Fort Up In Flames

HibeeJibee

My mate plays for them and I went to see them play Preston Athletic in the cup a few years ago.  They won and played pretty well - John MacLeod up front was a really good player and he has subsequently left them for Brora and now Buckie.

It's a difficult situation they are in though, I hope they pull through.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My mate plays for them and I went to see them play Preston Athletic in the cup a few years ago.  They won and played pretty well - John MacLeod up front was a really good player and he has subsequently left them for Brora and now Buckie.
It's a difficult situation they are in though, I hope they pull through.

Do you know if most of the players live in the area?

20 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do you know if most of the players live in the area?

19 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

A lot of the players are Inverness-based I believe.

My mate lives in Inverness, they have players who train there and then travel to games together.  I think a few of the players do live in the Fort William area though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very little.

No Junior football - nearest teams are in Inverness and Alexandria.

No Amateur football - there is a summer Skye & Lochalsh league but the only mainland teams are Glenelg and Gairloch-Aultbea United.

(I suppose you could argue proximity to Oban Saints who play in SAFL alongside Cowal, Kintyre and mainly Glasgow clubs).

Locally the only other football seems to be the summer midweek Lochaber Welfare League.

In 2016 this contained 3 Fort William teams (Caol Utd, Tekkerslovakia, Nevis Range), Ballachulish, Mallaig, and Fort William's U17s.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Very little.

No Junior football - nearest teams are in Inverness and Alexandria.

No Amateur football - there is a summer Skye & Lochalsh league but the only mainland teams are Glenelg and Gairloch-Aultbea United.

(I suppose you could argue proximity to Oban Saints who play in SAFL alongside Cowal, Kintyre and mainly Glasgow clubs).

Locally the only other football seems to be the summer midweek Lochaber Welfare League.

In 2016 this contained 3 Fort William teams (Caol Utd, Tekkerslovakia, Nevis Range), Ballachulish, Mallaig, and Fort William's U17s.

Fort have signed players from Saints so certainly part of their recruitment catchment area but as you say, SAFL is focused on Glasgow/EK so there will be almost no interest for Lochaber locals to play in it.

anyway, as far as I know Fort William seem set to continue in the SHFL after their recent public meeting- not absolutely 100% sure but more likely than not. Hopefully the question of them playing in some diddy amateur league won't arise. They have a poor record but somehow I see them as important geographically not only for the SHFL but for an area that has very little access to senior football.

6 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

anyway, as far as I know Fort William seem set to continue in the SHFL after their recent public meeting- not absolutely 100% sure but more likely than not. Hopefully the question of them playing in some diddy amateur league won't arise. They have a poor record but somehow I see them as important geographically not only for the SHFL but for an area that has very little access to senior football.

Tbh, if they ever did quit HL, presumably it'd be to fold - as opposed to continue in North Caledonian, Juniors or Amateurs?

Otherwise travelling issue would remain but less ££ and prestige.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2017 at 09:15, thekorean said:

Claggan seems like such a lovely place to watch a football match.

No chance we will ever see them in League Two? Would be a terrific away day I imagine.

That they cannot seem to win more than 5 games in a season tends to rule out promotion.

• 5 months later...

Archived