The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

37 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I saw that today but realised that the attendance figures issued by Celtic and Rangers include season ticket holders whether they're there or not. The other clubs may take the same approach, I have no idea to be honest, but it does make it fairly nonsensical.

Loads of clubs do it.

Not something I agree with but it's a common practice. Apparently it's to appeal more to sponsors and advertisers, but since it's such a well established practice I'm not sure anyone is fooled by it.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Loads of clubs do it.

Not something I agree with but it's a common practice. Apparently it's to appeal more to sponsors and advertisers, but since it's such a well established practice I'm not sure anyone is fooled by it.

That and it's much more effective to count season tickets + new ticket sales rather than have someone at every gate "clicking" people in.

2 minutes ago, Crawford said:

That and it's much more effective to count season tickets + new ticket sales rather than have someone at every gate "clicking" people in.

Surely most top flight clubs have automated systems that would tell them immediately how many attended. No need for ‘clicking’ as you suggest. 

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Loads of clubs do it.

Yep, for example there was over 4,000 at County v Partick at the weekend.  Although there was no way there was anything close to that. Shave at least a thousand off that.

Like DA says, it's merely a propaganda tool to show the club in a good light and get the press onside.

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Surely most top flight clubs have automated systems that would tell them immediately how many attended. No need for ‘clicking’ as you suggest. 

I would be very surprised if any of the club's had that technology. Even the ugly sisters. Not that it's expensive or anything, I'm sure it's quite cheap, but it's an unnecessary expense in an already expensive game.

28 minutes ago, Crawford said:

I would be very surprised if any of the club's had that technology. Even the ugly sisters. Not that it's expensive or anything, I'm sure it's quite cheap, but it's an unnecessary expense in an already expensive game.

Aberdeen's tickets are all scanned through machines at the turnstiles, I'd be very surprised if it didn't count who was coming through the door.

Also, I'm pretty sure clubs are required to record actual attendances in any case are they not? Not necessarily to publish but I think the police record it.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aberdeen's tickets are all scanned through machines at the turnstiles, I'd be very surprised if it didn't count who was coming through the door.

Also, I'm pretty sure clubs are required to record actual attendances in any case are they not? Not necessarily to publish but I think the police record it.

That would actually make too much sense and I'm a fucking idiot.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Sore losers if we call it out in losing, playing the victim when we call it out when winning .... when should we call it out?

Aberdeen went out with pretty obvious tactics which resulted in 2 players and 2 staff being sent off, he's spot on, if it had been shoe on the other foot you would all be having a field day.

3 minutes ago, RPHG said:

Sore losers if we call it out in losing, playing the victim when we call it out when winning .... when should we call it out?

Aberdeen went out with pretty obvious tactics which resulted in 2 players and 2 staff being sent off, he's spot on, if it had been shoe on the other foot you would all be having a field day.

Aye ok then.

Who wins and automatically spouts shite like "if we'd done that you'd be going mental".

No, we'd have been celebrating a victory in a national cup semi final.

13 minutes ago, RPHG said:

Celtic have never hospitalised one of our players with a late header or lunged into a tackle. They are always the good guys.  Especially when their ex players are writing myopic biased bullshit to play to the stupid gallery. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Celtic have never hospitalised one of our players with a late header or lunged into a tackle. They are always the good guys.  Especially when their ex players are writing myopic biased bullshit to play to the stupid gallery. 

Do you remember the slavering over Graeme Shinnie's 'dive' on Boxing Day?

More contact than the foul on Hayes for the penalty at the weekend. Barely a word said.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

More contact than the foul on Hayes for the penalty at the weekend. Barely a word said.

I must have missed Eduoards trial by sportscene for whatever he did on the touchline, and Ajer's for the judo style marking of Cosgrove. 

But poor Celtic. They would have been criticised if they'd done any fouls, or something. 

Edited by coprolite

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

There wasn't.

I'm sure I've told you before, because you make something up and put it on here passing it as fact doesn't make it an actual fact.