The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 2/15/2019 at 15:09, Darren said:

This is a terrible all-rounder.

How would Scottish football look with only Scottish players?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17436245.how-would-scottish-football-look-with-only-scottish-players/

Somebody actually signed off on that.  

9 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I don't know what's worse; the standard of the writing, the actual concept, or the graphic design on the league table.  Holy crap, that's a bad article.  I'm guessing James Cairney is an unpaid intern.  Imagine that, though, a journalist who can't journalist.

Edit: next week, What would Scottish football look like with only players whose surnames begin with the letters A-H?

Edited by Savage Henry

I don't know what's worse; the standard of the writing, the actual concept, or the graphic design on the league table.  Holy crap, that's a bad article.  I'm guessing James Cairney is an unpaid intern.  Imagine that, though, a journalist who can't journalist.

Edit: next week, What would Scottish football look like with only players whose surnames begin with the letters A-H?
Id like to see what the league table would be like if only goals scored on odd minutes counted.

I think it would be a damning indictment of the state of Scottish football and its unsurprising that this info is being kept from the fans.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Id like to see what the league table would be like if only goals scored on odd minutes counted.

I think it would be a damning indictment of the state of Scottish football and its unsurprising that this info is being kept from the fans.

Typical Scottish cringe, IMO.  You're completely discounting goals scored in the even minutes in order to bring our game down.

49 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

This is a great example of what should be highlighted in this thread IMO.

Professional sportwriters tend to range from sniffy and condescending to outright hostility towards bloggers - but that piece reads precisely like a (deeply mediocre) blog post.  In terms of content, it feels like it's fallen through a hole in the sky from the early 1990's when a large influx of furriners was a relatively novel concept and there were discussions about limiting the number of them in each team.  Why anyone thought it was a good idea to write about it now will remain a mystery.

I read the Herald/Times sports stuff a lot and in amongst the obligatory Old Firm SEO stuff, there is good writing - but I'd be amazed if that piece had been looked over by anyone other than the writer before it was published...

Did anyone else just see the preview of tonight's cup game on Reporting Scotland?

Bloody hell they've certainly taken Sevco's comments about bias to heart haven't they? In summary:

> The piece was introduced in the context of Billy Dodds saying it would be a "disaster" if "Rangers" (sic) went out
> It's "Rangers'" (sic) biggest game of the season
> They couldn't get the job done first time round
> They have a second chance tonight
> Here's Rangers' (sic) form this year
> The Scottish Cup is their best chance of a trophy
> Billy Dodds talking head toby jug
> Oh by the way they're playing Kilmarnock and here's 10 seconds of Steve Clarke
> (Brief interlude for one of last night's penalties)
> But remember, it's "Rangers" (sic) that are playing

BBC not even pretending to care about Kilmarnocks line up, and just sticking the players wherever. Anyone with any interest in Scottish football could correctly predict the line up based on the names, but not the guy the BBC hire...

c524191c-4a37-4240-a650-4e699254280a.png.5bd9a776d6e1e20756d288e6efa60104.png

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

BBC not even pretending to care about Kilmarnocks line up, and just sticking the players wherever. Anyone with any interest in Scottish football could correctly predict the line up based on the names, but not the guy the BBC hire...

c524191c-4a37-4240-a650-4e699254280a.png.5bd9a776d6e1e20756d288e6efa60104.png

That is incredibly lazy given that all they had to do is check Kilmarnock's official twitter feed

image.thumb.png.37f79ed0b4b1eb87f9247a6f30d75213.png

Edited by senorsoupe