Norway

Working for Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, I've been lucky enough to see a good bit of Norway, and it's a really nice country, if not a bit expensive.

If I don't get to when I'm on board, I'm planning a trip to Norway, in particular Molde & Kristiansund in the More og Romsdal Region. It's dubbed as the Worlds Best Roadtrip.

While I'd love to take my nippy wee Polo GT, the 2000 miles each way isn't feasible, so I'm wondering, has anyone had any experience of flying to and hiring cars in Norway?

While I'd love to take my nippy wee Polo GT, the 2000 miles each way isn't feasible, so I'm wondering, has anyone had any experience of flying to and hiring cars in Norway?

Norway is a brilliant country and is pretty cheap to fly to. A Gatwick/Stavanger flight for £120-200 depending on when you book? There are also Aberdeen/Stavanger flights.

The problem is costs when you're in Norway. If you're hiring a car, staying in hotels and eating out......then £200 a day would be a cheap budget.

Working for Fred Olsen Cruise Lines, I've been lucky enough to see a good bit of Norway, and it's a really nice country, if not a bit expensive.

If I don't get to when I'm on board, I'm planning a trip to Norway, in particular Molde & Kristiansund in the More og Romsdal Region. It's dubbed as the Worlds Best Roadtrip.

Car Hire is a fortune. Consider hiring a car in Sweden. Also possible to get the ferry to Holland and then Denmark. Might still be to much. I used to live there and drove from Trondheim to Bergen once or twice a year. Really miss the ferry.

Norwegian are also flying out of Edinburgh now, not sure what their reputation is like but they are apparently pretty cheap in a Ryanair sort of way.

No complaints about Norwegian. I had a phase not that long ago when I was working for a firm based in Stavanger but also seeing a girl in Stockholm.

I've flown plenty of times with Norwegian and haven't a bad word.

• 2 weeks later...

Was there for the Scotland Norway friendly a year or two back, best country I've visited. It is expensive, but was worth it. Molde is a smashing place and you should stay at Kviltorp camping if you go. They do these cracking big cabins right on the water a 2 minute drive from the airport, photos will follow:

post-15335-0-35492300-1437243126_thumb.j

post-15335-0-94725100-1437243133_thumb.j

post-15335-0-91222700-1437243141_thumb.j

post-15335-0-50700500-1437243150_thumb.j

post-15335-0-38702100-1437243158_thumb.j

post-15335-0-36007800-1437243165_thumb.j

I was there a few years ago. A beautiful place. It's like a High School geography class come to life. Fjords, Ox Bow lakes and all that other pish that bored you shitless when you were 13.

As others have said, it's expensive as f**k and it doesn't help that the local coins are so puny that you don't give them the respect that they deserve. A tin of coke or a bar of chocolate costs about £2.50 but you don't realise at the because you're handing over what seems to be a pile of coppers.

I didn't venture far beyond Oslo but it was still well worth a visit.

I go to Norway with work every now and again, and although it has some spectaclar scenery, it would not be on my holiday list. As been mentioned above it is so expensive. Hotels, public transport, eating and drinking out. You would need a shit load of spending money for a week over there.

• 7 months later...

Off to Bergen later this month after getting flights from Heathrow for £90 return. Assuming things will be a bit cheaper than usual with the oil price being so low. Anyone been before?

No there not,Bergen is decent for a weekend but take out a mortgage before you go.Theres a small town centre around the harbour with decent pubs etc

I spent 3-4 years working all over Norway and parts of northern Finland and ive even drove there twice from the UK.

You can get to Norway from Edinburgh but you will have to stop at Helsinki no matter what way you fly.

I agree Norway is super expensive for food i once saw a tin of peas at £3.00 !Amazing place with amazing people the further north you go the crazier they get but in a good way :)

Hurtigruten is a service that travels up and down the coast lovely views but defo not a cruise ship more like a ferry full of germans with no entertainment.

Ive been on the Wideroe lots of times its a tinyish prop plane, the back seat is like what you get on a bus, the first time i was on it was from Harvik to Alta and when it landed it came in sideways everyone on the plane was laughing and i was looking around like wtf, i had my hand gripping some old ladys knee who was sitting next to me, she laughed it off. The pilot swung it round and landed it with no probs. i fkn shat it lol

You can get a season pass for it too the Norwegians use it as a "hopper"

Applepine is probably the same as all other food 2-3 times more expensive than here, a few examples:

Family size pkt crisps £5.00
Haribos from pound shop £4-5
A chicken £8-10
Steak £20
Burger and chips mcd's type £15

Totally amazing place though, mountains and fjords on every turn mile after mile after mile after mile, my favourite area in probably up Lakselv

Was in Trondheim when Saints played Rosenborg a couple of seasons ago. Scenery going into Trondheim itself was nice enough, but Trondheim itself had about as much life as a cold, dark, wintry Tuesday night in Montrose.

Guy at work was in Molde for the Celtic game....pint of beer and a drink of coke from the skoosher - £14.

Oslo isn't as expensive as elsewhere in Norway and there are a couple of jaikey pubs quite near the centre where the cost of beer is almost bearable.

• 1 year later...

Bump

I'm looking at going up to Tromso this winter, I went to harstad / Narvik with work once and have wanted to go back to the north of Norway ever since.

Anyone been up that far? Also what's the situation with the light? Is December/ January a write off due to the darkness or is it just dim as opposed to dark dark?

Thanks in advance.

On 3/15/2016 at 12:20, Hampden Diehard said:

Guy at work was in Molde for the Celtic game....pint of beer and a drink of coke from the skoosher - £14.

Oslo isn't as expensive as elsewhere in Norway and there are a couple of jaikey pubs quite near the centre where the cost of beer is almost bearable.

Yep, found a few of those, and they were rammed full of undesirables. Wasn't that impressed with Oslo. 

Moss was lovely though, lovely little town, with some fantastic restaurants.