The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

At the time everyone was saying Davie Irons was the brains behind that management team but it's not as if his management career has been anything but resounding mediocrity since then. Rowan done more, on a smaller budget, with a lot less support, than Sevco managed. He probably did deserve another crack at league management.

At the time he probably could have gotten another job.  Over a decade later? No chance. 

I think him being put on gardening leave and the rumours that it was due to him having mental health issues put folk off. Especially when he turnt up for work at Fir Park. Made him look like a right nutter (I believe he was doing that so he could get his full compo for being sacked tho'?)

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rowan-alexander-opens-up-gretna-13729452

Anybody who knows me knows how much I despise Gretna and their 'fairytale' (that word is used 4 times!).  This article is just an interview with Rowan Alexander but his quotes are brilliant - 

They signed Bryan Gilfillan and Dene Shields from us both who were key players in our squad.  In Gilfillan they signed him and then loaned him UP a division to Stranraer. 

This is a man who after leaving Gretna over a decade ago hasn't managed another club.

I used to sit beside Bryan Gilfillan in maths in Millburn Academy.

On 20/12/2018 at 10:10, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I think him being put on gardening leave and the rumours that it was due to him having mental health issues put folk off. Especially when he turnt up for work at Fir Park. Made him look like a right nutter (I believe he was doing that so he could get his full compo for being sacked tho'?)

Aye, he won the divisions with only 10 times the budget of his opponents, rather than 100 like Rangers.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rowan-alexander-opens-up-gretna-13729452
Anybody who knows me knows how much I despise Gretna and their 'fairytale' (that word is used 4 times!).  This article is just an interview with Rowan Alexander but his quotes are brilliant - 
"A lot of people thought we had an open cheque book to do it. That's a load of bulls***. They say we got our success through buying players. Well the only player I bought was David Bingham.
"The rest were sitting on the benches at the clubs they were at. They were going out the door so we picked them up for nothing and gave them an opportunity of enjoying football again. And they did.
They signed Bryan Gilfillan and Dene Shields from us both who were key players in our squad.  In Gilfillan they signed him and then loaned him UP a division to Stranraer. 
I'm desperate to get back into the professional game because that's where my talents deserve to be.
This is a man who after leaving Gretna over a decade ago hasn't managed another club.

They also paid Ross County £60,000 for Martin Canning.

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, he won the divisions with only 10 times the budget of his opponents, rather than 100 like Rangers.

Instead of assembling a squad full of unconscionable diddies, if Rangers had adapted the Gretna model and simply bought the 16 staunchest players from the league above each year (with the promise of old 9IAR DVDs as a win bonus), they'd have scythed through the divisions nae bother.

21 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

They also paid Ross County £60,000 for Martin Canning.

They also paid a fee for Allan Jenkins to join them from Stranraer in a January window.  I'd imagine there were others.

Of course, even if the claims about not buying players were true, they would be grossly misleading.  They were paying wages that were wildly above those offered by the clubs around them, which is why they were able to attract top flight standard players.  A good example would be Stevie Tosh who went there, despite being offered a contract by Aberdeen.

3 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

Why? I quantified it by saying maybe.

My post was in response to Jarballs, claim about Millburn Academy, I even quoted it in my post.  Have you an opinion on the subject?

Yes.

My opinion is that when people talk about "good" schools or even "best" schools, they're usually talking out their arses.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is it just me that can't access results or tables outside the top flight on the BBC' s Scottish Football page?

I think it is just you, click on "more" beside the Scottish premiership  on the table or fixtures, and you should be able to select championship or league 1 or 2 from there