Windows 10 upgrade

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And also have a read through this..... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/Default.aspx

Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive, or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our services by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device.

We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain services to your location.

The data we collect depends on the services and features you use, and includes the following.

Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.

Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access.

Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country and preferred language.

Interests and favorites. We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favorite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Payment data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.

Usage data. We collect data about how you interact with our services. This includes data, such as the features you use, the items you purchase, the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter. This also includes data about your device, including IP address, device identifiers, regional and language settings, and data about the network, operating system, browser or other software you use to connect to the services. And it also includes data about the performance of the services and any problems you experience with them.

Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a Microsoft service to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations.

Location data. We collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Position System (GPS) data, as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based services or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postal code level.

Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. This includes: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive. It also includes the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services, such as the:

• subject line and body of an email,
  • text or other content of an instant message,
  • audio and video recording of a video message, and
  • audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate.

Additionally, when you contact us, such as for customer support, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded. If you enter our retail stores, your image may be captured by our security cameras.

You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use some features or services.

Service-specific sections below describe additional data collection practices applicable to use of those services.

And also have a read through this..... http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/Default.aspx

Microsoft collects data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our services. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create a Microsoft account, submit a search query to Bing, speak a voice command to Cortana, upload a document to OneDrive, or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our services by, for example, using technologies like cookies, and receiving error reports or usage data from software running on your device.

We also obtain data from third parties (including other companies). For example, we supplement the data we collect by purchasing demographic data from other companies. We also use services from other companies to help us determine a location based on your IP address in order to customize certain services to your location.

The data we collect depends on the services and features you use, and includes the following.

Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.

Credentials. We collect passwords, password hints, and similar security information used for authentication and account access.

Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country and preferred language.

Interests and favorites. We collect data about your interests and favorites, such as the teams you follow in a sports app, the stocks you track in a finance app, or the favorite cities you add to a weather app. In addition to those you explicitly provide, your interests and favorites may also be inferred or derived from other data we collect.

Payment data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.

Usage data. We collect data about how you interact with our services. This includes data, such as the features you use, the items you purchase, the web pages you visit, and the search terms you enter. This also includes data about your device, including IP address, device identifiers, regional and language settings, and data about the network, operating system, browser or other software you use to connect to the services. And it also includes data about the performance of the services and any problems you experience with them.

Contacts and relationships. We collect data about your contacts and relationships if you use a Microsoft service to manage contacts, or to communicate or interact with other people or organizations.

Location data. We collect data about your location, which can be either precise or imprecise. Precise location data can be Global Position System (GPS) data, as well as data identifying nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots, we collect when you enable location-based services or features. Imprecise location data includes, for example, a location derived from your IP address or data that indicates where you are located with less precision, such as at a city or postal code level.

Content. We collect content of your files and communications when necessary to provide you with the services you use. This includes: the content of your documents, photos, music or video you upload to a Microsoft service such as OneDrive. It also includes the content of your communications sent or received using Microsoft services, such as the:

• subject line and body of an email,
  • text or other content of an instant message,
  • audio and video recording of a video message, and
  • audio recording and transcript of a voice message you receive or a text message you dictate.

Additionally, when you contact us, such as for customer support, phone conversations or chat sessions with our representatives may be monitored and recorded. If you enter our retail stores, your image may be captured by our security cameras.

You have choices about the data we collect. When you are asked to provide personal data, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide data that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use some features or services.

Service-specific sections below describe additional data collection practices applicable to use of those services.

arrow_px_up.gif?version=46e43424-eb4a-a9Top of page

View Summary

Least they are open and honest about it....

Bit off topic, but I've started getting emails from Dropbox with old pictures I took years ago. I closed my account down at least a couple of years ago. Bit worried that daft drunken photos are still out there, seems I have to sign up again to try to delete them if that's even possible. Doubt there's anything too incriminating, but still..

Bit off topic, but I've started getting emails from Dropbox with old pictures I took years ago. I closed my account down at least a couple of years ago. Bit worried that daft drunken photos are still out there, seems I have to sign up again to try to delete them if that's even possible. Doubt there's anything too incriminating, but still..

http://lifehacker.com/5794792/how-to-permanently-delete-old-files-from-dropbox

Have a read and see if that will help.

