Mis matched pre-season friendlys

• 2 weeks later...
There really should be a separate thread for the Estonian Cup. This is tremendous

Anija with a narrow 16-0 defeat in this round after 5-0 and 7-1 victories in the earlier rounds. Meanwhile Paide III march on with a 11-0 win.

There's also a hilarious video of the opening goal in the Levadia-Paide Meistriliiga game from the weekend that's worth watching.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Estonian Cup back in action this midweek. Been a few 7-0 type scorelines but none of the 25-0 variety.

Perhaps the best result is Nomme Kalju 1-1 Paide Linnameeskond III. Paide are a poor top flight side who are regularly beaten comfortably by the top Estonian clubs (of which Kalju are one), but their 3rd team managed to draw... before exiting on penalties. Fair play though - I'm assuming Kalju played a very weakened side.

In other 'should have been a mis-match but wasn't' stories, Dutch Cup holders Vitesse went out on penalties after a 0-0 draw away to AVV Swift, who play in the 5th tier of Dutch football. Kind of like a Hearts or Hibs going out to Selkirk.

Edited by Nightmare

Estonian Cup back in action this midweek. Been a few 7-0 type scorelines but none of the 25-0 variety.
Perhaps the best result is Nomme Kalju 1-1 Paide Linnameeskond III. Paide are a poor top flight side who are regularly beaten comfortably by the top Estonian clubs (of which Kalju are one), but their 3rd team managed to draw... before exiting on penalties. Fair play though - I'm assuming Kalju played a very weakened side.

Paide III had handed out a couple of hammerings in earlier rounds but it was definitely a huge surprise to take Kalju to penalties. No shock results apart from that in the 7 last sixteen ties played so far, although Viljandi appear to have been given a walkover over Maardu Utd.

I watched bits of the Rumori Calcio vs Kuressaare tie last night, somehow missed all the goals but the overall standard was as you would expect it to be.

3 hours ago, Markka said:

Paide III had handed out a couple of hammerings in earlier rounds but it was definitely a huge surprise to take Kalju to penalties. No shock results apart from that in the 7 last sixteen ties played so far, although Viljandi appear to have been given a walkover over Maardu Utd.

I watched bits of the Rumori Calcio vs Kuressaare tie last night, somehow missed all the goals but the overall standard was as you would expect it to be.

Are you based in Estonia?

I find the league fascinating. It's the only league I've seen in Europe where you seem to quite regularly get games where the odds are 1.01 or 1.02 for a team to win, eg. Levadia, Flora or Kalju against Viljandi or Parnu type mobs. And then those bad top flight teams will absolutely scud teams in the leagues below them. Such huge gulfs in class don't seem to exist in many (any?) other European league setups.

Are you based in Estonia?
I find the league fascinating. It's the only league I've seen in Europe where you seem to quite regularly get games where the odds are 1.01 or 1.02 for a team to win, eg. Levadia, Flora or Kalju against Viljandi or Parnu type mobs. And then those bad top flight teams will absolutely scud teams in the leagues below them. Such huge gulfs in class don't seem to exist in many (any?) other European league setups.

Not based there but find it interesting for the same reasons you do. Especially the cup since it's completely unseeded and mental. Infonet beating Virtsu 36-0 a few years back would be unthinkable in just about every other country, then Paide beat Raudteetoolised 31-0 a week later. From what I can see the latter is literally the railway workers union team.

The Eesti jalgpall facebook page live streamed a couple of the games yesterday which I where I watched Kuressaare. I've sort of adopted them as my Estonian team!

I can't understand how such scores can occur. In Scotland, how lowly ranked would the opposition have to be to ship 30 goals to Celtic. You're talking literally pub league

That's pretty much exactly what it is. I'm sure there was a double digit scoreline in the quarter finals a few years ago.

As Nightmare said, the lesser top flight teams get hounded most weeks but will then demolish lesser teams in the cup. The gulf in quality between the first and third/fourth tiers over there is significantly greater than here.

Based on the top flight results/betting odds, the difference between the top four and bottom two in the top flight is probably about the same Celtic to Montrose, Berwick or Edinburgh City. It's mental, really.

That's not even taking into account the second tier. And then the utter guff below that.

That said - given crowds are so low it's impressive teams can get superior enough as to totally dominate sides even within a division, tbf.

Last season top tier averages varied from 388 to 144; second tier from 171 to 46; third tier from 210 to 37.

EDIT: I assume European money helps, tbf, as a few clubs near-monpolise places.

Flora have played in Europe every season since 1994-95 (except 2014-15), albeit only once won a tie.

Nomme Kalju have played every season since 2009-10 (except 2010-11), and won a few ties.

Levadia have played every season since 1999-00, winning the odd tie.

Everyone else seems to scrap about for remaining place, which until a few seasons ago was largely monopolised by Trans Narva.

Edited by HibeeJibee

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

We're still a couple of weeks away from the mismatched friendlies starting but the greatest tournament in the world has thankfully started again to keep me entertained. I'm obviously not talking about the FIFA World Cup, but the 2018-19 Estonian Cup.

Last seasons tournament resumed at the quarter finals in April and with Infonet merging with Levadia, the formers second reserve team took their place in the competition and were promptly defeated 6-0 by Narva Trans. The islanders of Kuresssare, promoted to the top flight at short notice due to a combination of the aforementioned merger, Sillamäe losing their licence, and Esiliiga champions Maardu Linnameeskond declining promotion, lost 7-0 to Flora.

Levadia ended up victorious in the finals against Flora, who defeated their own second/u21 team 9-3 in the semi finals. The final itself was one of a handful of 1-0 wins throughout the full tournament.

Anyway, on to this year and Maardu United II of the sixth tier have put an early marker down with a narrow 21-2 victory over non-league Mauruse Saurused. Paide's 27-0 first round win was the largest of last years competition but there could well be a few games this weekend which may top that scoreline (and trouble Arbroaths 36-0 record).

Maardu United II's scoreline was bettered today by Kuressaare who put 22 past Lootos without reply. Couple of scores still filtering through from the east but Flora also had a resounding win, 16-0 over Tallinna Olympic.