The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

It was very similar watching Celtic TV last night with the commentary. Saying the Stjarnan players were going to be in awe of the surroundings, atmosphere and pressure of the Champions League. They had just beaten Lech Poznan the year before and progressed to play Inter Milan. Worst thing is, they referenced the Milan games at other points of the game.

I watched a stream last night with the Celtic TV commentary - and was as angry as a Daily Mail reader by the fifth time that McManus was totally dismissive of Stjarnan players ("up against nothing" being the worst phrase) - a team that put 5 past us last year.....

We had Steven Lawleff appearing in our match reports regularly for couple of seasons.

Which is bad enough, but it wasn't even used in place of Steven Lawless, it was used in place of Steven McGarry.

Edited by Al B

His twitter page the day 'the good guys ' won the egm at Ibrox looked like it was written by one of the mentalists from the BRALT.

There's a Twitter account (the Clumpany) that seems to exhaustively catalogue the barrel scraping of Chris Jack, Keith the copper's boy and all the other lead swingers in keeping the the Rangers in the limelight while the club/ holding company signs talent it really should have signed in the summer of 2012.

Oh, and anyone who talks about the green and blue halves of Glasgow can f**k right off and suck the exhaust pipe of a bin lorry.

I think the Billy Dodds "score prediction" columns on the BBC website were the highpoint of ex-player pish "journalism" - I'm sure there was a dedicated thread on here laughing at it. To think at that point they ran that and a regular Chick Young column at the same time! And we all paid for it! :)

I've never understood the attraction of ex-players being used to fill column inches and airwaves. Even when they are extensively ghosted by someone with a vocabulary, the rarity of anything insightful or thought provoking emerging from ex-player columns makes the exercise futile and I can't imagine that they sell many papers or garner many listeners/viewers (hands up who tunes into sportsound to hear Alan "biscuits" Preston's searing insights?). There are of course exceptions that prove the rule, but so few of them exist in Scottish Football coverage.

Armageddon completely and finally exposed the unhealthy relationship between the OF and the scottish media that diddy club supporters had been banging on about for years and for many, it turned them off the written press for good just as they had been approaching that point already with the emergence of alternative sources of news and discussion.

There are genuinely good sportswriters in Scotland but the problem is that fewer and fewer people are willing to seek them out in publications that they wouldn't otherwise give their money to..

I'm expecting good things from Lawleff and Doohlan this season. © BBC Sport website.

Everyone blames the BBC for those howlers but Sky had them too. The culprit was the Press Association which provides reporting services and live updates to the broadcasters.

Everyone blames the BBC for those howlers but Sky had them too. The culprit was the Press Association which provides reporting services and live updates to the broadcasters.

Big Ebbie Malone was an absolute favourite of mine.

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/99529/ebbie-malone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9387157.stm

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

I recall Dodds' score predictor once had ICT finishing with 7 points for the season if you took his results as actual ones. And Celtic won all 38 games or something.

To be fair, it's the sub-editor's job to check spelling and accuracy. Most papers are cutting those jobs, or sometimes centralising them in England - hence lack of local knowledge.

Not even that.

The Herald subs to England, which causes no end of issues considering those doing the sub-editing are unlikely to have an in-depth knowledge of Glasgow or the surrounding areas. Once spotted Killie changed to Killy in a match report. :blink: Other papers actually use sub-editing offices in India, which surely can't work?

As a general rule of thumb, you should always do your own sub-editing to an extent before any article is sent off. I understand wanting to meet 'deadlines' or get your piece up first, but it should always be better to get it up a few minutes later and accurate, than early and a mess. Take note, "Senior Football Correspondent".

I don't think that he been mentioned anywhere near enough on this thread yet but Chris Jack is awful, awful, awful. A better exponent of churnalism you would be hard pushed to find. Makes me long for the 'glory' days when Bert Mitchell covered Thistle for the ET. Well, nearly.

To be fair, it's the sub-editor's job to check spelling and accuracy. Most papers are cutting those jobs, or sometimes centralising them in England - hence lack of local knowledge.

Not an excuse when a quick check online will get you the info you need.

I don't think that he been mentioned anywhere near enough on this thread yet but Chris Jack is awful, awful, awful. A better exponent of churnalism you would be hard pushed to find. Makes me long for the 'glory' days when Bert Mitchell covered Thistle for the ET. Well, nearly.

CDn5L-xWYAILa0F.jpg