Man In The High Castle

NorthernLights

• 4 months later...

Amazon TV adaptation of Philip K Dick's sci-fi novel about the aftermath of an alternate reality World War 2 won by the Axis, conquering North America in the bargain, splitting it two ways between the Nazis and the Japanese. Season 1 was released completely online a few weeks back.

The story is quite engaging, but took me 3 or 4 episodes to figure out what was bugging me about the presentation - it's like the creators of Heroes produced and directed it, and not in a good way. Some particularly plastic characters, overly convenient plot points, and deus ex machinas. The imagining of the alternate reality North America is however very good, quite unsettling. I haven't read the book, but it feels like a heavy dramatization rather than a quite direct sci-fi translation. Maybe I'm wrong, either way it's still entertaining.

Anyway, well worth a watch, and is set up nicely for a hopefully concluding season 2. I fear it will go down the pan if they cash-cow it and go beyond the 239 page book it's based on.

Amazon TV adaptation of Philip K Dick's sci-fi novel about the aftermath of an alternate reality World War 2 won by the Axis, conquering North America in the bargain, splitting it two ways between the Nazis and the Japanese. Season 1 was released completely online a few weeks back.

The story is quite engaging, but took me 3 or 4 episodes to figure out what was bugging me about the presentation - it's like the creators of Heroes produced and directed it, and not in a good way. Some particularly plastic characters, overly convenient plot points, and deus ex machinas. The imagining of the alternate reality North America is however very good, quite unsettling. I haven't read the book, but it feels like a heavy dramatization rather than a quite direct sci-fi translation. Maybe I'm wrong, either way it's still entertaining.

Anyway, well worth a watch, and is set up nicely for a hopefully concluding season 2. I fear it will go down the pan if they cash-cow it and go beyond the 239 page book it's based on.

I enjoyed it, but you're right about the characters. It's mind boggling that any man would put up with all the shite that Juliana pulls in this. Is there a single episode where she doesn't apologise to her husband? It's strange that they changed their relationship from the book (as in the book they are already separated and have separate stories if memory serves) as I struggled to really care about them as I found the dynamic too unbelievable.

That being said, it's enjoyable. The setting is really what makes this work as it's incredibly interesting seeing America draped in Nazi/Empire propaganda. I found both the Japanese Trade Minister and the SS Obergruppenfurher much more interesting from a character standpoint. Wegener was arguably the best character as one of the few who questions the atrocities committed by the Riech during the war (and since tbf).

What worries me most I s that this season has covered the entire book and with no sequel ever written I'm a little dubious as to how the series will progress going forward. The concern is that they just drag it out for season after season and we never get a satisfactory conclusion. That being said if you e not seen this it's well worth a watch.

• 4 months later...

Just finished this yesterday.  Wonderful show - favourite charcater has to be Obergruppenführer Smith (try saying that when drunk!). The episode with Joe at his house was superb.

Looking forward to season 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed it, but you're right about the characters. It's mind boggling that any man would put up with all the shite that Juliana pulls in this. Is there a single episode where she doesn't apologise to her husband? It's strange that they changed their relationship from the book (as in the book they are already separated and have separate stories if memory serves) as I struggled to really care about them as I found the dynamic too unbelievable.

That being said, it's enjoyable. The setting is really what makes this work as it's incredibly interesting seeing America draped in Nazi/Empire propaganda. I found both the Japanese Trade Minister and the SS Obergruppenfurher much more interesting from a character standpoint. Wegener was arguably the best character as one of the few who questions the atrocities committed by the Riech during the war (and since tbf).

What worries me most I s that this season has covered the entire book and with no sequel ever written I'm a little dubious as to how the series will progress going forward. The concern is that they just drag it out for season after season and we never get a satisfactory conclusion. That being said if you e not seen this it's well worth a watch.

I'm on episode three and she's starting to apologise for absolutely everything.  For the "lead" female character, she's very grovelling.  The other issue I have is with the opening credits which have clearly been made with Game of Thrones in mind.

Otherwise I think it has been excellent.  The divided America is brilliantly portrayed.

I'm on episode three and she's starting to apologise for absolutely everything.  For the "lead" female character, she's very grovelling.  The other issue I have is with the opening credits which have clearly been made with Game of Thrones in mind.

Otherwise I think it has been excellent.  The divided America is brilliantly portrayed.

She might be the lead character but shes been thrown into a situation thats not only unfamiliar but pretty dangerous.

Great premise but ultimately a load of nonsense

Started pretty well for me

She might be the lead character but shes been thrown into a situation thats not only unfamiliar but pretty dangerous.

Started pretty well for me

Indeed. But it implies that her natural reaction to unfamiliarity and danger is to cry and/or apologise.  It's a minor niggle, I suppose, and takes nothing away from what seems like a tremendous idea.

I was gripped for the first few episodes but my interest waned towards the end.  Not sure how the ending differs from the book, but suspect the need to keep their options open for season two might have contributed towards that.

I'll definitely continue watching when it arrives though.

Indeed. But it implies that her natural reaction to unfamiliarity and danger is to cry and/or apologise.  It's a minor niggle, I suppose, and takes nothing away from what seems like a tremendous idea.

Would that not be most peoples reaction to the situation though?

• 2 months later...

Finally watched all of season 1. 

Was really enjoying it all. Then the last scene comes along :lol::lol: fucking inception eh? 

Best theme song on something for ages tho.