New build houses

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya big jessie.

Haha yip. Im used to the more tropical central belt. However, I have been using my bbq most nights even with bad weather so i can reclaim some man points in that respect

Having shifted about in various renting/paying mortgage at exes and such, moving into my first flat that I've owned on Friday. Tenement in shawlands and I couldn't actually be more excited about it if I was trying.

Signing off on everything on Wednesday, got a pal with a van helping me out on Friday shifting stuff from across Lanarkshire. Just need to buy a sofa from somewhere now.

Anyone got sofa suggestions? Greenie to the first c**t saying 'dfs have a sale on'.

Anyone got sofa suggestions? Greenie to the first c**t saying 'dfs have a sale on'.

For me, buying the sofa was the biggest pain in the arse of the whole mortgage-viewing-bidding-buying-furnishing process. I must have been dragged to every furnishing shop within 50 miles of home until we found one which pleased both me and the other half. We went for the easy clean leather option in the end btw (and still delighted we did).

Might be better going second-hand sofa-wise if it's your first flat - I'm not talking some old dear's from a house clearance shop, but one of the ones advertised in the snips in the Evening Times. If you're lucky you'll pick a decent one a couple of years old up from some more-cash-than-sense type that's getting rid of it because it doesn't match their new cat, and for a couple of hundred notes tops rather than what the likes of DFS are selling them for, sale or not

Chances are you're only going to soak the thing in curry sauce, lager and bodily fluids anyway.

When I was house hunting, all the new builds seemed to be roughly the same (or higher) price as the older builds but with the older having the same number of bedrooms (but larger) and being much more solidly built. Therefore I can only disagree.

The title of the topic is new build houses, not new build vs existing.

Therefore my comment still stands.

The title of the topic is new build houses, not new build vs existing.

Therefore my comment still stands.

Eh? So taking older houses out of the discussion, was your point saying that the rarer good and solid e.g. 3 bedroom new builds are somehow notably more expensive than the new 'up in a fortnight' 3 bedroom types? (in which case I'm not convinced they are).

Eh? So taking older houses out of the discussion, was your point saying that the rarer good and solid e.g. 3 bedroom new builds are somehow notably more expensive than the new 'up in a fortnight' 3 bedroom types? (in which case I'm not convinced they are).

From personal experience (albeit 10 years ago now) yes there was a noticeable difference.

We lived in a detached new build Barratt at the time and it was everything that people talk about on here, we had a look at moving and compared most of the builders out there and there were distinct differences in build quality as you moved up through the price points.

Obviously in a different country now and we're looking at building our next house, it's a much more bespoke process here in the main and you can go down the level of detail of wall thickness etc. Almost everything here though is detached on a bigger piece of land compared to Scotland.

We've been in a new build for around 7 years and have had nowhere near the bother that I had in my old flat which was a big stone built building.

Wouldn't even contemplate an older building now with their solitary bathroom, damp issues, decrepit old pipework and shitty wiring.

Having shifted about in various renting/paying mortgage at exes and such, moving into my first flat that I've owned on Friday. Tenement in shawlands and I couldn't actually be more excited about it if I was trying.

Signing off on everything on Wednesday, got a pal with a van helping me out on Friday shifting stuff from across Lanarkshire. Just need to buy a sofa from somewhere now.

Get on Gumtree, I got a sofa and 2 armchairs for around £300 including man with a van. Still look dece 4 years on. Southside ftw.

Get on Gumtree, I got a sofa and 2 armchairs for around £300 including man with a van. Still look dece 4 years on. Southside ftw.

I think this is looking the likely outcome, aye. My brother in law is aff to the magpie's eye for me this afternoon to pick up an armchair for £8, which seems entirely reasonable, so ill keep an eye on gumtree.

Cheers pals.

Archived