I upgraded my laptop and it was a shambles, the using the touchpad was like scrolling through quicksand and would be unresponsive for seconds at a time. The new PC settings thing was totally broken, categories wouldn't load and some settings were unavailable like setting up a new user.

I rolled back to Windows 7 which was a pain free experience, everything is back in working order. I'm going to give it at least a month for all the driver issues and Windows Update bugs to get figured out. There wasn't anything I need in Windows 10 right now so I am not in any hurry to force the upgrade to work.

Kicked off last night, this has been going for 24 hours now...

attachicon.gifno10.JPG

Yep, I just upgraded mine, I had to download the Win 10 media creation tool and upgrade from there as the Automatic update upgrade kept failing. The download for win 10 took about 4 hours then the instalation took over 12 hours!! The wierd thing was i upgraded my sons pc the night before. I did the cmd line promt which started the win 10 download through the automatic updates and he was up and running with win 10 in 2 hours. I had genuine win 7 and his was pirated wasnt genuine.

Did a clean install this afternoon. It is amazing the amount of shite that builds up in your AppData folder for example. It was really quick to install though. It probably took longer to download and set up the USB stick to do the installation.

Only issue I've had is that my copy of Windows won't activate at the moment. Apparently this is a known issue with the authetication servers being overworked and it should resolve itself in the next day or two at worst.

I take it you mean you clicked the icon to "reserve" a copy? Same here. It started a few minutes later on my tablet but the PC hadnt started when I went to bed

ETA - you can download it direct from the microsoft site here clicky

That deserves a Charles; I'd been wondering for a while if they were going to allow downloads of the installation media.

• 2 weeks later...

From another site.

When you installed Windows 10 you doubtless agreed to its terms and conditions during installation. After all, Microsoft’s new service agreement is over 10,000 words long - who’s going to read that? Anyway, you can trust Microsoft can’t you? They wouldn’t spy on you… Or would they.

Well the Ts & Cs clearly state that Windows 10 will invade your privacy. For example

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

Yes you read it correctly, they can read and record everything on your PC and share it with whoever they like.

Windows also generates a unique advertising ID for each user which can be used by third parties, for profiling purposes. Does this remind you of anything, spyware maybe?

Microsoft’s personal assistant software “Cortana” collects and uses your location, content from your emails and text messages, events from your calendar, your contacts and how often you call them. When you browse it reports back what you view and what you purchase. Big brother also records and analyses speech input.

You can switch this off. For those that know what they are doing, all these settings can be disabled but it’s quite hard to find and do. There is a utility that will do it for you http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10, download and run - problem sorted.

From another site.

When you installed Windows 10 you doubtless agreed to its terms and conditions during installation. After all, Microsoft’s new service agreement is over 10,000 words long - who’s going to read that? Anyway, you can trust Microsoft can’t you? They wouldn’t spy on you… Or would they.

Well the Ts & Cs clearly state that Windows 10 will invade your privacy. For example

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.”

Yes you read it correctly, they can read and record everything on your PC and share it with whoever they like.

Windows also generates a unique advertising ID for each user which can be used by third parties, for profiling purposes. Does this remind you of anything, spyware maybe?

Microsoft’s personal assistant software “Cortana” collects and uses your location, content from your emails and text messages, events from your calendar, your contacts and how often you call them. When you browse it reports back what you view and what you purchase. Big brother also records and analyses speech input.

You can switch this off. For those that know what they are doing, all these settings can be disabled but it’s quite hard to find and do. There is a utility that will do it for you http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10, download and run - problem sorted.

This was all posted a while back - although the utility is really handy :)

I rolled back to windows 7 when I read that W10 would automatically disable cracked software ... not that I have any of course, its the principal :whistle

From another site.

That's worth a Charles too.

Apparently, even if you have a fully legit copy of Windows 10, it'll also keep track of the programs you install and disable pirated software. Which, erm, may be a problem for some people :unsure:

Presumably this will be something that other companies will have to pay for, rather than a great act of charity bestowed upon fellow developers :P

Edit: sorry, missed Mr X's entirely innocent post on the same topic :P

Archived