Man In The High Castle

NorthernLights

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/11/2019 at 06:14, AFCDannyFTH said:

Season 4 is one of the best seasons of any TV show i've ever seen. Sad it's over but unlike so many other shows the way the entire story was concluded is pretty satisfying and gripping as hell to watch. 

Really? After what had gone before I found the end a bit unsatisfying. Not bad, or disappointing just a bit "oh"

ETA - really enjoyed Season 4 as a whole though but I'd say the first season was better

Edited by Mr X

Really? After what had gone before I found the end a bit unsatisfying. Not bad, or disappointing just a bit "oh"
ETA - really enjoyed Season 4 as a whole though but I'd say the first season was better
I have just finished it and agree about the ending being unsatisfying. I would also say it was disappointing compared to the rest of the season.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I've never seen this and only just recently read what it's about which sounds quite interesting. Don't know if I could start from the beginning of 4 series though.

As has been said here. All but the end is excellent TV and well worth a watch. 

• 2 months later...

Was very slow watching this over the years but my student membership of Prime running out next week sped me up and I blitzed through the last two seasons.

The show benefitted big time from Joe getting his throat slashed as he had always been a rotten character. Smith totally comes into his own and his descent into bear madness having met Al-Thomas (that's what the subtitles call him) is played to perfection. Helen develops well too and her last contribution is superbly done.

Overall, fairly pleased with the ending. Annoying that it was so vague but from reading some reviews, this seemed inevitable based on the source material. Wish they had introduced the BCR earlier as they only really began to touch on the Civil Rights Movement in season 4. Would have been nice to see the black experience as a more common theme throughout.

Overall, an excellent show. Always been a fan of alternate history but this is as well imagined as any version has ever been. The big and little details, the use of real historic characters and the design of the different locations was amazing. Interesting to watch as a history geek!

On 12/04/2020 at 00:42, paul-r-cfc said:

Just came into my head that the guy who played Robert Childan was in the Orange Wednesday adverts and I can't stop thinking about it.

He also appears as an attorney in the penultimate episode of Breaking Bad. 

image.png.e9cf7b81936bfa93e1e43d442c124dc1.png

Just finished it the other night. Superb performances from the Smiths and the higher ups in the Japanese imperial state. I agree with other people about the ending falling a bit flat in some ways but John Smith's arc was nicely rounded off and Juliana Crain stopped being irritating in her decision making and started leading from the front. Love a show which brings in a lot of actors that I don't immediately recognise and gets great performances out of them as well with Wyatt in particular being a great introduction.

RE Joe Blake

Spoiler

I couldn't stand him and the All American inevitably saves the day stuff was what put me off watching it further so imagine my surprise when he gets his tatties midway through season 3.

Just finished it the other night. Superb performances from the Smiths and the higher ups in the Japanese imperial state. I agree with other people about the ending falling a bit flat in some ways but John Smith's arc was nicely rounded off and Juliana Crain stopped being irritating in her decision making and started leading from the front. Love a show which brings in a lot of actors that I don't immediately recognise and gets great performances out of them as well with Wyatt in particular being a great introduction.
RE Joe Blake
Spoiler

I couldn't stand him and the All American inevitably saves the day stuff was what put me off watching it further so imagine my surprise when he gets his tatties midway through season 3.

Nearly punched the air when he got his totties. Didn't seem him checking out so early.

37 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:
2 hours ago, NotThePars said:
RE Joe Blake
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Nearly punched the air when he got his totties. Didn't seem him checking out so early.

Aye same! There were a few characters I assumed would have plot armour that didn't and all the better for it.

Joe was irritating, but I also couldn't stand Frank Frink - a ridiculous name and I don't think he cracked a smile throughout the entire series. So I sparked a can of celebration when he got his jotters.
Yeah, I didn't see the benefit in keeping him alive after the bomb. Would have been a good way to let him go as a badass. His lingering presence in Series 3 didn't add much to the show.

This show must be so much better to watch now all the episodes are there at once. The combination of binging it and such long gaps between series at times meant that I forgot tons of details by the time the new series arrived. Actors and characters seemed to Disappear between series quite regularly too without much of an explanation which didn’t help.

Liked the show quite a bit but think these gaps did affect my enjoyment by the end.

16 hours ago, Rodhull said:

This show must be so much better to watch now all the episodes are there at once. The combination of binging it and such long gaps between series at times meant that I forgot tons of details by the time the new series arrived. Actors and characters seemed to Disappear between series quite regularly too without much of an explanation which didn’t help.

Liked the show quite a bit but think these gaps did affect my enjoyment by the end.

I don't think the gaps made much difference (every time a new season came out i re watched it from the start). But i do agree about characters just disappearing 

• 1 month later...

Just finished this tonight and was pretty disappointed with the ending, really vague and quite a few questions unexplained.

Also how did almost everyone survive the train crash with a few minor scratches at most??

Just finished this tonight and was pretty disappointed with the ending, really vague and quite a few questions unexplained.

Also how did almost everyone survive the train crash with a few minor scratches at most??
Yeah, given how much was at stake, the vague ending annoyed me. Apparently it was very in keeping with how the books were written but as someone who didn't read them, I wanted a conclusion.