The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 18/04/2024 at 09:02, Darren said:

From the BBC's Dundee v Rangers match report:

Rangers have gone from a position where they could have been two points ahead of Celtic by winning their two games in hand to one where, even if they win the final Old Firm derby of the season away to their city rivals, they will be behind on goal difference should both sides win their other four remaining games.

I assume your point is about the inability to mystically predict the scorelines of those matches, but it's also a terribly constructed sentence.

Edited by craigkillie

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I assume you're point is about the inability to mystically predict the scorelines of those matches, but it's also a terribly constructed sentence.

Your*

14 hours ago, derektaylor84 said:

Always find stuff like this incredible.  Without remotely being an anorak I reckon I could identify all 42 Scottish team badges by the age of about 10.  How is it possible that a football "journalist" can make this kind of mistake once, never mind so regularly?!

Edited by stu2910

10 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

Always find stuff like this incredible.  Without remotely being an anorak I reckon I could identify all 42 Scottish team badges by the age of about 10.  How is it possible that a football "journalist" can make this kind of mistake once, never mind so regularly?!

It's not a football journalist, it's a graphic designer or something. The editor should definitely be picking up on such things before it goes to print though.

18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's not a football journalist, it's a graphic designer or something. The editor should definitely be picking up on such things before it goes to print though.

A sub-editor would be responsible for placing the badges on the page, not a graphic designer.

I'd assume it'd be a sports sub-editor as well, rather than a general sub-editor.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Even a graphic designer should be wondering why the logo for (The) Spartans says 'Stenhousemuir' at the top of it though. I actually think if they were specifically a designer of things that it would be even worse that it's wrong.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Even a graphic designer should be wondering why the logo for (The) Spartans says 'Stenhousemuir' at the top of it though. I actually think if they were specifically a designer of things that it would be even worse that it's wrong.

A graphic designer won't be involved at all. It's a badge from an image library with some text around it.

Click "insert image", click "Scottish lower leagues" folder, search for "S", select first badge you see.

Job done.

17 minutes ago, Darren said:

A graphic designer won't be involved at all. It's a badge from an image library with some text around it.

Yeah, I was more addressing whether or not it would be more understandable if it was just a graphic designer though.