Did he know about the child abuse at Celtic's boy's club? Of course he did. This has been referenced too often by too many people for it to be even a question.

There have been a few folk at Celtic who have said Jock was aware of what had happened, but at the same time Alan Brazil, one of the victims, has stated that Stein did not know exactly what was happening. Certainly there were some at Celtic who did(I've read recently that the Kelly family had business links to Torbett, which is how he ended up back involved with the club) and they can have no excuse whatsoever for attempting to cover it up.

My take on it, from everything I have read, is that Stein had heard the rumours and told the guy to leave. Based on when Stein got rid of him, I'm not sure how much more could/would have been done if the police had been contacted, probably just a kicking for the guy and a warning to behave himself. Maybe nothing depending on who at the force got wind of it, not as if they took that sort of thing as seriously then as they do now.

Did Stein know? You can't say for certain as there are conflicting stories from folk involved. Are the folk who go on about it out of order? Clearly.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what ive read and heard about the time in question, Stein had heard unconfirmed rumours that Torbett was up to no good and warned him off and he was subsequently chased from Celtic Boys Club

A few years after Jock had left the club he weasled his way back onto the scene, partly due to some links and friendship with a couple of board members.

An abhorrent set of incidents which sadly were not dealt with properly by certain individuals at the club at the time, not Jock Stein however by all accounts.

Fair play to Kincardine for decrying the morons in the support at Ibrox who frankly, use this as a point scoring exercise, almost celebrating an incident of child abuse purely because it was connected to a football club they hate.

Several posters on here clearly think it is fair game and relevant to use it to have a dig at Celtic with (hiya forever blue) I assume they are similarly strong voiced on the systematic child abuse by Asians in Rotherham, the peadophile ring in Westminster connected to the Elm Guest house and several celebrities in the 70's/80's or they not have any songs about them?

I'm skating on thin ice here but I'll have a go at this. I'll do a brain dump on what I think of the whole BJK thing and, if I get banned, expect me back as the_the_kincardine or a similar stealthy moniker ;)

I agree wholeheartedly with all that you said about making fun of child abuse. I deprecate any of my fellow-Bears referring to Celtic as Paedo FC and all of the other pathetic insults that are used. They are out of order and we, as a support, should be better than that.

BJK chants make us look like utter morons.

Big Jock was an exceptional manager. The best since Struth? Quite possibly. As an aside, when I was in The BB in Motherwell in the 1960s we were treated to a viewing of Celtic's Lisbon triumph on 16mm film and all regarded it as an heroic moment for Scotland.

John Stein should also be credited with making every effort to try and help the folk who were injured at Ibrox in 1971. He didn't have to get involved but he acquitted himself with class and dignity.

Did he know about the child abuse at Celtic's boy's club? Of course he did. This has been referenced too often by too many people for it to be even a question.

Should we Rangers fans make capital out of it? Absolutely not. I often read something like, "Well, they deny everything". So what? We all have to live with our own consciences.

I can think of hunners of things to despise the Grey and Green Hordes for. BJK jibes would be last on my list. There is a concomitant, though. If some sadsack says, "Big Jock Knew" then the answer should be, "Yes, he did".

I dont think you can say he knew whatcwas going on, nobody knows for sure , he sacked a guy because of rumours thats all we know.

Theres plenty of rumours about a certain ex Rangers Captain and a certain ex Coach you dont hear songs or constant references to them...

I dont think you can say he knew whatcwas going on, nobody knows for sure , he sacked a guy because of rumours thats all we know. Theres plenty of rumours about a certain ex Rangers Captain and a certain ex Coach you dont hear songs or constant references to them...

Is there a difference between someone mentioning it on a football forum and someone mentioning it by the medium of song?

Wimbledon 2015 / Team GB silver medalist/ Rangers fan / Child Abuse

There's no understanding the logic in it, at all. Just another stupid comment from a high profile Rangers fan.

This kind of stuff isn't offensive me, but I can imagine it would be to some, especially to the family of Jock Stein.

Oh my what a shocking subject to use for point scoring lantern.I'm sure the sellick fans will be quick to condem him.

Well to be fair a large section of your support, including some on here, not you to be fair though have been doing so for years so is it any great surprise even most non Celtic fans find it repulsive?

Well to be fair a large section of your support, including some on here, not you to be fair though have been doing so for years so is it any great surprise even most non Celtic fans find it repulsive?
You started a thread about it, think about it weety.

Archived