The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Horrific article once again from Keith.

There is a poor attempt to mask it as some sort of link to the tv deal when in actual fact it's just a reason to have a go at Livi.  We would not have seen this article if Celtic had won 1-0.  

Also note that throughout he references 'Livingston away' as opposed to 'Livingston vs Celtic'.  The message is clear, there is a protagonist in this and a supporting act.  A weegie view of Scottish football in a nutshell.

43 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Horrific article once again from Keith.

There is a poor attempt to mask it as some sort of link to the tv deal when in actual fact it's just a reason to have a go at Livi.  We would not have seen this article if Celtic had won 1-0.  

Also note that throughout he references 'Livingston away' as opposed to 'Livingston vs Celtic'.  The message is clear, there is a protagonist in this and a supporting act.  A weegie view of Scottish football in a nutshell.

The guy is gutter journalism at its best, he is probably hoping for folk to bite and re tweet his pish and that will make him feel relevant, aye plastic pitches have their flaws but ill look forward to the outrage when one of the grass pithes look like a ploughed field come mid january.

You lot cant stop winning on ours.

What was worse was that a Livi-supporting journalism student had a go at him on Twitter and got a whole load of 'kiss this man's hand, you ungrateful oik' stuff from Ewan Murray and Neil Cameron along with various threats about killing his career before it had started.

I'm biased - I despise the Old Firm and will never choose to watch either of them v anyone other than my own 'big' team (Aberdeen). But was Livi v Celtic really any worse an ad for our game than watching Celtic steamroller someone i.e. St Johnstone a few weeks back?

Edited by cmontheloknow

12 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

What was worse was that a Livi-supporting journalism student had a go at him on Twitter and got a whole load of 'kiss this man's hand, you ungrateful oik' stuff from Ewan Murray and Neil Cameron along with various threats about killing his career before it had started.

I'm biased - I despise the Old Firm and will never choose to watch either of them v anyone other than my own 'big' team (Aberdeen). But was Livi v Celtic really any worse an ad for our game than watching Celtic steamroller someone i.e. St Johnstone a few weeks back?

That entire thread is brutal.  Absolutely brutal.  By any standards, Keith Jackson is not a good writer.  He's a tabloid hack.  Like Adrian Durham.  Ewan Murray's an absolute weirdo, and Neil Cameron should know much better, even if the guy making the comments  is doing a clown college course.  

It's a ridiculous piece of twaddle of an article.  The responses are just the Scottish sports journalism clique, with half of them thinking they are Woodward and Bernstein.  As Hunter S Thompson said (I've posted this loads of times before, and will continue to do so as it will always be relevant):

sportswriters are a kind of rude and brainless subculture of fascist drunks whose only real function is to publicize & sell whatever the sports editor sends them out to cover….

Which is a nice way to make a living, because it keeps a man busy and requires no thought at all. The two keys to success as a sportswriter are: 1) A blind willingness to believe anything you’re told by the coaches, flacks, hustlers and other “official spokesmen” for the team-owners who provide the free booze … and: 2) A Roget’s Thesaurus, in order to avoid using the same verbs and adjectives twice in the same paragraph.

And lest we forget, Keith Jackson wrote this about Alfredo Morelos.  It may be the poorest written article I've ever read in a mainstream newspaper.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-see-alfredo-morelos-price-11208418

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

And lest we forget, Keith Jackson wrote this about Alfredo Morelos.  It may be the poorest written article I've ever read in a mainstream newspaper.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-see-alfredo-morelos-price-11208418

Teder pushes the metaphor so far and then pushes it a little more until it prolapses.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Just seen that myself.  Utterly pathetic :lol:  Neil Cameron  with a word of advice don't ever  slag of a senior journalist on Twitter. Ewan Murray unsurprisingly coming across as an utter tool while Jackson comes across as a big headed tit.  No surprises at all.

Journalists are in a profession which mainly has an aim of providing information that someone doesn't you to know.
These guys are trying to silence the opinion of an aspiring journalist because they don't like him (correctly) having a pop at Jackson's dreadful article.
It mostly comes across as them using their power to silence a dissenting voice.
If someone did this to them, they would be up in arms about it.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Journalists are in a profession which mainly has an aim of providing information that someone doesn't you to know.
These guys are trying to silence the opinion of an aspiring journalist because they don't like him (correctly) having a pop at Jackson's dreadful article.

Agreed fully.  It's an utterly pathetic way to act.  The condescending tone in which they reply to him too really irritates me.

It's basically a "we've had articles published in the Daily Record for years - how dare you criticise our work".  As with most things in Scottish football it's the jobs for the boys gang pulling together to try and stop anybody offering a more educated opinion.

32 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Agreed fully.  It's an utterly pathetic way to act.  The condescending tone in which they reply to him too really irritates me.

It's basically a "we've had articles published in the Daily Record for years - how dare you criticise our work".  As with most things in Scottish football it's the jobs for the boys gang pulling together to try and stop anybody offering a more educated opinion.

It's similar to when Alex Thomson started reporting on Rangers during their admin/liquidation years.  He appeared on a radio programme, possibly SSB, and that was the jist of their comebacks.  We've been reporting on Scottish football for years, what do you know.

Which was funny given his whole argument was that Glasgow journalists were too close to their sources and had failed in reporting the hard facts on Rangers.  

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

Just seen that myself.  Utterly pathetic :lol:  Neil Cameron  with a word of advice don't ever  slag of a senior journalist on Twitter. Ewan Murray unsurprisingly coming across as an utter tool while Jackson comes across as a big headed tit.  No surprises at all.

To play devil's advocate for a second, maybe calling him a fanny on an open forum might not have been the smartest of moves for someone who will, presumably, be looking to have a career in journalism.  It's not very professional.

Other than that he's spot on.  And Keef is a fanny, tbf.

3 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

To play devil's advocate for a second, maybe calling him a fanny on an open forum might not have been the smartest of moves for someone who will, presumably, be looking to have a career in journalism.  It's not very professional.

Other than that he's spot on.  And Keef is a fanny, tbf.

I agree that he could have left out the fanny bit but the way they've ganged up on him is bit out of order in my opinion.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I reckon someone probably has done similar to the usual suspects in the distant past. These are the spineless line-toers who didn't object and did what they were told to.