The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

your reasonsble response made my friend feel guilty about not caring so he looked it up and apart from not knowing exactly where  56. 2458 degrees is, understands the salient points. after 25 minutes. for no remuneration.

I'm glad. Not only has you friend enriched his knowledge, and therefore his enjoyment, of Scottish football - but he will be able to spread this knowledge and enjoyment to others. Never again must he remain silent if someone asks what happens when HL club go up, but someone from Fife go down; what the club licensing cut off is; or say 'what? kids?' when hearing of a Junior game.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

apart from not knowing exactly where  56. 2458 degrees is

1039722_8784122e.jpg

5 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

On a Friday afternoon ahead of a big weekend of sport including playoff games, the final round of fixtures in the premier league, two European rugby finals (including one this evening) and Formula 1, the BBC's headline story is an interview with a Liverpool player.

Screenshot_20180511-175310.png

You could have chosen the Scottish one where. since the middle of the afternoon of the Premiership play off semi final 2nd leg, they've had a puff piece about Scott Brown wanting to manage Celtic as the lead. 

Maybe it's because tonight's game was apparently only the PLAY-OFF QUARTER-FINAL according to them though. :rolleyes:

Edited by 7-2

Stupid comment from tonights Livi - Dundee Utd game- Stephen Craigan- "As a club, Dundee United deserve to be in the Premier League" .  Would love for him to explain his rationale.  

It’s either A) lazy journalism that because they use to be in it, they deserve to be in it.

Or

He’s no seen them play this season.

Or more likely he's a thick b*****d who still thinks this is the Dundee United of 1979-1988 whilst the reality is it most certainly isn't and never will be again.

2 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Stupid comment from tonights Livi - Dundee Utd game- Stephen Craigan- "As a club, Dundee United deserve to be in the Premier League" .  Would love for him to explain his rationale.  

Dundee Utd have spent more seasons out of the top flight than they have in it and they appear committed to ensuring that this stat won’t change any time soon.

Which is nice.

It’s pretty obvious that United are in the top 12 clubs in the country (by anyone’s definition of what defines a clubs size) even if their team on the park is shite surely?

Have we not yet switched to a top division consisting of the best hospitality facilities for hard-working, award-winning journalists and pundits?

(complimentary hookers and blow at Tannadice, clearly)

45 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s pretty obvious that United are in the top 12 clubs in the country (by anyone’s definition of what defines a clubs size) even if their team on the park is shite surely?

Big team found.

Seriously though, they should be, and there's clearly issues there. If they can get the right boardroom, manager, and the right squad, they'll get back up and stay there (for ten years or so).

Big team found.

Seriously though, they should be, and there's clearly issues there. If they can get the right boardroom, manager, and the right squad, they'll get back up and stay there (for ten years or so).

I think it’s just common sense.

When Dunfermline found themselves floundering in League 1 everyone thought the same, as a club they shouldn’t have been there, with the resources and fan base they had they should’ve been up in the Championship or possibly even the Prem.

Since Hearts/Hibs/Rangers/United etc have been relegated people have been frustrated at pundits saying that but I personally don’t get it.

Everyone gets that the team on the park is shite they’re only saying that they shouldn’t be so shite and as a club should be doing better.

41 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

When Dunfermline found themselves floundering in League 1 everyone thought the same, as a club they shouldn’t have been there, with the resources and fan base they had they should’ve been up in the Championship or possibly even the Prem.

Since Hearts/Hibs/Rangers/United etc have been relegated people have been frustrated at pundits saying that but I personally don’t get it.

Everyone gets that the team on the park is shite they’re only saying that they shouldn’t be so shite and as a club should be doing better.

This is the issue with football; I'd wager the thing that most of us love about it...status means f**k all. You have to back it up on the grass. We love our club, we love our set of players playing well. Mostly, we love our club going somewhere. Today is fleeting, tomorrow is the day our dreams are built. Hope is the foundation of a football club, and some clubs do hope better than others.

5 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Rangers weren‘t relegated. 

Do you think English pundits pine for Leeds United and Nottingham Forrest to be back in the Premier League? 

I’ve seen or read absolutely nothing to suggest this.  In fact, they appear to embrace the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth being there. 

No, but its the line pedalled out by the media in england that these are big clubs, that forest are former european cup winners, they shouldn’t be down there. But no amount of silverware can count for your club being ran badly and thats why they clubs are where they are.

On 12/05/2018 at 02:41, 1320Lichtie said:

I think it’s just common sense...

Yes Lichtie, but there's a subtle difference between the above, which does indeed represent common sense and the stuff people are objecting to.

It's the Willie Miller type dismay and hurt when bigger clubs are overtaken by smaller ones; it's the Keith Jackson longing for every club to "punch at its weight" as if that's what makes football interesting; it's the stuff from Stephen Craigan and Simon Donnelly about how United "deserve" to be better placed, as if what we're seeing is an injustice.  

That's what pisses us off and that's the unsupportable shite that so often gets an uncritical airing in the media.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

There's also the fact that our former national team manager openly called for mechanisms to be put in place to keep clubs like Rangers/Hearts/Hibs/Dundee United in the top division. The impression you often get from the hacks is that they aren't chastising the management of clubs for being so incompetent, they're bemoaning the fact that relegation exists for these teams in the first place.

I genuinely think that some of them are only interested in hospitality, and the ego boost that comes from feeling that they're being paid to attend a big game like wot they have down in those proper leagues in England.