21's that have stepped up

Cambusglen Celt

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny picked up an injury in a cup final at end of season but still has a few senior clubs interested once he's fit. I believe big Wallace is knuckling down and getting fit to play this year at a better level than before...

He's bulked up far too much. He was much better when he was about 19/20. Still had broad shoulders but had pace to burn and skill to go with it.

He has all the tools to be a top striker apart from the attitude it seems.

What exactly happened at Knightswood, how can you go from being the most successful team of a decade to disappearing just like that. Did the guy who managed them or run them just have enough? lack of finance? illness?

The season they folded they lost everything at the final hurdle. League title on the last day, Scottish Cup on pens etc. The manager (Michael Pender) was leaving anyway I believe, and I think the majority of the squad were too old for the next season.

It wasn't anything to do with illness as I believe Mr Hague is still in good health? I think it was more to do with the heartache if you like of that season, along with so many players and management leaving and the thought of rebuilding from scratch again.

IIRC they never won The Scottish during their successful period and I think that season, the way it ended was a hammer blow to everyone at the club.

Sorry to be pedantic but campsie best knightswood 3-2 aet that year no penalties needed-plus most of that campsie side now playing junior or senior

Campsie, Knightswood and Rutherglen Glencairn were all very good teams that year.Very little between them all.

Sorry to be pedantic but campsie best knightswood 3-2 aet that year no penalties needed-plus most of that campsie side now playing junior or senior

Glencairn u21s beat Knightswood with 93rd minute winner (Ross McNeil's 100th goal of the season) to win the league and deny Knightswood the title. Three days later our boys also beat Knightswood on penalties in the West of Scotland Cup final.

That must have been hard for Knightswood to take, I believe they wound up the team a few days later if my memory serves me correctly.

He hasn't really settled anywhere yet since that 100-goal season.

My understanding is that McNeil only wants to play regular football and he didn't mind taking a step back to do that. He left a promotions winning side last year to play junior football. Fair play to him.Think Nomad is a bit unfair.

My understanding is that McNeil only wants to play regular football and he didn't mind taking a step back to do that. He left a promotions winning side last year to play junior football. Fair play to him.Think Nomad is a bit unfair.

It wasn't me who called him a Nomad.

hold on there I will dispute the karaoke king part buddy lol

ahem. Well obviously he got his singing and dancing skills from his parents!! (As long as he doesn't inherit his old man's bad back!!)

Over the last few years I have seen various threads that talk about the 21’s and specifically what happened with Knightswood.

Knightswood where thee most successful side in providing junior football with talented players from under 21's over the last 15- 20 years.

Some went to the top and other played out a career making a decent name for themselves at their respective club(s).

The year that Knightswood folded I have read on here many variations and here is the truth from someone that was as close to the management as can be.

That particular year the WoS 21's had three teams that were exceptional and in my opinion probably are the best teams that the league will see for some time. Knightswood, CBW & Glencairn had probably their best teams for a number of years and they were all competing against each other in that one season.

To name a few that have went onto junior from that particular Knightswood team:

GK, Mark Crawford (Glencairn), Fraser Barbour (Ashfield), Marc Russell* (Clydebank, Glencairn), Reece MacGillion (Shettleston), Danny McKenzie(PPOTY @ Kwood)(Rob Roy), Craig McCready(Clydebank, Rossvale), Jamie Hunter (Rob Roy), Kenny Marshall (Shettleston), Gav Stokes (Irvine Meadow), Darren Miller (POTY @ Kwood)(Albion Rovers, Medda, Queens Park, Dumbarton), Fraser Team (Rob Roy, Rossvale), Jamie Boyle (Dalry).

Apologies if I may have missed anyone from that team, but basically these boys played every competition they competed in 5 cups,right through to at least the semi-final stage and league.

Why Knightswood are no longer is a lot simpler than a lot of the stories that go about, basically these players had a bond with their manager in Mick Pender. He was always finishing at the end of the season and when these boys realised it they knew that this team had ended. There was still a nucleus of 13/14 players from that squad that had at least another year left at 21’s so that dispels that myth that they were all too old.

Mr Hague had taken Knightswood for 39 years and had done more than most can ever dream about in football terms. This team separating and then trying to rebuild was just a step to far for Mr Hague.

Knightswood was a phenomenon that will never ever been seen again at 21’s!

I wish all that are still involved at this level all the best as I know what effort and commitment it takes to produce good teams at this level.

Hopefully this puts an end to the rumours of what happened and what didn’t happen with Knightswood.

All good things must come to an end!...

This is pretty much how I understand it to have been too.

Personally knowing a lot of these boys and Mick himself if he'd been given some of the junior jobs he's been quoted for or intersted in then a whole host of these boys would have no hesitation in jumping ship to play for him, even now I'm sure most would.

Unfortunately these clubs chose not to offer somone fresh the chance to take their club forward........... it's a bit like my comment earlier in the thread where clubs chose 'experienced juniors' over some of the fresh talent coming from 21s.

P.S. His name is spelled Haig not Hague.........just saying.

Archived