Growing old.

I'm 36, wear a grey suit 5 days per week and do an old woman's job. I tried playing 5's with some of the lads on here recently. f**k me I wanted a defribulator after ten minutes.

I'm not a people hater though but just want a quiet life, nae dramas and a takeaway on a Friday night.

Give it a couple of years and you'll not be wearing a grey suit so often, for fear of a post pee dribble on the way back to your desk!

I'm 39 next month.

Find it quite acceptable to sit down to pee.

I sit down to put any clothes on.

I still look young, folk think I've just turned 30. Probably because I grow a patchy beard and suffer from the odd wee bout of acne.

I spray deep heat before I play 5s as my ankles can't take it.

On the plus side I gave up fags 3 years ago and haven't had stronger than a shandy in the same time. It wasn't that long ago I was smoking 20+ a day and regularly buying 8 cans straight off the bus after work.

Drinking a lot of green tea recently!

I'm considering buying an old Jaguar. Yeah, I'm getting old.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit my half century eighteen months ago, and assumed the occasional aches and pains were the norm.

Got diagnosed with early-stage cancer last summer, which was a bit of a bummer, in all honesty.

But...

My treatment was (so far) completely successful,

I've jacked in the fags (after thirty years),

I'm eating more healthily,

I've cut right down on alcohol (not consciously, just not bothered really),

I'm exercising regularly (actually bought a road bike),

And I've lost two and a half stones in weight.

Admittedly, a lot of the improvements are directly related to the cancer, and I certainly can't see chemotherapy and radiotherapy becoming a new diet fad, but every cloud, eh?

Bottom line is that I'm better off physically than I have been for fifteen years or so, and the NHS is checking me regularly for any recurrence. So, shite year with a (so far) positive outcome, then.

Plus, getting old might be unpleasant, but it beats the crap out of the alternative!

Question for the auld c***s on here.

At what point do you stop fancying the young dolly birds and start appreciating the milfs and gilfs? I'm only 33 and still find them most attractive in their early 20's, which is fine because I can pretend to myself that if I dump my missus I can still go after a bit of what I fancy. I worry though that when I'm in my late 40's I'll still fancy the same age range and it will depress me that I have next to no chance of pumping what I like at that point, forcing me to accept whatever my lot is at that time.

I'm not sure why, but with the very odd exception I just don't like the older women. Will that change or do you just accept whatever you can get?

That's just your preference, surely. No idea why it would be certain to change as you get older. I always preferred the older lassies, and that's still true now. I also like ladies with a bit of meat on them, which is enough to get you burned at the stake in some circles :P .

Each to their own - if you end up single in your fifties, you'll just have to look out for twentysomethings who're into old duffers. It's not like they don't exist, as I'm sure our resident old duffers can attest.

I swithered with giving 11's another go for years, kept putting it off for one reason or another until last year, I hit 31 and realised it had been over a decade. Got right back into it straight away then, realised it's probably last chance saloon. My legs have been sore now since last September but I'm going to cling on til something snaps or crumbles.

Age is a sneaky fucker.

Hit my half century eighteen months ago, and assumed the occasional aches and pains were the norm.

Got diagnosed with early-stage cancer last summer, which was a bit of a bummer, in all honesty.

But...

My treatment was (so far) completely successful,

I've jacked in the fags (after thirty years),

I'm eating more healthily,

I've cut right down on alcohol (not consciously, just not bothered really),

I'm exercising regularly (actually bought a road bike),

And I've lost two and a half stones in weight.

Admittedly, a lot of the improvements are directly related to the cancer, and I certainly can't see chemotherapy and radiotherapy becoming a new diet fad, but every cloud, eh?

Bottom line is that I'm better off physically than I have been for fifteen years or so, and the NHS is checking me regularly for any recurrence. So, shite year with a (so far) positive outcome, then.

Plus, getting old might be unpleasant, but it beats the crap out of the alternative!

f**k, I'm older than him. I still play 5s regularly, more to annoy others than actually contribute.

Was playing 5's fairly regularly with a load of younger guys into my late 40's.

The minute I hit my 50's I began to hit health problems. My left knee gave up the ghost at the same time.

Vascular problems gave me breathing difficulties, but on the plus side tests showed my heart and lungs were strong as ever. Prostate in good nick also. Never having smoked helped there.

Was playing 5's fairly regularly with a load of younger guys into my late 40's.The minute I hit my 50's I began to hit health problems. My left knee gave up the ghost at the same time.Vascular problems gave me breathing difficulties, but on the plus side tests showed my heart and lungs were strong as ever. Prostate in good nick also. Never having smoked helped there.

Never smoking is a huge issue. But any breaks for work, holidays, injury etc take longer to recover, and you never quite get back. Still not stopping though.

I'm the same age as the number of cocks that Randall's girlfriend has sucked. My knees have just started getting stiff and sore, but that's probably more to do with my weight than my age. Been unfit for years, so not much of a difference there. Generally, I quite like getting older so far, as my seething hatred for all humanity has mellowed somewhat, and I've got a lot more patience. Libido's died off to a degree, but that's hardly a terrible thing; not like I'm married to an aching hole constantly yearning to be filled like Mozza.

I remember back to the days when I could put my socks on standing up, rather than finding something (not too low) to sit on first.

Jesus, this. Humiliating to have lost that amount of flexibility.

My mum's got to the point where she's having trouble cutting her own toenails, so I'll have to volunteer for that to be my job soon :shutup

I'm only 36 and since I've packed in the smoking i feel fitter. I've accepted the fact that I'm getting a bald patch at the back, and I've told the boy that cuts my hair to let me know "when it's time".

I don't play 5's as often as I did and I've noticed that wee knocks that used to be gone for the following week are now taking 4 weeks to heal. My main bugbear about the 5's is that I used to be the fast c**t. Now the younger lads are getting away from me. Well, they would, but I've discovered being a dirty b*****d helps nullify that.

^^^ Lee McCulloch

At 36, the only real physical difference I've noticed so far is that I need to perform at least a token gesture of a warm-up before playing football. When I was younger I could just turn up at 1 minute to kickoff when it's -5 degrees and immediately sprint about and slide into tackles etc. Now that would likely result in a pulled hammy/groin.

I've not played 11s for a couple of years but that was down to the risk of injury as I'd be completely f**ked for work. There's a risk with fives too of course, but not so many arseholes jumping into reckless challenges in appalling conditions.

My right leg is full of metal from a road accident when I was 20 so that will no doubt start to play up at some point. They said at the time I'd likely suffer from arthritis by the age of 30 but tbh I feel as fit as ever at the moment. I still eat whatever I want and have been the same weight for 15 years, much to the annoyance of my good lady who, by the looks of what she makes herself for lunch most days, grazes mainly on grass and other greenery to ensure she stays slim.

I can also confirm that the urge to plough ladies in their early 20's remains for now.

I've started washing my new car every week, something I never used to bother about (when I did, it was always the jet wash) , is this another sign that I'm getting old??

I've started washing my new car every week, something I never used to bother about (when I did, it was always the jet wash) , is this another sign that I'm getting old??

Quite possibly.

If you don't actually have a car, it might be a sign of something else.

Archived