21's that have stepped up

Cambusglen Celt

I know mate.

Was using Daz and Andy as examples of the untapped talent that can be found in the amateurs as well.

There's plenty players playing amateur good enough ability wise to step up if they have the right attitude and are willing to dedicate themselves a wee but more.

sound chief. Yeah there is defo talent from the ams it's just a matter of finding it.

Mon the papers

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty players capable of stepping up. There's an element of some not having the right attitude / commitment etc but also that some don't get the chance as too many junior managers favour experience over ability bizarrely.

Plenty players capable of stepping up. There's an element of some not having the right attitude / commitment etc but also that some don't get the chance as too many junior managers favour experience over ability bizarrely.

That's a fair point as well. There's a certain element of snobbery from the juniors when it comes to taking players from the amateur or youth/u21 game.

The top 21s and top amateur sides could hold their own against most junior teams.

Dunno about that Crazy feet ... suspect you're right in a one off game - but its similar to the Juniors are as good as 4th tier senior. One off Scottish ties ... mibbee ( although think the stats prove otherwise ) but play regularly and more often than not a beating would occur. Having said that we've had some great additions from u21s and Ams football ... Budgie has no fears in using them.

Top end Super League, your Talbots and Hurlfords etc are obvoiusly a class apart. But the vast majority of junior sides aren't any better than your top amateur and 21s teams - imo of course.

The Drumchapel United team of a few years ago used to beat and compete with top level junior sides regularly. People will say ''ach it's only a friendly, it doesn't matter''. Maybe right in a sense but not when it's consistent results over a period of time. If I was playing in a junior side and an amateur team was beating me, friendly or not, surely professional pride comes into it?

Top end Super League, your Talbots and Hurlfords etc are obvoiusly a class apart. But the vast majority of junior sides aren't any better than your top amateur and 21s teams - imo of course.

The Drumchapel United team of a few years ago used to beat and compete with top level junior sides regularly. People will say ''ach it's only a friendly, it doesn't matter''. Maybe right in a sense but not when it's consistent results over a period of time. If I was playing in a junior side and an amateur team was beating me, friendly or not, surely professional pride comes into it?

We lost several years ago to Harmony Row and they were a very good young team. Over the course of a season I'm not sure that they would of been consitently good enough as we beat them 3 months later by 6 goals.

I agree there is a jump but IMO it is down to the level of training etc they are getting at their 21's. I watched Tower Hearts season before last and the boy Boyd did not really impress me but he was very impressive when I saw Kilbirnie 4 times this season. Also remember watching Cieran McAlroy with Knightswood and twice the year before he signed for Bankies and wasnt impressed, in fact I thought there was 2 or 3 better prosepects that him in the team but to be fair he tore us apart at home at the start of the following season.

Some guys take to the step well others it might take some time and I think sometimes some of the boys need to have a wee bit more patience rather than leaving clubs after only a few months.

We lost several years ago to Harmony Row and they were a very good young team. Over the course of a season I'm not sure that they would of been consitently good enough as we beat them 3 months later by 6 goals.

I agree there is a jump but IMO it is down to the level of training etc they are getting at their 21's. I watched Tower Hearts season before last and the boy Boyd did not really impress me but he was very impressive when I saw Kilbirnie 4 times this season. Also remember watching Cieran McAlroy with Knightswood and twice the year before he signed for Bankies and wasnt impressed, in fact I thought there was 2 or 3 better prosepects that him in the team but to be fair he tore us apart at home at the start of the following season.

Some guys take to the step well others it might take some time and I think sometimes some of the boys need to have a wee bit more patience rather than leaving clubs after only a few months.

boyd has impressed me as well.mostly with his workrate and dig..scored a Barrowload for tower hearts and step up hasn't been too much for him..

Agree with pretty much all of this. Some really good points.

The talent is out there in 21s and amateur. Teams could do a lot worse than send their scouts out to Premier 21s games every week, or to Central Scottish/Caley League amateur games. Maybe not your top sides who are competing at the top end of the Super Prem and have aspirations of winning it but certainly teams a little bit further down the ladder where perhaps budgets are tight etc.

