Mis matched pre-season friendlys

Before the Brunei Super League was put on hold due to the 'rona Brunei DPMM put up 16-1, 15-0, 13-0, 2-0, 8-0 & 2-0 in their 1st six games. Thats 56 scored & 1 conceded.

For a bit of context DPMM have since 2005 played in other way stronger leagues in the region. Spent their 1st three seasons in Malaysia & until 2020 Singapore. Won the league twice in Singapore with two runners up placing plus the Singapore Cup & Singapore League Cup 3 times.

By far the biggest club in the country with the biggest budget & the only fully professional team. Managed currently by Adrian Pennock formerly of Forset Green, Gillingham & Barrow.

Suspect next year they'll be back in Singapore & field their 2nd xi in the Brunei league as they did in 2019.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/08/2021 at 22:36, GNU_Linux said:

Before the Brunei Super League was put on hold due to the 'rona Brunei DPMM put up 16-1, 15-0, 13-0, 2-0, 8-0 & 2-0 in their 1st six games. Thats 56 scored & 1 conceded.

For a bit of context DPMM have since 2005 played in other way stronger leagues in the region. Spent their 1st three seasons in Malaysia & until 2020 Singapore. Won the league twice in Singapore with two runners up placing plus the Singapore Cup & Singapore League Cup 3 times.

By far the biggest club in the country with the biggest budget & the only fully professional team. Managed currently by Adrian Pennock formerly of Forset Green, Gillingham & Barrow.

Suspect next year they'll be back in Singapore & field their 2nd xi in the Brunei league as they did in 2019.

I suppose this would be a bit like if Cardiff or Swansea were forced to play in the Welsh league this season.

On 06/09/2021 at 15:57, craigkillie said:

I suppose this would be a bit like if Cardiff or Swansea were forced to play in the Welsh league this season.

Hopefully they will be one day.

There should be a choice, if you want a national team then all your club sides should play in your national league. No exceptions.

2 hours ago, realmadrid said:

There should be a choice, if you want a national team then all your club sides should play in your national league. No exceptions.

So as long as Berwick play in Scotland England can't have a national team? Sounds like a plan.

Seriously, talk about turning the clock back. It'll never happen. The future will see the complete opposite with cross border leagues just a matter of when not if.

4 hours ago, realmadrid said:

I agree with this. UEFA should have stood their ground with the "Irate Eight" back in 1992.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party but closer to home last month in the North Regional Cup Stonehaven beat New Elgin 20-0 which to the best of my knowledge is the highest score in Scottish football (excluding amateur) since Stirling Albion hit Selkirk for the same score in the 84/85 Scottish Cup.

image.png.b8170913bcc3643b97f9c428ba493453.png

As a random interesting side note the same day in the same competition Banks O'Dee beat Islavale 15-0. The previous non-league score that comes even close to Stonehaven's is Lesmahagow's 18-0 over Ardeer Thistle in a league game in the now defunct SJFA West Region League Two back in 2018.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Late to the party but closer to home last month in the North Regional Cup Stonehaven beat New Elgin 20-0 which to the best of my knowledge is the highest score in Scottish football (excluding amateur) since Stirling Albion hit Selkirk for the same score in the 84/85 Scottish Cup.

As a random interesting side note the same day in the same competition Banks O'Dee beat Islavale 15-0. The previous non-league score that comes even close to Stonehaven's is Lesmahagow's 18-0 over Ardeer Thistle in a league game in the now defunct SJFA West Region League Two back in 2018.
I'm glad that Lesmahagow victory margin has now been bettered.

Incidentally, Ardeer started that match with only ten men. If I hadn't missed my bus that day, I'd have kitted up and played, which would have been some sight!

19 hours ago, Markka said:

I'm glad that Lesmahagow victory margin has now been bettered.

Incidentally, Ardeer started that match with only ten men. If I hadn't missed my bus that day, I'd have kitted up and played, which would have been some sight!

It'd probably have been more than 18.

On 08/09/2021 at 16:41, craigkillie said:

I agree with this. UEFA should have stood their ground with the "Irate Eight" back in 1992.

Mad times..

