The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 hours ago, davidy233 said:

This from the Independent's Ian Herbert (Chief Sports Writer) is as bad as I've seen recently http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-scotland-fall-gordon-strachan-a7405356.html

Includes "St Johnstone were attracting 20,000 and Rangers well over 100,000 when Jim Baxter was doing his keepie-uppies during that extraordinary 1967 win at Wembley"

So close.  

Rangers averaged 28,573 that season.  St Johnstone 5006.

46 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

That's terrific entertainment.

Scotland didn't suddenly become shite when the ***s died. He's also forgotten that Rangers were a bunch of bottling shitebags when required to play at any level above SPL football with a single season exception.

I'd also like to point out that Boyd was benched for that European run.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 16:10, davidy233 said:

This from the Independent's Ian Herbert (Chief Sports Writer) is as bad as I've seen recently http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-vs-scotland-fall-gordon-strachan-a7405356.html

Includes "St Johnstone were attracting 20,000 and Rangers well over 100,000 when Jim Baxter was doing his keepie-uppies during that extraordinary 1967 win at Wembley"

That's brilliant. His internet must have been down when he penned it. A couple of inaccuracies so glaring that I think it might be trolling. It would take literally two seconds to find out that Rangers were in the CWC Final in 1967, not 1966, for example. Dundee United challenging for the title in the 60s? Shirley not.

1 hour ago, StandFree03 said:

I love this: 

"Scotland needed to have players at Rangers playing at the highest level."

What does that even mean? So much ***-slaver in that article.

They seem to have this bizarre belief Rangers were constantly in the CL Group Stages every season, and not being knocked out the Europa League Qualifiers by Lithuanian sides.

Just a wee historical reminder of Rangers' European performances...

2011-12: Put out of Champions League qualifying at the first hurdle by Malmo. A team with a fraction of their budget. Then put out of Europa League qualifying by Maribor, a team with a fraction of their budget.

2010-11: Qualified directly for the Champions League, finished 3rd in their group, beat Sporting Lisbon in R32 of the Europa League, put out by PSV in the next round. I seem to recall Maurice Edu being denied a blatant penalty at Ibrox. Probably the most successful European season for Scotland since 07-08 when Rangers were in the UEFA Cup final and Aberdeen qualified from their group.

2009-10: Beaten 4-1 by Romanians Unirea Urziceni (who no longer exist) at home in the CL groups. Finished with two points, no wins and a goal difference of -9 against very average Stuttgart and Sevilla teams.

2008-09: Beaten in the second stage of Champions League qualifying by an assortment of Kaunus players who weren't good enough to play for Hearts and didn't drop into UEFA Cup qualifying as a result.

Or if you prefer, a year by year account since the CL started (which as we all know led to Murray spunking money he didn't have which killed them):

92-93: Most successful season, almost made a final
93-94: Put out in the first round by Levski Sofia
94-95: Put out in the qualifying round by AEK Athens
95-96: Made it to the group stage, never won a game
96-97: Made it to the group stage, won one game against Grasshoppers
97-98: Put out in second qualifying round by Gothenburg. Went out of UEFA Cup first round to RC Strasbourg
98-99: UEFA Cup
99-00: Made it to CL group, beat PSV home and away. Put out UEFA Cup by Dortmund
00-01: Won two CL group games against Sturm Graz and Monaco, put out UEFA Cup by Kaiserslautern
01-02: Lost in CL third qualifying round against Fenerbache. Reasonable UEFA Cup run
02-03: Put out in first round of UEFA Cup by Viktoria Zizkov
03-04: Won one game in CL group.
04-05: Lost in CL third qualifying round against CSKA Moscow. Made it to group stage of UEFA Cup, failed to qualify despite three teams from five going through
05-06: Last 16 of the CL
06-07: R32 of the UEFA Cup, no CL (finished 3rd year before)
07-08: Finished 3rd in CL group, on to UEFA Cup final
08-09: Out in CL 2nd qualifying round
09-10: CL group, never won a game
10-11: 3rd in CL group, won one EL round
11-12: Lost both qualifiers in both competitions

