Norway

I was in Molde for the Scotland game, lovely place but literally f**k all there. Spent most of the day in the sports bar, one of the very few pubs in town, paying about £10 a pint. My mate fell asleep at some point so we were swiftly evicted, where we moved onto a bar that overlooked the water, right beside the stadium where it was about £25 for 2 pints!

Oslo wasn't as bad, I'm sure it was about 7-8 a pint in the city centre.

• 10 months later...

I'm just back from Bergen.  I really liked it.  A good walking city and a nice vibe.  The fjord trip I did was also excellent.  In terms of scenery, Norway is probably the best I've ever been to.  Boiling hot though, I'd go again but in winter next time to see the city in a totally different way.

Also, has anyone been to Svalbard?  Seemingly it's opening itself more for tourists now and you can fly from Edinburgh via Oslo for about £200 return.  I'd be intrigued to go, as it'd be something totally different.

41 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I'm just back from Bergen.  I really liked it.  A good walking city and a nice vibe.  The fjord trip I did was also excellent.  In terms of scenery, Norway is probably the best I've ever been to.  Boiling hot though, I'd go again but in winter next time to see the city in a totally different way.

Did you book the fjord trip in advance or did you just turn up?

I did the Norway In A Nutshell tour.  It's a proper tour but there's no guide and you do it all yourself, but the tickets are booked all the way through.  Takes all day and includes the fjord trip (which was brilliant) and the Flåm Railway to Myrdal.  The Flåm Railway is one of the steepest in the world and the views are incredible.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

I did the Norway In A Nutshell tour.  It's a proper tour but there's no guide and you do it all yourself, but the tickets are booked all the way through.  Takes all day and includes the fjord trip (which was brilliant) and the Flåm Railway to Myrdal.  The Flåm Railway is one of the steepest in the world and the views are incredible.

Had a look at it but I'm only over for 3 nights and it looks like a long day. Think I'll just do the 3 hour fiord trip from Bergen and take the cable car to the restaurant up Ulriken mountain, and spend the rest of the time wandering about, trying not to spend too much on beer.

On 7/5/2015 at 22:30, kerrdavidson95 said:

Working for Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, I've been lucky enough to see a good bit of Norway, and it's a really nice country, if not a bit expensive.

If I don't get to when I'm on board, I'm planning a trip to Norway, in particular Molde & Kristiansund in the More og Romsdal Region. It's dubbed as the Worlds Best Roadtrip.

While I'd love to take my nippy wee Polo GT, the 2000 miles each way isn't feasible, so I'm wondering, has anyone had any experience of flying to and hiring cars in Norway?

Not directly related but Harry Metcalfe (founder of EVO car mag) bought a 1969 Rolls Royce from EBay and drove from from Oxfordshire to the arctic circle.  An enjoyable yarn:

Edited by The_Kincardine

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Had a look at it but I'm only over for 3 nights and it looks like a long day. Think I'll just do the 3 hour fiord trip from Bergen and take the cable car to the restaurant up Ulriken mountain, and spend the rest of the time wandering about, trying not to spend too much on beer.

I was there three nights.  The trip I did was about 0843 and got back about 1730.  It depends what way round you do it.  If you do the Flåm Railway on the way there it's a far longer day as I recall.  I don't know how much beer was, but a bottle of Coke was about £4!

Edited by Highland Capital

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Not directly related but Harry Metcalfe (founder of EVO car mag) bought a 1969 Rolls Royce from Oxfordshire to the artic circle.  An enjoyable yarn:

Cheers for that. Watching his trip to Italy now in a Wraith. It's like going back to vinyl after decades of Top Gear and Grand Tour and their shitty jokes.

• 2 months later...

Around £6.50 a pint for the local lager in Bergen so far, not in grotty places. Not as bad as feared. Any normal meal is about double, £20 odd for a sit down burger and chips in a restaurant.

P.S. Much bigger than I thought, built up all the way from the Airport on the light railway, around 45 minutes.

P.P.S. Tenner for cider, stick to the local brew if you're a skinflint.

On 03/08/2018 at 20:29, Eoin Doyle said:
Spending the night in Oslo on the 15th then Molde on the 16th. Looking forward to it. 

Molde is a decent wee town, although there’s f**k all there. Sports bar in town, which is under the big hotel on the main street about £10 a pint.

It’s  a cracking wee stadium as well. 

Edited by MONKMAN

Spending the night in Oslo on the 15th then Molde on the 16th. Looking forward to it. 
Oslo is alright theres a few cheapish pubs around the harbour area and a decent sports bar on the main drag

The women are stunning as expected, not sure how we're preprogrammed to fancy Viking birds, must be in our genes. Was approached by a hoor in the rain asking if I wanted a quickie, hate how obvious it is I'm not getting my hole. Half regretting declining the offer.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eoin Doyle said:

Wasn’t impressed with Oslo yesterday tbh. 

Only just arrived in Molde and the place looks better than Oslo. 

The sportspub is doing the same deal that it did when scotland played in Molde,its pretty central and about 5 min walk from the obligatory irish pub

25 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The sportspub is doing the same deal that it did when scotland played in Molde,its pretty central and about 5 min walk from the obligatory irish pub

Currently in the hotel across the road from it. Waiting for it to open :lol: 

Edited by Eoin Doyle

6 minutes ago, Eoin Doyle said:

Currently in the hotel across the road from it. Waiting for it to open :lol: 

The quality inn ??? Same one i stayed in for the scotland game,im pretty sure monkman was in there aswell (basically said hello to some queens fans so im making a massive assumption it was monkman :thumsup2)

14 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The quality inn ??? Same one i stayed in for the scotland game,im pretty sure monkman was in there aswell (basically said hello to some queens fans so im making a massive assumption it was monkman :thumsup2)

That’s the one mate. 

Just Canni wait for the game now. Gonna be some day out regardless. 

Were you sitting having breakfast with a female companion, and myself and a couple of mates were at the table beside?