The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

5 hours ago, Jake said:

Have you listened to Scottish commentators and pundits reporting on Scottish games?  I would suggest every country has the same sort of idiots on their TVs and radios. 

The problem they had was whether to employ Scottish, Welsh and N Irish commentators to cover the same games or to just piss of the viewers from these countries.  They have gone for the cheaper option. 

You are wrong there though, it is not a cheap option. Not by a long shot.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/alan-shearer-bbc-earning-450000-football-pundit-match-of-the-day-gary-lineker-a7848451.html

http://sport.bt.com/tennis/gary-lineker-salary-revealed-to-be-more-than-175million-in-bbc-annual-report-S11364197125739

37 minutes ago, Jake said:

I would like to publicly apologies to Buddist Monk for my ill-advised comments about Scottish commentators.  I didn't realise  his anger towards the BBC in general, and English football pundits in particular, was so acute or had affected him so badly.

I'm enjoying his rants though.

You are using a false dichotomy there, bud, just because my points are valid (and they are) it doesn't mean I've dismissed yours. We are a parochial nation and fall into easy stereotypes for our cousins to the South. The "whatabootery" argument is a tad irrelevant though.

36 minutes ago, HaikuHibee said:

The problem is, these idiots would still be employed for transmissions in England.  The extra cost would come from having to pay for local commentators/pundits in the other transmission areas, so that Buddist Monk (and his Welsh and Northern Ireland equivalents) isn't subjected to the inane drivel that is causing him so much frustration..

5 hours ago, Jake said:

The problem is, these idiots would still be employed for transmissions in England.  The extra cost would come from having to pay for local commentators/pundits in the other transmission areas, so that Buddist Monk (and his Welsh and Northern Ireland equivalents) isn't subjected to the inane drivel that is causing him so much frustration..

It's got a lot worse. We had our own coverage, maybe ten years ago.

There is other shite too, that makes it more sinister. And the beeb's to blame.

• You have a standard English pundit. Take Gary Lineker. He recognises England have a rivalry with Germany, and enjoys it. It is a reason I remember England-Germany games. I have no real problem with those guys, but they are still English pundits for an English audience.
  • Then you have English pundits 'discovering' Scotland.  Like that utter w**k that came up to Scotland to talk about Anyone But England as if its not been around since the 19th century (what was all these iconic moments in Scottish footballing history, 1967, 1977 and digging up Wembley all about?) and even formed the basis for modern international football (why was the first international friendly between Scotland and England?). Even there, that's just a symptom of the fact the English people are being asked to cover Scottish football, it's like asking a German to give us a rundown on the English resentment to Germany's successes.
  • But what I really can't stand, and where I agree with you is that Scottish journalists can be worse than those guys (or as bad), and I imagine Welsh ones are even worse than Scottish ones. Scottish commentators and pundits nearly all consider the fact the BBC presents Scottish football as a novelty sideshow as perfectly normal. They will gleefully give us updates on a Scottish diddy's career in the championship as if everyone at a game on Saturday should care Barrie McKay scored against Preston. Funnily enough I find a lot of the English players that have been here for a while (like Chris Sutton and even Terry Butcher) or Scottish players that played in England have the most respect for our game.
  • Then there are the dribbling bellends writing for the BBC and newspapers, who - for whatever reason - will convince the vast majority of Scottish football fans that is all in their heads and go as far to tell folk to support England and present it as some forward-thinking revolutionary concept, as if they are fighting for the emancipation of slaves and not being oddities in the oldest rivalry in football. They are truly the dregs of sports journalism. Offering nothing but gibberish to Scottish football fans, English football fans, or any football fans anywhere at any time.
Edited by HaikuHibee

Guest Moomintroll
I purchase the Scottish Sun every day and the Daily Mail on a Tuesday and Friday.
I have done so for many years, especially the Scottish Sun.
Serious question, is Martin Samuels column in the Scottish Daily Mail?

1 hour ago, shull said:

I purchase the Scottish Sun every day and the Daily Mail on a Tuesday and Friday.

What's in the Daily Mail on Tuesdays and Fridays that are so appealing.

On 30/06/2018 at 19:00, Buddist Monk said:

It's not because Butcher is English that's the problem, it was a problem when Burley appointed him assistant manager and he spent the time complaining about Maradona rather than his actual fucking job but it's not a problem with him commenting on England. No, the problem with Butcher is his bolshy and petulant world view, laced with incredible ignorance.

I was unfortunate enough to have to listen to one of the World Cup games on the BBC World Service where Butcher was the co-commentator. Dear oh fucking dear. When he wasn't attempting to make it all about him with the "in my day" chat, he was attempting, in vain, to be funny with every comment.  His patter is brutal. 

On 30/06/2018 at 11:03, Buddist Monk said:

Scottish annoyance is reactionary though not proactive, where English contrivance is entirely that; premeditated contrivance. It's made worse by the fact that this is not England yet the broadcasters (even the Scottish ones) seem unable to recognise that.

I understand when commentators say "we" but that's bad commentating, instead it's just the same as some lad in the stands giving it laldy.

What's more the key idiots, like Butcher and Hoddle (the latter shouldn't even be on mainstream media due to his fucked up worldview) are so dismissive and they are so ignorant over the most basic of things. While you will find bias in the way Scots report either England or Scotland, it's laced with traditional self deprecation and a considerable reduction in general ignorance.

what about the reactionary contrivance and premeditated annoyance though?

Can't you just enjoy knowing that the smugness is baseless? I am looking forward very much to crestfallen buffoons crying into their three lion scarves, and the pride that comes before the fall just makes it sweeter.

7 hours ago, shull said:

Christ on a bike, man. That can't be good for your health.

It's completely pointless idiots like Neville, Jenas, Murphy and Keown that get me. Keown can on (the rare) occasion be magnanimous, but the rest (and despite them clearly having a lot of experience in the game) are there to offer empty platitudes that offer nothing.
Just remember that we pay our licence fee so these c***s can be paid a kings ransom (and likely more than most earn in a year) to parrot out tired old stereotypes while adding little of value.
Murphy is so bad, I actually thought it was Lawrenson that was the pundit during a game.

6 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

Murphy is so bad, I actually thought it was Lawrenson that was the pundit during a game.

Murphy manages to achieve the rare feat of being a worse pundit than he was a player. Shearer and Lineker aren't great pundits, but they were great players, Murphy on the other hand has dug himself a basement.

On 30/06/2018 at 17:05, Buddist Monk said:

You are using a false dichotomy there, bud, just because my points are valid (and they are) it doesn't mean I've dismissed yours. We are a parochial nation and fall into easy stereotypes for our cousins to the South. The "whatabootery" argument is a tad irrelevant though.

What's parochial about us? I wonder if Danes think Denmark is parochial. I think we're just unfortunate there's a few arseholes kicking about who are consumed by self loathing, doesn't make Scotland parochial.