The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, The Master said:

He was of course only 19 at the time of this clip. But it demonstrates that people who work in broadcasting change their voices all the time, not just to appeal to a certain audience.

Comparing a person aged to 19 to what they are 30 odd years later is a bit pointless. However your overall point is right. Cosgrove was a prime example from the days I used to listen to him and Cowan. He'd be all weegie jakey on the radio from Glasgow then you'd see him on some Channel 4 cultural programme speaking in his natural accent.  Dumbing down for Scottish football fans showed what was thought of their audience.

33 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Comparing a person aged to 19 to what they are 30 odd years later is a bit pointless. However your overall point is right.

My comparison was with the video I quoted. He sounds completely different in the two, despite them only being three years or so apart. 

At least, I'm assuming the Aberdeen video was contemporary and wasn't produced years later.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

My comparison was with the video I quoted. He sounds completely different in the two, despite them only being three years or so apart. 

At least, I'm assuming the Aberdeen video was contemporary and wasn't produced years later.

Right, got you now. I would never have recognised him on either. He sounded more Pathe News than transatlantic in the first one!

They live in Dubai. It doesn't seem to matter if you're American, Pakistani, Ghanaian or Scottish. You all speak with the same American twang. 

Absolutely not true. It must be exclusive to your acquaintances, even people born in Dubai from English, Pakistani, Indian parentage speak with the accents of their parents.

7 hours ago, The Master said:

Just three seasons before, he sounded completely different, reporting from St Mirren v Celtic on the final day of the 85/86 season:

He was of course only 19 at the time of this clip. But it demonstrates that people who work in broadcasting change their voices all the time, not just to appeal to a certain audience.

cheers - yet the late 80s clip was well before he went stateside.

2 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Absolutely not true. It must be exclusive to your acquaintances, even people born in Dubai from English, Pakistani, Indian parentage speak with the accents of their parents.

How the f**k do they understand your Montrose twang?

On 01/08/2018 at 12:42, Ross Forbes said:

My cousins were born in Aberdeen to Scottish parents but have grown up in the Middle East so speak with American accents. Tis just what happens. I've got a Dutch mate who speaks with a Scottish accent and he's only been here for three years.

Anyway, I can't be bothered reading the whole thread, but Derek Rae is an outstanding commentator and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I was born in The Netherlands but have lived in the UK for nearly a decade now (first England, then Scotland). Over here, people think I'm Dutch, German or Scandinavian (people often struggle placing my accent more exactly). Yet when I'm speaking Dutch in The Netherlands they ask me what part of the UK I'm from...

I know that it’s not journalism, but the commentator on BT Sport for the Aberdeen match last night was something else. He didn’t know that you could use a fourth sub in extra time, he said that Aberdeen had never beaten English opposition, and worst of all, he said “Consideen” every single teem.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that it’s not journalism, but the commentator on BT Sport for the Aberdeen match last night was something else. He didn’t know that you could use a fourth sub in extra time, he said that Aberdeen had never beaten English opposition, and worst of all, he said “Consideen” every single teem.

Did he not watch the World Cup?

(e.g. England used their fourth sub against both Colombia and Croatia.)

No there hasn't. There have been 2 since 1975. One was to change the name of the top league from the Scottish Premier Division to the Scottish Premier League (SPL) as the top league broke away from the SFL to form their own (greedy, self serving) body. Then the SFL and SPL merged to become the SPFL, and the top league was named the Scottish Premiership.
In England the top league was called the First Division until 1992 when it became the Premier League, as the top league clubs broke away to form a new (greedy, self serving) body. This is 6 years before our top league clubs did the same thing and used (almost) the same name.
Ok there have been two changes but they're still both on a Premier theme. Adopting the Premier name is still more of a copy by the English authorities than changing Division to League. Premiership is maybe a bit more debatable but even then I don't think the Scottish changes add up to more of a copy than the English adoption of Premier.

On 8/1/2018 at 16:28, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't see it as clunky.

I think it reads quite fluently.

I can see my pedantry is not going to win you over. :lol:

18 hours ago, Curler said:

BBC Scotland news tonight ran a10minutes post saying that the Scottish Premier League starts tomorrow. No mention that the other 3 senior league start tomorrow - shocking

Or the fact that the SPL doesn't exist any more.

Apart from that, well done everybody.