As the new season nears.....

Nugent4nil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to have been a influx of younger punters coming to our games over the last season or so - not huge, but encouraging.

Where the "black hole" seems to be are the people between mid-twenties and late thirties, basically the Sky Sports generation - football fans who get their fix from an armchair or a bar stool, the kind who could reel off the whole Stoke City team but haven't been inside a ground for years.

I agree i am 34 now and for years i have been trying to get a pal or two along, only managed to bring one along semi regular.

The problem with guys in this age range is some play football or another sport,or work a Saturday or family commitments .I am somebody who gave up playing 11s at 21, i am lucky as don't work Saturdays, and manage to get around family stuff to get to the junior game Just about every week most can't do this. It's a shame really as the guys in the age range of 20-40 are the guys junior football clubs are screaming out for , not just watching games but getting involved in either clubs business, manual work or social media.

but recently if u ask him who he supports it's bankies first then barca then celtic. Job done on him 2 more 2 go

Mon the papers

He was just saying that to get you to shut up ha.

Armadale v Broughty East Super League play off played on the 10th June a lovely summer's evening with an Attendance of over 600 which is about 5 times the normal gate proves the only way forward for junior football is summer football. I know many problems exist but it's done in other countries with a similar.climate eg Ireland so let's solve the problems.

Any summer football league would have games scheduled today. There will be parks that wouldn't be playable given the amount of rain that's fallen. Also it takes quite a leap to take as proof a game that is by definition a one off and an extremely important one. Which btw if we had summer football would have been played in Oct/Nov ... As would the Cup Final. I'm not against change per se ... But would prefer to see a winter break rather than a change to the season whole scale. Oh and when does the grass recover ... Between nov and March ? obvs they get round it in other places but not sure how that one works.

There are regular, committed supporters when genuinely believe in summer football, safe standing, selling alcohol etc etc as the cures to football's problems. But I also get the impression that there is a lot of the support for these ideas from people that are more casual supporters. Might go, might not and that won't change if any of the changes are made.

Its always gonna be tough to attract more fans.

Especially as gone are the days of the vast majority of people working mon-fri, 9 til 5. I missed most of our promotion season a couple of years back cos i was basically working every Saturday.

How about increasing the drama of the show. No draws allowed ... straight to Penalty-Shoot-out. Change the points system to; WIN = 5 points, Penalty Shoot-out WIN = 2 points. Change the card system to Pink, Yellow then Red. Scrap the Offside Rule. Holding, pushing etc! whilst ball not in play should be treated as a foul. All Free kicks should be taken from the Half-Way Line. Simulation of a foul should result in a Pink Card ( Oh! The SHAME!) Simulation of an Injury should result in a caning or whipping. Yellow cards should result in a 10 minute Sin Bin. I could go on .....

How about increasing the drama of the show. No draws allowed ... straight to Penalty-Shoot-out. Change the points system to; WIN = 5 points, Penalty Shoot-out WIN = 2 points. Change the card system to Pink, Yellow then Red. Scrap the Offside Rule. Holding, pushing etc! whilst ball not in play should be treated as a foul. All Free kicks should be taken from the Half-Way Line. Simulation of a foul should result in a Pink Card ( Oh! The SHAME!) Simulation of an Injury should result in a caning or whipping. Yellow cards should result in a 10 minute Sin Bin. I could go on .....

Don't though.

How about another baw being introduced in injury time?

Yes there was probably 100 people from other clubs at the game but the fact is people do not want to attend football nowadays in freezing wet weather supporting a grade of football where almost 2 months have been lost in postponements. Then we have the farce where clubs are asked to play 3 or in some cases 4 games a week in a 4 or 5 week period, I know there are problems with summer football but if we continue with our head in the sand junior football is certain to die. Broughty also also had 5 times more people at the first game. I do not think you would get these crowds at normal league games but I am convinced that more people would be attracted to Junior football

Don't start on summer football please in the juniors. We have summer football. The season starts in August and ends the second weekend in June. We just play the majority of games in the depth of winter whereas we could be playing 15 games from 1 April through to the end of June. Maybe we should have the scottish cup start in April and finish in June as this is the one trophy that causes fixture congestion for all clubs with postponements etc. And get rid of the 2 leg semi final

They're are many things that could be done to improve the grade as a spectacle but many of them require an initial outlay and the cooperation of a governing body whose resistance to change never fails to amaze.

Other than junior football Every brand in the world changes its product to freshen their product up whether it's through advertising or trying to capture a different audience .

Take irn bru for example which is a cheap and cheerful product but their advertising skills are great through their fanny tv adverts to their own tarted up version of the snowman theme tune which once again was a great advert that captured various age groups with their brand.

Junior football doesn't do enough to delve into the younger audience for me and the term "junior"

or " let's go to a junior game" sounds far from trendy for young kids at school who would rather go about with messi and ronaldo tops on rather than junior tops.

Likewise kids would rather play FIFA 15 all day long on a Saturday rather than attend a local junior match ; this wasn't always the case when I grew up as we as a group always attended our local junior game after the youth club finished at 2pm on a Saturday .

That's another point do youth clubs where kids play a variety of sports even exist anymore or once again are the kids more happy playing playstation games all day long rather than go to a youth club followed by a local junior game ?

The biggest problem for me though is live sky games at noon followed by Jeff stellings results programme which despite being excellent viewing it encourages thousands of guys countrywide to go to asda and get cheap beer followed by putting on lots of coupons and then retiring all day on the couch with Jeff , Charlie , Merson etc , I can think of dozens of guys who followed Beith in the past who do this every Saturday rather than attend our games.

Don't really know the answers to getting the crowds back but maybe better marketing , more advanced fixture lists and trying to capture the younger audience with maybe a new name for our product away from junior could be a start .

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril COTM

As always a thread goes....... the whole point of this wasnt to state what's wrong just to ask what clubs had planned to try and get people back to the juniors!

But surely you need to establish what's wrong though firstly if you want to rectify them and make positive plans. ?

A half decent fixture card rather than at times not knowing who your playing week to week would maybe be a start in attracting people back ?

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril COTM

Never got this watching sky sports thing all day, if i wanted to in the past i could stick a few coupons on , get down for a 2 kick off , home or pub for the start of second half or not long after, see the senior scores coming in then take in whatever match at 5.30 was on. Would be able to watch my local team and able to get in see the scores come in at the nitty gritty part of the senior games , rather than sitting watching results pile in for hours which gets mind numbiley boring.

Would these type of fans even think about looking at a fixture card weeks before hand and plan what to do, is it more just a spontaneous thing where they think you know what i fancy watching the local team today , don't really care who they are playing.

A proper fixture list and some marketing of the game for a start. I have said on various threads the east should pick a Saturday early in the season and Bill it as a super saturday Derby day. Get the press involved and get people talking about the game

I agree i am 34 now and for years i have been trying to get a pal or two along, only managed to bring one along semi regular.

The problem with guys in this age range is some play football or another sport,or work a Saturday or family commitments .I am somebody who gave up playing 11s at 21, i am lucky as don't work Saturdays, and manage to get around family stuff to get to the junior game Just about every week most can't do this. It's a shame really as the guys in the age range of 20-40 are the guys junior football clubs are screaming out for , not just watching games but getting involved in either clubs business, manual work or social media.

34 ppfftt

Archived