Windows 10 upgrade

I've had windows 10 for ages but Microsoft decided to update it this morning without giving me the option to postpone it .... it took well over 2 hours :angry:

A quick Google search suggestes it's being forced on everyone eligeable.

C'nts.

Isn't it that it's now a "Recommended Update" and that it downloads automatically but you still have to manually choose to install it?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it that it's now a "Recommended Update" and that it downloads automatically but you still have to manually choose to install it?

I manually installed it a few months ago − yesterday I had a pop up inform me that my laptop would reboot at 10:18 and that I should save any work − the only options it gave me were "reboot now" or "ok".

The resulting reboot was more like the original install and it took well over two hours.

After two hours of downloading Windows 10 yesterday I'm currently in the process of reverting to Windows 8 (another two hours, no doubt). I don't think an OS has ever bothered me before but what an absolute piece of shit that is.

• 1 month later...

Wish I never upgraded now. Decided to upgrade to it on my laptop, after it finished I was having trackpad issues I didn't experience before on Windows 7. After trying out different tips and advice I decided to revert back to Windows 7

Now I'm stuck on the Startup Repair screen as Windows was "unable to start"

• 2 weeks later...

My Laptop keeps prompting me to upgrade to Windows 10 but i'm quite happy using Windows 7. Will it get to a point that the upgrade to W10 is forced up me?

No, and if you want to remove the Get Windows 10 nag, remove the kb3035583 update. Go into Progs and features and look it up under updates, then click remove.

Restart your machine and force it to look for updates, right click on it and hide it.

That should stop it, although they did an extra round of this update so may try a third!

• 3 months later...

When I went to install the Windows 10 free upgrade, from Windows 7, the installer stuck at 99% for about 10 hours.  This can be an issue on older PC's apparently.

The system then re-booted itself after downloading Windows 7 updates, it went back into Windows 7 desktop after a black screen for about 8 minutes.  Ran CCleaner a few times and all OK (back at Win 7).  I think I'll stay with Windows 7 for the time being seeing as it's supported for another 4 years, in fact may get a Solid State Drive and stick Windows 7 Pro on that.

Archived