chris Sutton goes full pelt celtic blogger/yer da. Probably stoked further flames for the threats against Beaton.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip.

Always nice to see phrases like "Make no mistake" and "laughing stock" getting an airing.

Agreed ....but you can’t argue with the sentiments of the article 

11 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

I can't describe how much I hate this. And by and large I actually like Sutton, his passion for the game is refreshing - and he absolutely despises TalkSport, but he's got this very badly wrong.

John Beaton is not a referee I rate. He's made some howling decisions against us over the years - and not awarding us a penalty and sending off a Dundee defender in some diddy cup game yonks ago still irks me. The Sunday Mail's Headline the next day was 'SONS WELL BEATON - BY THE REF'. I thought he handled the Old Firm game itself really well though, although Morelos getting off without retrospective ban is incredible - and it sets a new standard that other players should be able to exploit.

But Sutton writing stuff like this is dangerous. Not only will it further boost the Celtic tinfoil hat brigade into thinking that there is a deeply ingrained agenda in Scottish football to stop them being successful (they've won more than any other club in the country in my lifetime I think, so if it is a conspiracy, it's not a very good one), it could also lead to something unpleasant happening. What if a lunatic Celtic fan sees Beaton out on the street? What happens if he goes for him? 

Just like the Daily Mail and the far right lunatics attacking Muslims/anybody who looks a bit 'forrin', Sutton would be partially responsible for that.

49 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

it could also lead to something unpleasant happening. What if a lunatic Celtic fan sees Beaton out on the street? What happens if he goes for him? 

Sutton would be partially responsible for that.

No he wouldn't.

Even if there was a conspiracy against Celtic winning anything, there would still be no reason to assault anyone in the street.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

No he wouldn't.

Even if there was a conspiracy against Celtic winning anything, there would still be no reason to assault anyone in the street.

Of course there would be no reason to assault anyone in the street. There's no reason to assault people in the street full stop.

If it happened though then people like Sutton fuelling this tinfoil hat nonsense would be a reason for it. Not the main reason, that's the fault of the weirdo who does it, but normalising this conspiracy talk is dangerous. 

Beaton's already had to call the Police. Now, whilst I agree that 99% of the threats will be purely to intimidate him, all it takes is one person to go a step further.