WHEN news broke in October 1991 that the Football Association of Wales was to create a new League of Wales, it was not greeted with universal acclaim by the Principality's football clubs.
The FAW announced that it would withdraw a sanction for all the Welsh non-league clubs that were playing in the English pyramid.
Bangor City, Barry Town, Caernarfon Town, Colwyn Bay, Merthyr Tydfil, Newport AFC, Newtown and Rhyl argued the case for their right to play where they wished.
An appeal was heard by the FAW and all the clubs - with the exception of Merthyr Tydfil - were told that they must return to the Welsh system.
Bangor and Newtown joined the new set-up, but Rhyl were too late with their application and played season 1992/3 in the Cymru Alliance.
But several clubs defied the FAW which resulted in them being forced to play their games on English grounds.
Barry Town, who went on to win the Welsh Premier title seven times, shared the ground of Worcester FC for one season, before deciding to return to Wales. They spent the 1993/4 season in the Welsh Football League First Division but it was a memorable one - they won the championship, the League Cup, the Welsh Cup for the first time since 1955 and were promoted to the League of Wales.
Caernarfon and Colwyn Bay opted to remain in the Northern Premier League. The Canaries were forced to play their 'home' games more than 100 miles away at east Manchester club Curzon Ashton, while the Seagulls played at the Drill Field, the ground of Northwich Victoria.
This inevitably affected their support and for the following season they moved closer to the Welsh border and to Ellesmere Port.
Newport County have been known as the Exiles since they were forced to play their inaugural season in the Hellenic League at Moreton in Marsh in Gloucestershire.
Despite returning to their Somerton Park home for two seasons, more football politics consigned them to a further two seasons of exile at Gloucester and the club was forced to resort to legal action to protect themselves from being forced out of the English football pyramid.
Matters were finally resolved by the High Court in April 1995 when the three remaining clubs in exile - Newport, Caernarfon and Colwyn - won their case against the Welsh FA and were able to return to play in Wales.
But, following a series of mediocre performances over several seasons in the Northern Premier League's First Division, Caernarfon decided to return to Welsh soccer and joined the League of Wales four months later.
Newport County remain in the English system, but their dream of returning to the Football League is as far away as ever, while Colwyn languish in the Unibond League's First Division.
Merthyr also remain in England, playing in the Southern Premier League.
Uefa may yet take a hand in the destiny of the exiled clubs and, indeed, the anomalous situation which sees Cardiff City, Swansea City and Wrexham also playing over the border.

In the summer of 1995 the board of directors decided that Caernarfon Town should return to play in Wales and the Club was welcomed into the National League by the FAW.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090313103313/http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/caernarfontown/history.pl

On 17/10/2021 at 21:52, GNU_Linux said:

Banks O'Dee, the new Dundee Harp. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Estonian league back in action, and back to its usual one-sided matches:

Today, Levadia Tallinn beat Tallinna Legion 2-0. The pre-match odds were 1.02 for the home win (or 1/50 if you prefer fractions).

Tomorrow, Nomme Kalju host Parnu Vaprus and are 1.03 (1/33) to win.

These are domestic league matches. One of Celtic or Rangers could host Cowdenbeath (last in the SPFL) at home in the Scottish Cup and would maybe be this short in odds. I know we’ve covered it in previous seasons but these are just outrageous odds for teams playing at the same level of domestic football.

Edited by Nightmare

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Estonian league back in action, and back to its usual one-sided matches:

Today, Levadia Tallinn beat Tallinna Legion 2-0. The pre-match odds were 1.02 for the home win (or 1/50 if you prefer fractions).

Tomorrow, Nomme Kalju host Parnu Vaprus and are 1.03 (1/33) to win.

These are domestic league matches. One of Celtic or Rangers could host Cowdenbeath (last in the SPFL) at home in the Scottish Cup and would maybe be this short in odds. I know we’ve covered it in previous seasons but these are just outrageous odds for teams playing at the same level of domestic football.

Bit of low scoring in the Cup Quarter Finals through the week with 3 x 2-0 and Nõmme Kalju only won 7-0 against JK Tabasalu.

From the early rounds of the Finish Cup:

Round 0

PPS/Diablos Rojos (7) 2-10 KäPa/NoLe (5)
FC Kontu/TDJ (8) 1-11 FC Kirkkonummi (4)
Olarin Kiksi (6) 0-8 FC Espoo (4)
Urjalan Palloseura (6) 0-14 P-Iirot (4)

1st Round

AC StaSi (7) 0-15 EPS/Reservi (4)
AS RaPe (8) 1-14 Atlantis FC/Akatemia (4)
Helsingin Ponnistus/Peruskallio (7) 0-9 PK35/2 (5)
Mooseksen Potku (8) 0-12 VJS/2 (5)
FC POHU/JäPa (5) 1-10 SAPA (4)
Naseva (7) 1-11 JaPS M35 (+35)
Jäppärä (6) 1-10 KumuJT/Edustus (5)
Karhulan Pojat (7) 0-11 JäPS/47 (4)
Pallo-Peikot (7) 1-17 Imatran Palloseura (4)
Ylöjärvi United FC (6) 0-12 Pallo-Iirot (4)
KJV/Kanu (7) 1-9 Black Eagles (6)
STPS (6) 0-8 Kuopion Elo (4)
SiPS (6) 0-8 AC BARCA (4)
Kolarin Kontio (6) 1-15 TP-47 (4)

Also shout out to some top tier team names like SexyPöxyt (4), Chicken Wings (5), FC POHU/Simpsons (6), AC StaSi (7) & FC Tarzan (6). FC Santa Claus (6) who were revived last year sadly put out by Tervarit (4).