Agree with pretty much all of this. Some really good points.

The talent is out there in 21s and amateur. Teams could do a lot worse than send their scouts out to Premier 21s games every week, or to Central Scottish/Caley League amateur games. Maybe not your top sides who are competing at the top end of the Super Prem and have aspirations of winning it but certainly teams a little bit further down the ladder where perhaps budgets are tight etc.

I agree with you on the scouting, but in some ways it can be difficult to get someone like that who wants to take on the role normally for no money (or in some cases petrol money).

I think more junior teams need to look at working with Under 19/21 or amateur teams. You are right there are some excellent talents in these leagues and with the delayed transfer between SJFA/SYFA it is an ideal oppertunity for teams to work together.

Like I said earlier the only concern I have is weakening the U19/21 on a regular basis but the flip side is that it can give other team the oppertunity to come through.

I agree with you on the scouting, but in some ways it can be difficult to get someone like that who wants to take on the role normally for no money (or in some cases petrol money).

I think more junior teams need to look at working with Under 19/21 or amateur teams. You are right there are some excellent talents in these leagues and with the delayed transfer between SJFA/SYFA it is an ideal oppertunity for teams to work together.

Like I said earlier the only concern I have is weakening the U19/21 on a regular basis but the flip side is that it can give other team the oppertunity to come through.

The thing with 21s is that the team loses all of their squad within a 2/3 year period anyway when guys get too old to play.

Don't agree with that for starters a top under 21 team wouldn't beat a West premier or super first or your top central first or top of table central second, no way.

Top five or six amateur sides that's a different ball game a lot of them Will be of a similar standard to a lot of junior teams in some cases better but throw one of them in a super league West or east they would be relegated.

Don't agree with that for starters a top under 21 team wouldn't beat a West premier or super first or your top central first or top of table central second, no way.

Top five or six amateur sides that's a different ball game a lot of them Will be of a similar standard to a lot of junior teams in some cases better but throw one of them in a super league West or east they would be relegated.

You are underestimating the standard of the top 21s team from years past. The Campsie side of 3/4 years ago beat a super premier Ashfield in a friendly and also played Kilsyth Rangers on a regular basis during a season and the junior side never defeated them.

We played campsie two three years ago in a friendly beat them four nil with players missing. Imagine them playing super league sides no a regular basis, physically mentally it would be to much for them.

We also played drumchapel Utd couple years back they were decent and we only won two nil, they obviously had older players in the team and would do better in the juniors but still struggle once the start playing higher up junior sides .

Every time we have played campsie or harmony row and One one or two others over the years we have beat them easily, that's to be expected , Just if we played a decent senior league 2 team they would beat us.

I am not having a go at under 21 football, I was praising it earlier on this thread, it is what it is a breeding ground where excellent young players come from who can learn and develop at junior level and either become a good junior or even move into senior football.

Hopefully Big Moochie (Murchie) and Stuart Davidson from Bonnyton Thistle can achieve at least as much as Tiny and big Broony (Karaoke king) in their first season at Blair Park.

hold on there I will dispute the karaoke king part buddy lol

Is the boy from Goldenhill a striker? I watched Goldenhill play in a cup final not last season but the season before. They had a small striker who stole the show and was a clear stand out. Fast, good finisher and didn't take any crap. If it's the same boy then I think Clydebank have got a very good player!

Great wee player seen him in a few games for Goldenhill in the last 2 seasons and he has showed up well.....never say die attitude,an eye for goal,but a can be a bit of a hothead at times....heard from one of the Goldenhill guys he had a few senior clubs interested.....

Goldenhill Player of the Year Shaun Kelly tonight signed for Yoker Athletic.

Are you the gaffer of goldenhill or do you have some connection to them?

What happened to the striker that played 2 seasons ago he was quality but could be a bit temperamental? I think others are asking about him on this but could be wrong.

Was his name Danny? He scored in the defeat to glencairn at shettlestons ground. He was class always thought he would go senior if he calmed down on the silly suspensions.

Archived