The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Tanner taking three guesses to subtract 52 from 64 and getting them all wrong just highlights how shoddy Sky's coverage of Scottish football is.

1 minute ago, smpar said:

Tanner taking three guesses to subtract 52 from 64 and getting them all wrong just highlights how shoddy Sky's coverage of Scottish football is.

You can imagine him sitting there, gears in his head whirring to work it out...

giphy.gif&key=f29519996581e4b3de547428a5

I do love that GIF :lol:

His maths teacher will be spewing 

I'd like to think he'd have been absolutely telt after it but I honestly don't think the bosses at Sky would have given a f**k if it wasn't for the attention it's got on Twitter.

18 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

His maths teacher will be spewing 

It's a very common occurrence nowadays, the education system should take a good look at itself and how it teaches basic numeracy to youngsters, kids shouldn't need to think about any multiplication involving any of the traditional tables, 8 8's should be as automatic as 1 add 1 IMHO.

I got a chance to watch the wee video from Tanner, and when he made his first mistake I was thinking "is that it?" especially after he corrected himself.

Then it got a lot worse, when he got the 12 points wrong once, twice, three times, then just decided "f**k it" and gave up.  I don't doubt that it was just one of those times where your brain freezes, and he's live on TV, but surely if you've been picked to go on live TV,  you could be charismatic enough to correct your mistake and/or laugh it off without seeming like a complete moron.

8 minutes ago, forameus said:

I got a chance to watch the wee video from Tanner, and when he made his first mistake I was thinking "is that it?" especially after he corrected himself.

Then it got a lot worse, when he got the 12 points wrong once, twice, three times, then just decided "f**k it" and gave up.  I don't doubt that it was just one of those times where your brain freezes, and he's live on TV, but surely if you've been picked to go on live TV,  you could be charismatic enough to correct your mistake and/or laugh it off without seeming like a complete moron.

Trouble with that is - he IS a complete moron - now fully exposed as such. Unless of course the shock of seeing that 12-point gap necessitates some stress counselling for the prat?

For those that maybe can't see the images without going on to Twitter Sky Sports included a guy/child who was the "Magners Part of the Squad" winner in the Celtic match selection last night...

5 minutes ago, lonewolfie said:

Trouble with that is - he IS a complete moron - now fully exposed as such. Unless of course the shock of seeing that 12-point gap necessitates some stress counselling for the prat?

Oh aye, that was pretty clear by the video.  Just more generally meaning that a competent presenter either wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place, or would use the charisma that you assume would be imperative for a role like that to dance his way around it.  Guy fucking crumbled.  He's hardly the best example, but can you imagine someone like Lineker reacting like that?  

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

It's a very common occurrence nowadays, the education system should take a good look at itself and how it teaches basic numeracy to youngsters, kids shouldn't need to think about any multiplication involving any of the traditional tables, 8 8's should be as automatic as 1 add 1 IMHO.

David Tanner is 45 years old, so I'm not sure a "kids nowadays" lecture is really appropriate here.

Maybe his earpiece was broken because the w****r can't cope without someone telling him in his ear what to say. He's a buffoon and this should come as absolutely no surprise to anyone. 

From the BBC Scotland website:

A family have cashed in a bet on Red Rum winning the Grand National 43 years ago - after discovering an unclaimed betting slip.

Bob Holmes found evidence of the £1 bet while going through his late father-in-law's paperwork.

Through a shop code, William Hill found that the bet had been placed at odds of 11-1, meaning a payout of £12.

But the firm decided to add inflation, making it £130. They also gave out £130 in bets and donated £130 to Water Aid.

Bob Holmes, 76, his wife Nancy, 75, and Nancy's sister, Rhoda Robertson, 79, all from Houston in Renfrewshire, are sharing the winnings and have each placed bets on Sunday's Grand National.

STV also appear to have taken David Tanner's word for it....

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha says he has been warned his side they will face a tough reception at Pittodrie.

The Light Blues boss says he knows Aberdeen, who are eight points ahead in the Premiership table, will test his side on Sunday.

3 hours ago, Dunty said:

STV also appear to have taken David Tanner's word for it....

Rangers manager Pedro Caixinha says he has been warned his side they will face a tough reception at Pittodrie.

The Light Blues boss says he knows Aberdeen, who are eight points ahead in the Premiership table, will test his side on Sunday.

Wow. 

Wishful thinking at its finest.