New build houses

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main problem with new builds is that the walls are usually made of paper and it can be a fucking pain sharing with others.

If it's just for you and the wife that works but if you're planning to rent out a room, you will end up fantasising about murdering that person and vice-versa.

Don't let any showrooms fool you in to thinking the house is bigger than what it actually is. Get accurate measurements of every room and compare with what you currently have or other potential houses.

Yeah, the walls are thin so buy a detached house if you don't like your next door neighbours' noise. You'll have an extensive list of issues ('snagging') that needs to get sorted out in the first year or two after you move in. If you're lucky, I like my wife and I were, there'll be nothing major, but I have heard of boilers flooding garages, roof tiles falling off, that sort of thing.

Another thing if you're buying off plan is you'll have very little idea of the size of the garden. The first time we went into our house we looked through the back room into the garden and the hedge at the back was so close we genuinely thought we didn't have a garden at all.

On the plus side it should be cheap to heat as the insulation is so good and there's a good chance of becoming friendly with the neighbours as everyone is in the same boat.

Take ages and be really fussy with your snag list. If possible get someone in the building trade to walk round with you. Make sure the wife is there too, otherwise you'll get stuck with loads of annoying wee jobs to do that you won't get round to and she'll nag you till you murder her and you'll need to lay a new patio on top of everything else that you missed.

P.S. After seeing Gnash's post I should point out that the point of the snag list is to get the builders to do all the jobs for free before you hand over the purchase price.

Try to have a look at a finished, furnished house in the style that you want before buying off a plan. A lot of new builds look great on paper but nine out of ten often seem to have pretty small bedrooms. I bought one once that you had to move sideways to get past the end of a double bed. Personally I reckon you would be better going for an old council house as they are usually solid walled inside and much bigger in general.

Show houses tend to have smaller furniture, 3/4 size beds etc to make them look bigger.

Be fucking ruthless with the snagging lost and make sure you get absolutely everything you can out the company. Ours was pretty much unfinished and they fucked us about a bit, we ended up getting a patio off them, and 2 years later they will still fix any problems we have gratis just because the burd was such a nippy bitch to them about the problems.

I think we also got someone the sack too. #unlucks for them tbh

Try to have a look at a finished, furnished house in the style that you want before buying off a plan. A lot of new builds look great on paper but nine out of ten often seem to have pretty small bedrooms. I bought one once that you had to move sideways to get past the end of a double bed. Personally I reckon you would be better going for an old council house as they are usually solid walled inside and much bigger in general.

This is what I want, but seeing the wife has my nuts in her purse and quite frankly, I want a quiet life....

The part exchange also takes the hassle out of it all.

Get a valuation from an estate agent on your house before getting involved in part exchange. The builders wouldn't offer this if they weren't going to make money out of it so better to find out what you can get on the open market before you start negotiating.

Get on zoopla and find out how much other new builds in the street went for if poss, and haggle like f**k if you're able to buy it without and sweetners from them while you're at it

Where about you looking to buy? Me and the Mrs bought a new one last year as we could get more for our money on help to buy. Our flat is the exact same as the show home and in very good nick. If you buy new you will get guarantee for maybe five years and snagging should be easy unless you have bought after the entire phases are complete. We always had builders nearby so could phone up no bother for snagging and there wasn't very much wrong. Also the flats very well insulated as are all new builds

haggle like f**k if you're able to buy it without and sweetners from them while you're at it

Yes, good point. We haggled and got £7k off the price, flooring throughout the house and a few other extras. I don't know many others in our estate haggled, but very few paid less than the asking price. That might be more difficult now the market has picked up though.

This sounds stupid but:

If it's a completely new housing estate, find out what your postcode will be at the earliest opportunity. My sister moved into her new build almost a week after she should have because the completion was held up when the solicitor/bank/vendor (no one's actually owning up and taking responsibility for the f**k up) made up a postcode and never updated it when it was finalised.

This sounds stupid but:

If it's a completely new housing estate, find out what your postcode will be at the earliest opportunity. My sister moved into her new build almost a week after she should have because the completion was held up when the solicitor/bank/vendor (no one's actually owning up and taking responsibility for the f**k up) made up a postcode and never updated it when it was finalised.

This was like a problem for us, we moved here and google maps hadn't recognised the postcode and every single delivery we had was a farce, every single time we had to phone the drives up to say where to come and when we moved in some mail kept coming to the flat despite the names being all over the place. It was actually a farce for nearly a year

New builds are a pile of shite. IMO. Better off going for a Victorian property. That is built correctly and has a bit of character.

Old places have a lot of character but quite often high ceilings, poor services and single glazed windows and are prone to mouse attacks!

This sounds stupid but:

Yep. This causes the delivery drivers at my work no end of problems when going to new build sites as well. The building companies always provide contacts for site agents, but they can never find them or they don't answer their phones.

Archived