Windows 10 upgrade

Anyone running Windows 7 or 8 and have a 'free' reserved copy of Windows 10 ready to install from Microsoft on 29 July?

Is it worth going for this freebie or stick with what you have? Not sure all my programs will be compatible.

Cheers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can 'roll back' to your existing Windows after installing Windows 10 according to this:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/should-i-upgrade-windows-10-3618139/

I would imagine this would probably be more Windows 7 users than Windows 8.

NB: you can cancel your free Windows 10 upgrade by right clicking the black and white windows icon in the taskbar then select 'check your upgrade status'

I think you have a year to install from 29 July (i.e. it will not install automatically?)

I would give it a couple of months to iron out any issues and let third party manufacturers update programs, drivers etc

Yeah the sensible approach.

This is Microsoft getting fucking lazy as fcuk. Instead of selling the finished article they have now decided to put it to the public to help iron out all the flaws before releasing it to the public at large.

Those who run a number of programs that need drivers left, right & Centre should avoid Windows 10 until it has been in circulation for months on end for manufacturers to solve their driver issues first. Those who get swept up in the moment because it is free might end getting frustrated and very angry should their PC/Laptop not work properly because of driver issues.

Personally I may give it a complete miss as I use Windows 7 Professional that has XP Pro built in because I still use a lot of XP programs I paid good money for. I will do some research to see if Windows 10 will remove the inbuilt XP OS and if it has been removed then it's no good for me.

Just be careful though it may have serious security issues they overlooked that hackers may find quickly ???

I may make a cloned HDD and upgrade that to Windows 10 eventually as a dual boot.

Been running the beta for this for ages. Stable as a rock , just updated to RTM and not seen any issues at all with any drivers. Most hardware vendors already updated to win10.

Overall impressed so far

• 2 weeks later...

That wifi sharing is one of the dumbest things ive ever seen . Really, why would I want strangers gaing automatic access to my wifi and then they can share the password for all c***s plus then im trusting Microsoft with my password!?

That will be getting switched off immediatley and noone who enter my house with a windows 10 pc will be getting my wifi until its off on theirs.

That wifi sharing is one of the dumbest things ive ever seen . Really, why would I want strangers gaing automatic access to my wifi and then they can share the password for all c***s plus then im trusting Microsoft with my password!?

That will be getting switched off immediatley and noone who enter my house with a windows 10 pc will be getting my wifi until its off on theirs.

In theory, its not a bad idea. From what Ive read, if you share it then they can access your wifi without ever knowing the password or being able to share it on with anyone else. However, if you give it to them to manually type in they can share it with who they like!

In practice, its bound to be full of holes and no-one in their right mind is going to trust MS with this kind of info!

In theory, its not a bad idea. From what Ive read, if you share it then they can access your wifi without ever knowing the password or being able to share it on with anyone else. However, if you give it to them to manually type in they can share it with who they like!

In practice, its bound to be full of holes and no-one in their right mind is going to trust MS with this kind of info!

Never mind that, how's your fish going? ;)

I got mine first thing this morning, clicked on the wee windows symbol on thr notification bar and 10 was up and running in no time at all. Thank f**k those stupid charm bars are gone! Start menu useful again. Not used Edge or Cortana properly but seems pretty slick

Windows phones too I presume

Took about 2 and a half hours in all. You get to refuse options like wifi sharing if you avoid the express set up, doesn't take long. Seems ok, just had to restart to find the pointer and it's not scrolling properly but hopefully I can sort that. Will update if I find any more glitches, but it's all a bit underwhelming so far.

Archived