Windows 10 upgrade

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That wifi sharing is one of the dumbest things ive ever seen . Really, why would I want strangers gaing automatic access to my wifi and then they can share the password for all c***s plus then im trusting Microsoft with my password!?

That will be getting switched off immediatley and noone who enter my house with a windows 10 pc will be getting my wifi until its off on theirs.

already a feature of windows phones.

its quite smart - your password is shared via your mobiles and they gain access to the wifi but cant see password (unless you go into the router and work it out / its out in the open)

but I have yet to test if it allows me to open the router settings on a shared connection as my phone usually is the sharing phone.

I had a few failed updates noted in windows updater so had to follow the instructions and force manual updating. I also ran a disk cleanup utility from the window updater troubleshooting page and had to turn off Mcafee firewall too, not sure which worked but it installed after that.

I'm in the process of creating a bootable usb at the minute just in case it all goes pete tong down the line.

Quite liking it so far.

I take it you mean you clicked the icon to "reserve" a copy? Same here. It started a few minutes later on my tablet but the PC hadnt started when I went to bed

ETA - you can download it direct from the microsoft site here clicky

I "reserved" my copy as soon as that icon appeared a few weeks ago. It now just says it'll tell me when its ready to install. Hopefully it'll kick off this evening otherwise I'll look into the download from the Microsoft site.

I "reserved" my copy as soon as that icon appeared a few weeks ago. It now just says it'll tell me when its ready to install. Hopefully it'll kick off this evening otherwise I'll look into the download from the Microsoft site.

Thats what I did.

This post has been brought to you by Windows 10

Thats what I did.

This post has been brought to you by Windows 10

Came home and noticed there was a failed update at 6:16am for Windows 10. PC said it needed to be restarted for a pending update and another failed update appeared. Quick Google took me to a post on the Microsoft forums - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-failed-to-install-error-code-80240020/9d69a99b-1851-4464-b10b-e69946993e78?auth=1

Deleted the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\, ran the command wuauclt.exe /updatenow and then launched Windows Update. It is downloading right now. Hopefully this time it succeeds.

Finally installed. The download was running incredibly slowly until I accidentally blocked the process doing the download in my firewall and when I unblocked it suddenly the speed shot up.

After the install completed and Windows started up I couldn't get the start menu to respond. I launched a few things like Firefox and Thunderbird but they weren't responding after they launched. I restarted the PC about 3 times and it is now behaving itself. Either that solved whatever the issue was or it just finished whatever background tasks it was up to.

This is my desktop in full Windows 10 glory...

11807560_1080214241989037_54977428874466

Came home and noticed there was a failed update at 6:16am for Windows 10. PC said it needed to be restarted for a pending update and another failed update appeared. Quick Google took me to a post on the Microsoft forums - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-failed-to-install-error-code-80240020/9d69a99b-1851-4464-b10b-e69946993e78?auth=1

Deleted the contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\, ran the command wuauclt.exe /updatenow and then launched Windows Update. It is downloading right now. Hopefully this time it succeeds.

I read somewhere that that command does absolutely nothing. Anyone reporting it as working just happened to run it at the same time MS made the download available to them.

I did mine manually last night, which was a lot easier than faffing around trying to get the auto one to start. First impressions are that its ok, nothing more really

The main issue was that it didnt install any NVIDIA drivers, so I had to go do that manually. Then after I unlocked the PC later on it had reverted to basic VGA drivers. If that keeps happening I'll be rolling back!

I keep getting black screen when I put the power in but when I take the cable out the screen comes back to life. But if I HDMI to my TV it works fine. Hmm is this 10 or just laptop

I read somewhere that that command does absolutely nothing. Anyone reporting it as working just happened to run it at the same time MS made the download available to them.

I did mine manually last night, which was a lot easier than faffing around trying to get the auto one to start. First impressions are that its ok, nothing more really

The main issue was that it didnt install any NVIDIA drivers, so I had to go do that manually. Then after I unlocked the PC later on it had reverted to basic VGA drivers. If that keeps happening I'll be rolling back!

Still had the VGA driver when I booted up tonight. The NVIDIA installer wouldnt run. Kept erroring saying "the installer is already running"!

To fix this, I had to go into task manager, kill all the NVIDIA stuff running and then run the install again

Better not happen again <_<

I like the multiple desktops, but I wish there was a way to access them with single click, rather than having to click on the Task View icon first, or use keyboard shortcuts

anyone viewing using edge yet ? im not too keen on i as i was explorer for windows 8 (not 8.1)

its quick, its nice but I cant hide the top bar (yet)

coincidentally, I can uninstall and replace a washing machine in the time it takes to install windows 10.

oooh it seems that spellcheck has made it to Edge.

Archived