The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

How did the goal mean that the keeper's timewasting "came back to haunt" him?

Because the point of timewasting is to shorten the match by hoping that the referee doesn't add all of the time on. Assuming that he thought it was successful, then the same time that he had been wasting was no longer available to his team to score an equaliser. Pretty basic stuff.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Because the point of timewasting is to shorten the match by hoping that the referee doesn't add all of the time on. Assuming that he thought it was successful, then the same time that he had been wasting was no longer available to his team to score an equaliser. Pretty basic stuff.

"Basic" as in utterly senseless, yes?

The goal arrived in the 113th minute, meaning the last break in the action came a mere 8 minutes before.

You're therefore suggesting that the goalkeeper had wasted sufficient time in those 8 minutes, for him to have massively damaged his side's chances of getting a goal back thereafter.

On 18/08/2019 at 12:27, Monkey Tennis said:

"Basic" as in utterly senseless, yes?

The goal arrived in the 113th minute, meaning the last break in the action came a mere 8 minutes before.

You're therefore suggesting that the goalkeeper had wasted sufficient time in those 8 minutes, for him to have massively damaged his side's chances of getting a goal back thereafter.

Williams was “time wasting “ from the first minute , or so it appeared to the Killie fans . Whether this was a continuation from last week where he acted in a similar manner I don’t know but Clancy had a word with him mid way through the 1st half for it , but for some reason didn’t act when Williams continued to do so. Whether they were hoping to get to penalties I don’t know ? Anyway it backfired and the Killie fans rejoiced at his angst in the final few minutes . 

3 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Williams was “time wasting “ from the first minute , or so it appeared to the Killie fans . Whether this was a continuation from last week where he acted in a similar manner I don’t know but Clancy had a word with him mid way through the 1st half for it , but for some reason didn’t act when Williams continued to do so. Whether they were hoping to get to penalties I don’t know ? Anyway it backfired and the Killie fans rejoiced at his angst in the final few minutes . 

I've not got a view on whether or not he was time wasting.  I just think the remark that it "came back to haunt him" when there was a goal, was stupid.

According to The Scotsman, O'Dea was vital in the deal going ahead for the Light Blues youngster.

O'Dea was a player and coach with the Dens Park side up until this summer when he departed the club.

He was sent off in his final appearance for the Dark Blues against St Mirren at the tail end of last season, with the Dees already relegated to the Championship.

The defender was then signed by Lowland League outfit East Kilbride but was sent off in his first game too.

However, as SunSport revealed, O'Dea is set to return to Celtic in a coaching role after the short spell with the k-Park club.

The final sentence of that Scotsman link:

McPake’s agent is former Celtic player Stephen Pearson, whose one-time Parkhead team-mate Darren O’Dea is thought to have been instrumental in helping the winger get to Dens, where O’Dea was a player and coach as well up until this summer.

I mean... I suppose that's a thing. Maybe it's like a Scottish football writ... journa… Scottish football media people's game. They all have a Chinese whispers thing where they challenge each other to slip random shite into articles and see how far it goes.

No shame in having to Wikipedia a players info when a new signing is announced but even I managed to spot that the guy not only signed for another club after leaving Udinese but had already left them so was signed as a free agent. The article on Hibs site says the same so obviously the beeb couldn't even be arsed to do the minimal amount of research that Wikipedia provides.

Screenshot_20190823-181328.jpg

Edited by Rodhull

The Daily Record somehow manage to wedge two Rangers references in to a small segment about St Johnstones MOM today...
Screenshot_20190824-202749_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d5f121334373770ef27ebec1c95a0566.jpg

I’m more surprised they limited themselves to only two references.

I can’t find it as a clip and I’m not sure to what extent commentary counts as journalism but it is the BBC so f**k it. Commentary last night on Match of the Day, when Salah goes through but hits it past the post, commentator says “that should have been 4” although the score was only 2-0 at the time.