The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

20 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

He is using the VAR decisions tonight, which seem to have all been correct as a reason not to implement it in Scotland...

Quite the hot take, I thought...

8 hours ago, 7-2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47976984

Hearts: Boss Craig Levein distances defender John Souttar from Rangers move

How to make an article about Heart's Naismith being fit for the Cup Final v Celtic and maybe signing from Norwich next season about Rangers.

I didn't really have a problem with this, the Naismith stuff was pretty matter of fact. If he's fit he plays in the final. Contract talks with him have been rumbling on for months. Craig Levein dismisses Rangers interest in John Souttar might have been a more accurate reflection, given his tone. 

The BBC football home page has an article entitled "Lawro's Premier League predictions v 'RED' the super-computer " with a picture apparently showing some incredibly complex computer code. Only it's not - it's just a snippet of CSS.

Although I suppose a snippet of CSS can probably still do a better job of predicting football scores than Lorro.

33 minutes ago, nsr said:

The BBC football home page has an article entitled "Lawro's Premier League predictions v 'RED' the super-computer " with a picture apparently showing some incredibly complex computer code. Only it's not - it's just a snippet of CSS.

Although I suppose a snippet of CSS can probably still do a better job of predicting football scores than Lorro.

I saw something a few years ago saying he actually is pretty good at the predictions.

After a bit of Googling it was the Football Ramble forum. Load of people played along and Lawro came out on top: http://www.thefootballramble.co.uk/forum/viewthread/9159/

He's still a c**t, and I imagine he backs the favourite in most games, but still

Edit: they do it every year and Lawro wins every time: http://www.thefootballramble.co.uk/forum/viewthread/9781/ :lol:

Edited by killiefan27

On 4/17/2019 at 12:33, Dons_1988 said:

Is "if that had been us..." the most common phrase in the OF vocabulary?

No it's "but what about that time they..................................."

Edited by Trackdaybob

The snippet of code will also be a better comintator

59 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
9 hours ago, nsr said:

The snippet of code will also be a better comintator

Are you a journalist?

11 hours ago, Darren said:

Quite the hot take, I thought...

If 'dismantling' means 'getting the decision correct and applying the rules of the game', then I agree with him.

In Gary Ralston's puff piece about Steven Gerrard – I mean preview of the St Mirren v Rangers game – it's a wonder to see a towering series of metaphors collapse by the end of the sentence. 

A shoulder to the wheel became a shoulder to cry on as Rangers shed so many tears it was in danger of burning the Northern Ireland number two to the bone.

7 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

In Gary Ralston's puff piece about Steven Gerrard – I mean preview of the St Mirren v Rangers game – it's a wonder to see a towering series of metaphors collapse by the end of the sentence. 

Let's be honest, I'd far rather subject my eyes to this that Gary Ralston's usual "releases" about Rangers*......

Spoiler

5cb97ea0acddf_images(14).jpeg.1a91f4b59bee0c9d60a65ba0034c0a86.jpeg

11 hours ago, killiefan27 said:

I saw something a few years ago saying he actually is pretty good at the predictions.

After a bit of Googling it was the Football Ramble forum. Load of people played along and Lawro came out on top: http://www.thefootballramble.co.uk/forum/viewthread/9159/

He's still a c**t, and I imagine he backs the favourite in most games, but still

Edit: they do it every year and Lawro wins every time: http://www.thefootballramble.co.uk/forum/viewthread/9781/ :lol:

Doubt I'll be able to find it now, but a betting account I follow back-fitted Lawro and Merson's prediction to the odds and found them both to be in profit over the last 3 seasons :lol:

12 hours ago, nsr said:

We need more CSS!

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Did we sneak into the top six when I wasn't looking? Fantastic! No relegation battle for us!