The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I am constantly amazed that people think predictions on a game of football are something that it is worth having in the universe.
There are a million things that can happen and a million variables. I find it utterly bizarre that anybody ever makes 'predictions' (they mean guesses) and that anybody reads them.

I find it bizarre how wound up you always seem to get about people making predictions.

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:
10 hours ago, JTS98 said:
I am constantly amazed that people think predictions on a game of football are something that it is worth having in the universe.
There are a million things that can happen and a million variables. I find it utterly bizarre that anybody ever makes 'predictions' (they mean guesses) and that anybody reads them.

I find it bizarre how wound up you always seem to get about people making predictions.

Tbh I saw that coming 

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You've got to hope some lazy hack got their arse skelped for that.

Is it common for news sources to plagiarise club news feeds and the like?

I've never seen it happen before when I read it I was proper deja vuni had to go check. I'd imagine someone needs a talking to but no-one influential will see it. BBC Scotland seems like an old boys club anyway

You've got to hope some lazy hack got their arse skelped for that.
Is it common for news sources to plagiarise club news feeds and the like?

The Sky Sports and BBC reports from lower league games are often cut and paste jobs from the news agencies (hence you often see scorers misnamed in multiple sources). It’s the source of some consternation among freelancers who supply work for the agencies. I’m not even quite sure how they are able to get away with it, other than the writer has already been paid.

Keith Jackson has a cunning plan for Celtic's striker situation, 36 year old overpaid Jermain Defoe!  When has signing a 30-something over the hill ex-England international striker ever gone badly for Celtic...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-should-go-jermain-defoe-13743040

Football manager in football manager wants to return to management. Honestly, these folk that write this should be in the sea. The journalist in the photo chasing him for his reaction to getting the boot. What are they expecting? Him to go “yeah, happy with the job i done, happy with the payoff, and i don’t have to argue with jeff shreeves on a Saturday afternoon”

On 16/12/2018 at 21:01, Savage Henry said:

The Sky Sports and BBC reports from lower league games are often cut and paste jobs from the news agencies (hence you often see scorers misnamed in multiple sources). It’s the source of some consternation among freelancers who supply work for the agencies. I’m not even quite sure how they are able to get away with it, other than the writer has already been paid.

Sky and the BBC will pay the agencies to use the content royalty-free on their respective websites.  That unfortunately will include being able to drop the name of the reporter.

In other news, BBC Scotland are continuing their policy of reporting on anything that any Scottish former player or manager does.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rowan-alexander-opens-up-gretna-13729452

Anybody who knows me knows how much I despise Gretna and their 'fairytale' (that word is used 4 times!).  This article is just an interview with Rowan Alexander but his quotes are brilliant - 

"A lot of people thought we had an open cheque book to do it. That's a load of bulls***. They say we got our success through buying players. Well the only player I bought was David Bingham.

"The rest were sitting on the benches at the clubs they were at. They were going out the door so we picked them up for nothing and gave them an opportunity of enjoying football again. And they did.

They signed Bryan Gilfillan and Dene Shields from us both who were key players in our squad.  In Gilfillan they signed him and then loaned him UP a division to Stranraer. 

I'm desperate to get back into the professional game because that's where my talents deserve to be.

This is a man who after leaving Gretna over a decade ago hasn't managed another club.

30 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

This is a man who after leaving Gretna over a decade ago hasn't managed another club.

At the time everyone was saying Davie Irons was the brains behind that management team but it's not as if his management career has been anything but resounding mediocrity since then. Rowan done more, on a smaller budget, with a lot less support, than Sevco managed. He probably did deserve another crack at league management.