Ranger's First team

With the new season only a couple of weeks away and teams starting to put together what they suspect their best 11 or starting line up would be and what they can realistically expect their team to achieve in the season, I'm interested to see how Ranger's fans see their team lining up on opening day of the season and what they think the team can achieve.

Looking at the guys that have left over the summer is seems that there has been a bit of a exodus of experienced players from the team and was struggling to put together what you are likely to look like next season.

Was wondering that myself as we play them in the cup in a few weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised if the starting line-up for that match is something along the lines of....

Bell

McGregor, Wilson, Kiernan, Wallace

Walsh, Law, Murdoch, Templeton

Miller

Clark

That's a fairly strong team and I would be confident of them winning the Championship. The problem though is the lack of numbers. If any of those players get sidelined there's not many adequate replacements which could result in Rangers dropping points. New signings will arrive however, I've no doubt about that. Maybe not in time for the first few games but by the end of August they'll have the squad better equipped for the long season ahead.

In terms of fan expectations, my own expectation is to win the league. And if Celtic get dumped out of a cup and Rangers don't go on and win the tournament then, well, that surely has to be a brilliant opportunity to win a trophy missed. That's obviously in the "bonus" section of the goals Rangers should have this season, but still. :)

I am not sure Bell will be first choice.

Me neither. Same goes for Templeton.

It was more a case of proving Rangers will have a team capable of competing at the start of the season. There seems to be a common misconception that, due to the amount of players who left, Rangers only have a few weeks to put a first team together.

If we can't bring in anymore players then the club should come out and say so, most fans would accept that. Just don't try and paint an everything's great picture.

I wouldn't mind another few players, especially a striker but we need to hit the ground running this season.

Rangers will be using a 4-3-3 formation for every team from grassroots right up to the first team. A decision supposedly made by Mark Warburton to ensure all emerging players are used to playing that particular formation.

Well, that should lead to quite a few entertaining Rangers matches next season but he's going to need to sign another two or three centre forwards!

There is only one centre forward in a 4-3-3 so why would he need another 3?

My mistake, you're absolutely right.

I'm so used to my preferred 4-4-2 formation in football video games that I've got into the habit of referring to strikers as left and right centre forwards :)

My mistake, you're absolutely right.

I'm so used to my preferred 4-4-2 formation in football video games that I've got into the habit of referring to strikers as left and right centre forwards :)

^^^

Wee Stevie in IT. :lol:

There is only one centre forward in a 4-3-3 so why would he need another 3?

Not necessarily. In the modern 4-3-3, the front 3 are expected to be able to play anywhere across the front. with the centre forward able to move onto a wing for any length of time, even into the attacking midfielder role.

Last season our front 4 of Lawless, Higginbotham, Doolan and Stevenson were able to change with ease.

Not necessarily. In the modern 4-3-3, the front 3 are expected to be able to play anywhere across the front. with the centre forward able to move onto a wing for any length of time, even into the attacking midfielder role.

Last season our front 4 of Lawless, Higginbotham, Doolan and Stevenson were able to change with ease.

A 4-3-3 formation is possibly the most adaptable formation I've seen.

All out attack with 3 hard working strikers up front with a strong quality 3 in mid field.

Attack formation with two attacking wingers going out wide to cross into the box and taking out defenders with runs finding the striker in the box.

Neutral formation two wide wingers working with the mid field to open up the defence with a killer pass or to neutralise any better opposition than they are when not in possession.

Defensive formation with two wing backs working with a defensive mid field to snuff out a superior opposition and hope for a quick counter if available for the lone striker.

A 4-3-3 can also be changed into other formations very quickly for possession of the ball and defending without the ball, 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1 or 6-3-1 or 4-2-3-1 or gung ho 2-5-3 or 2-3-5.

I wouldn't be surprised if the starting line-up for that match is something along the lines of....

Bell

McGregor, Wilson, Kiernan, Wallace

Walsh, Law, Murdoch, Templeton

Miller

Clark

That's a fairly strong team and I would be confident of them winning the Championship.

:lol:

That team would have you nowhere near winning the league.

Archived