So in 20 potential CL seasons we have (attempting to account for difference in format which I don't really get)

10 CL group stage appearances
- 2 qualifications to next stage of CL
- 4 qualifications to next stage of EL/UEFA Cup

Flying the flag, indeed. I presume Boyd talked at length about how he was never picked for European games because he didn't run.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez
"good enough to play for Hearts"

They seem to have this bizarre belief Rangers were constantly in the CL Group Stages every season, and not being knocked out the Europa League Qualifiers by Lithuanian sides.

I think it's something like one win in their last 25 European matches. No point in the Scottish press letting facts get in the way of their hard luck stories though.

Eta - beaten to the punch.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Just a wee historical reminder of Rangers' European performances...

2011-12: Put out of Champions League qualifying at the first hurdle by Malmo. A team with a fraction of their budget. Then put out of Europa League qualifying by Maribor, a team with a fraction of their budget.

2010-11: Qualified directly for the Champions League, finished 3rd in their group, beat Sporting Lisbon in R32 of the Europa League, put out by PSV in the next round. I seem to recall Maurice Edu being denied a blatant penalty at Ibrox. Probably the most successful European season for Scotland since 07-08 when Rangers were in the UEFA Cup final and Aberdeen qualified from their group.

2009-10: Beaten 4-1 by Romanians Unirea Urziceni (who no longer exist) at home in the CL groups. Finished with two points, no wins and a goal difference of -9 against very average Stuttgart and Sevilla teams.

2008-09: Beaten in the second stage of Champions League qualifying by an assortment of Kaunus players who weren't good enough o play by Hearts and didn't drop into UEFA Cup qualifying as a result.

Or if you prefer, a year by year account since the CL started (which as we all know led to Murray spunking money he didn't have which killed them):

92-93: Most successful season, almost made a final
93-94: Put out in the first round by Levski Sofia
94-95: Put out in the qualifying round by AEK Athens
95-96: Made it to the group stage, never won a game
96-97: Made it to the group stage, won one game against Grasshoppers
97-98: Put out in second qualifying round by Gothenburg. Went out of UEFA Cup first round to RC Strasbourg
98-99: UEFA Cup
99-00: Made it to CL group, beat PSV home and away. Put out UEFA Cup by Dortmund
00-01: Won two CL group games against Sturm Graz and Monaco, put out UEFA Cup by Kaiserslautern
01-02: Lost in CL third qualifying round against Fenerbache. Reasonable UEFA Cup run
02-03: Put out in first round of UEFA Cup by Viktoria Zizkov
03-04: Won one game in CL group.
04-05: Lost in CL third qualifying round against CSKA Moscow. Made it to group stage of UEFA Cup, failed to qualify despite three teams from five going through
05-06: Last 16 of the CL
06-07: R32 of the UEFA Cup, no CL (finished 3rd year before)
07-08: Finished 3rd in CL group, on to UEFA Cup final
08-09: Out in CL 2nd qualifying round
09-10: CL group, never won a game
10-11: 3rd in CL group, won one EL round
11-12: Lost both qualifiers in both competitions

So in 20 potential CL seasons we have (attempting to account for difference in format which I don't really get)

10 CL group stage appearances
- 2 qualifications to next stage of CL
- 4 qualifications to next stage of EL/UEFA Cup

Flying the flag, indeed. I presume Boyd talked at length about how he was never picked for European games because he didn't run.

WV20-Rangers-v-Hibs.jpg

Worth saying that we failed to qualify in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010 and 2012 - all while Rangers were in SPL.

Also worth noting:

- at WC 1998 there was only 1 Rangers players in the final squad (Durie)... Blackburn, Aberdeen and Celtic all had more
- at Euro '96 there were only 4 (McCall, McCoist, Goram, Durie)
- at Euro '92 there were only 4 (Goram, Gough, McCall, McCoist)... Dundee Utd had as many