Rocket League

Dave1875

• 1 month later...

Haven't had my ps4 on for ages, today I get a spare half hour, load up Rocket League and there's only a mother-fucking shiny, gorgeous Delorean available for download!!!!!!

£1.69 later and I'm tearing up the up the pitch like a mad, drunk Doc Brown type geezer, imagining my opponents are driving VW campervans amd screaming "take that Libyans" when I score.

I'm in love with this game all over again now :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting worse and worse at this game.

I started off scoring goals, getting amongst it, and saving shots etc. But then I just fell off a cliff and missing everything. Not even ranked play with better players etc. could explain it.

I think I'm over-thinking it and being too cautious.

Still, it's a great game for a spare half-hour. Lovin' it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Downloaded this last night, would say I had more fun playing 20 minutes of this than 20 hours of FIFA. Only played against the AI so far, still taking a bit of getting used to. Narrowly winning on rookie when you deduct the 7 goals a game you score straight from kick off, won a couple of 3 vs 3s on pro but been carried by team mates as I've been the lowest points total in each of them. SO easy to play a couple of quick games though so it'll be a good while before I get bored with this.

I assume the cars / custom mods you unlock as you level up make your car faster / handle better, but I can't see any way to compare them?

I am not convinced the other cars actually change anything other the appearance. I think if they do, they should have something displaying the differences. and personally I think this would be better.

I haven't noticed any differences between cars however I have only switched models a few times.

There are differences to the vehicles, but they are subtle - which in an unsubtle game may seem a waste of time, but if you try out each one (the computer league games are the best way to do this) you'll find the one that suits your game style the best.

For example, try dribbling with the Merc van, then try doing it with anything else. The converse is try skidding round to dash back to defend with the Merc & watch the air turn blue.

The crucial part is the differing surface areas of each vehicle which will affect the physics of how each strikes the ball and how they move when they skid (the latter is possibly the most underestimated skill in the game). This is where the individualism comes to the game & makes two matches rarely the same even with the same players. You'll often find Rookie players waste their money on the De Lorien car thinking it's going to make them better & having tantrums when they discover they're not carrying all before them.

One thing you will find in the online games is how quickly a team 3 nil up can find itself 3-4 down if they neglect their defence. I can't think of any other online game which punishes greed & lack of team work so ruthlessly, & sometimes it can be to your advantage if players rage quit during a tanking so you get the AI players which are programmed for teamwork- saw a number of games turn on this by the human player staying in goal & letting the bots do the business.

Downloaded this last night, would say I had more fun playing 20 minutes of this than 20 hours of FIFA. Only played against the AI so far, still taking a bit of getting used to. Narrowly winning on rookie when you deduct the 7 goals a game you score straight from kick off, won a couple of 3 vs 3s on pro but been carried by team mates as I've been the lowest points total in each of them. SO easy to play a couple of quick games though so it'll be a good while before I get bored with this.

I assume the cars / custom mods you unlock as you level up make your car faster / handle better, but I can't see any way to compare them?

There is a thread regarding the car differences on the psyonics forum, which may be of interest.

http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13078

There is a thread regarding the car differences on the psyonics forum, which may be of interest.

http://www.psyonix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13078

Cheers, getting right into it now, apart from the merc not really noticed much difference. Played my first online matches tonight, scored a winner with 8 and 4 seconds left in the last 2 games, good time to call it a night.

I'm guessing the online system tries to just find a close match to your level? In terms of levlling up, can you be dragged up by playing in a winning team even if you contribute next to nothing but get XP for the match win?

I'm guessing the online system tries to just find a close match to your level? In terms of levlling up, can you be dragged up by playing in a winning team even if you contribute next to nothing but get XP for the match win?

The match making system has been the subject of much discussion, as has the awarding of ranking points. I have seen numerous games where top players get 0 points when winning, then get matched against the same player in the very next game.

The best explanation I have seen is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3uv3xu/how_the_ranking_system_and_matchmaking_works_the/

The match making system has been the subject of much discussion, as has the awarding of ranking points. I have seen numerous games where top players get 0 points when winning, then get matched against the same player in the very next game.

The best explanation I have seen is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3uv3xu/how_the_ranking_system_and_matchmaking_works_the/

Not really so fussed about ranking points, I have no pretensions of actually being any good, I was actually more concerned that if I played in team games and won despite doing next to nothing then I'd get dragged up the levels via XP to a level I'd have no chance of competing at (currently semi-pro)- as it is from your link, I can see it's a hidden algorithm. Cheers.